Spiderman - into the spider verse.

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Spiderman - into the spider verse.

Post by madd0ct0r »

Howard Taylors Review says all I wanted to, without spoiling anything.
Filmmakers, especially those working on the Marvel Cinematic Universe, have done a fine job of showing us what super-hero movies can be.

Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse, shows us what a comic-book movie can be. Also, it demonstrates the difference. A super-hero movie might be based on stories told in comics, but a comic-book movie tells its story the way a comic-book tells it, using tools that movies don’t often use.

Marvelously, no, miraculously, it did that without being silly, or looking down its nose at the art form in the way the 1960’s Batman TV series seems to.

I could say more, and do so at great length, but to my mind this film expands the very syntax of cinematography, making it difficult for me to describe the experience to anyone who hasn’t experienced something like it.

As I can’t think of anything else like it for you to experience, I guess you’ll just have to go see it.

Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse clears my Threshold of Awesome, and additionally clears my “let’s spend enough money so all four kids can see it in the theater” threshold.

It is a really excellent piece of art that is state of the art. go see it.
"Aid, trade, green technology and peace." - Hans Rosling.
"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Re: Spiderman - into the spider verse.

Post by Crazedwraith »

I hope to see this soon.

Also learn to hyphenate Spider-Man and use Title Case.
Tribble
Sith Devotee

Post by Tribble »

Without going into spoilers...

While I enjoyed the movie overall the motion blur and animation style combined to give me a bit of a headache by the end of it. I've never experienced that particular problem before with 3-D movies, animated movies, strobe lighting, movies with a different frame rate like the Hobbit etc, so it was a bit jarring for me. I'm sure most people are fine with it though.

Also IMHO the movie may have done a bit better if there were fewer characters (in particular the spider-people) to focus on. Yes, yes rule of fun and all that and YMMV, I just felt that a couple of the characters weren't really fleshed out because there simply wasn't enough time to give them all equal footing. Which I know wasn't really the point of including them, but I just felt they were a bit superfluous.

That being said those are more nitpicks more than anything and I'd certainly recommend watching it.
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - The official Troll motto, as stated by Adam Savage
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

Man how did this only get TWO replies??
Just watched it downloaded. (I USED To say "I just watched after it came out on DVD, but who does that anymore?)

I laughed,
I cried,
I had deep moments of intense philosophical contemplation about the meaning of existence.
It was one hell of a movie and one hell of a trip. And boy did it have a LOT of "Well I didn't see that coming" moments.

And yes, the animation style truly was something new, it was mind blowing in the true sense of the word.
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
NeoGoomba
Sith Devotee

Post by NeoGoomba »

This movie was goddamned incredible. I thought people were being hyperbolic about it, but it delivered in every sense of the word. Humor, pathos, respect for the source material, it knocked them all out of the park.

And that isn't even touching on the absolutely perfect animation style. I admit the first few minutes were a little jarring, but after that my eyes/mind adjusted and just basked in it.

Plus it's got a mini-montage set to "Man in Motion", for fuck's sake!
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it. Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know...tomorrow."
-Agent Kay
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Crossroads Inc. wrote: 2019-03-03 11:56pm Man how did this only get TWO replies??
And I hadn't even seen it when I commented on it. Now, I have but I don't have anything interesting to say on it but It was very very good.

Just a couple of things: Spoiler
The two big things I remember is really liking how they handled the main Peter's death. It wasn't a big grand heroic sacrifice, nor did Miles get him killed needed to be protected. (Ala Hot Rod/Optimius Prime), it really feels like it was just a regular adventure for Peter were he got unlucky, could have happened at any point.

The other was what Tribble said; each member of the spider-team that gets introduced get a little less focused. The last three are particularly shorted. And I'd really dig a Spider-Gwen spin-off.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

And again because i forgot about the spoiler tag's deficiencies.
Spoiler
The two big things I remember is really liking how they handled the main Peter's death. It wasn't a big grand heroic sacrifice, nor did Miles get him killed needed to be protected. (Ala Hot Rod/Optimius Prime), it really feels like it was just a regular adventure for Peter were he got unlucky, could have happened at any point.

The other was what Tribble said; each member of the spider-team that gets introduced get a little less focused. The last three are particularly shorted. And I'd really dig a Spider-Gwen spin-off.
KraytKing
Jedi Knight

Post by KraytKing »

God, I fucking LOVED Noir Spider-Man. I wish he'd gotten a little more attention. But overall, I thought the movie was great. Animation style was cool, music was good, and the villain was cool. I loved how stylized he was, how much it was a comic book movie.
If you don't know your rights, you don't have any.
--Mace

The Old Testament has as much validity for the foundation of a religion as the pattern my recent case of insect bites formed on my ass.
--Solauren

I always get nervous when I hear the word Christian.
--Mountain

Brought to you by Carl's Jr.
Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zixinus »

I feel that the problem with Noir, Pig and Penni spiders were that they didn't have much to contribute. You could have left out Noir and you've only comedy and extra fighters mostly. Penni's more important bit was making the goober.

Except for Pig, who turned around by giving his bit in Mile's room. I wish the other two spiders would have also done that.

I wonder whether there will be a director's edition with extra bits.
Credo!
Chat with me on Skype if you want to talk about writing, ideas or if you want a test-reader! PM for address.
madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Post by madd0ct0r »

For me, it was the reveal of doc. Everything i knew about spider man was in play but i couldn't assume anything.
"Aid, trade, green technology and peace." - Hans Rosling.
"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

Zixinus wrote: 2019-03-05 12:42pm I feel that the problem with Noir, Pig and Penni spiders were that they didn't have much to contribute. You could have left out Noir and you've only comedy and extra fighters mostly. Penni's more important bit was making the goober.
They contribute a sense of variety and bigness.

You couldn't really give them more to do without negatively affecting the pace of the work. So just having them be there and be really different from Miles, Gwen, and Peter B fills out the body of the movie without them getting in the way.
PhoenixKnig
Padawan Learner

Post by PhoenixKnig »

No wonder it has an Oscar
Bullets always have the right of away
Ender
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ender »

Gotta say, Hobo Spider-man, the Petee Parker who grew up in the 90s with all this promise and hope but is now in his mid 30s having fun lost his shirt in the recession and having a string of bad relationships and divorce behind him, really speaks to me as a millennial

Great film. We've been doing superhero movies as a major thing for a while now, but this felt like the first real comic book movie. Wonderful timed humor with inspirational schmaltz, visually amazing, perfectly cast.

Probably worth noting that Disney took Lord and Miller off Solo, and we got a boring paint by numbers film that was entirely forgettable. Sony let them run hog wild, and they claimed Disney's usual Oscar.
بيرني كان سيفوز
Nuclear Navy Warwolf
in omnibus requiem quaesivi, et nusquam inveni nisi in angulo cum libro
ipsa scientia potestas est
PhoenixKnig
Padawan Learner

Post by PhoenixKnig »

Ender wrote: 2019-04-12 11:40pm Gotta say, Hobo Spider-man, the Petee Parker who grew up in the 90s with all this promise and hope but is now in his mid 30s having fun lost his shirt in the recession and having a string of bad relationships and divorce behind him, really speaks to me as a millennial

Great film. We've been doing superhero movies as a major thing for a while now, but this felt like the first real comic book movie. Wonderful timed humor with inspirational schmaltz, visually amazing, perfectly cast.

Probably worth noting that Disney took Lord and Miller off Solo, and we got a boring paint by numbers film that was entirely forgettable. Sony let them run hog wild, and they claimed Disney's usual Oscar.
Kind of makes you wonder what would been the Solo movie look like with them Behind the Chair
Bullets always have the right of away
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Vendetta wrote: 2019-03-05 05:52pm
Zixinus wrote: 2019-03-05 12:42pm I feel that the problem with Noir, Pig and Penni spiders were that they didn't have much to contribute. You could have left out Noir and you've only comedy and extra fighters mostly. Penni's more important bit was making the goober.
They contribute a sense of variety and bigness.

You couldn't really give them more to do without negatively affecting the pace of the work. So just having them be there and be really different from Miles, Gwen, and Peter B fills out the body of the movie without them getting in the way.
Gwen and Peter B provide versions of Spider-Man from different angles of the character.

Like how Peter B represents how the actual character can grow worn, in contrast to Perfect Peter's rose-tinted representation of the brand and franchise (akin to Luke Skywalker in TLJ vs. fan preconceptions), how the character can get bumps and bruises and sink to lows even while the image remains immortal.

Perfect Peter is the brand, the idealized image and idea of Spider-Man. Gwen and Peter B show the nitty gritty of trying to live up to the brand, Gwen at the angsty earlier phase whereas Peter B is how the character continues on as the brand's been there for a while, taking bumps and bruises and sinking to lows while struggling with the burden of the Spider-Man legacy - akin to the task creators face when handling a superhero intellectual property, or how later and newer works struggle to match the classics. (Akin to Skywalker in TLJ wrestling with his legacy, folding and then rising, which is a commentary on the franchise and fanbase too.) Because Into the Spider-Verse is meta as fuck.

Noir, Penny and Pig are less character-based as they are references to other genres of comics and animation that influence, and are influenced by, Spider-Man and superheroes in general. So you've got cartoons, anime and manga, and hardboiled noir... which actually fits since the lone crime-fighter figure actually does inform a lot of the superhero genre.
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

Noir, at least, was based off a rather good comic miniseries set in the 1930s wherein Peter is living in the Great Depression, so it's based off an existing work, rather than a cultural influence, or at least not solely a cultural influence.
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

FaxModem1 wrote: 2019-04-15 10:32am Noir, at least, was based off a rather good comic miniseries set in the 1930s wherein Peter is living in the Great Depression, so it's based off an existing work, rather than a cultural influence, or at least not solely a cultural influence.
Seeing as superhero comics draw on the ubermensch concept, which in the US went from the lone ranger cowboy to the urban equivalent of the noir hero, that Spider-Man has a version that really is Noir is unsurprising, and that existing work and Spider-Verse that based it on that existing work are... still based on cultural influence (just operating on more layers then) :P
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!