The Orville: Season 2

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Re: The Orville: Season 2

Post by FaxModem1 »

Well, Kelly's decision to not date Ed led to a lot of dominos. Their lack of marriage and her guilt over the affair made her never make him Captain, leading to Dr. Claire Finn to never come on-board, leading to Isaac never dating her and bonding with her kids, which led to him never stopping the Kaylons from destroying all organic life.

It's a heck of a "For lack of a Nail" scenario.
JI_Joe84
Padawan Learner

Post by JI_Joe84 »

FaxModem1 wrote: 2019-04-30 12:35am Well, Kelly's decision to not date Ed led to a lot of dominos. Their lack of marriage and her guilt over the affair made her never make him Captain, leading to Dr. Claire Finn to never come on-board, leading to Isaac never dating her and bonding with her kids, which led to him never stopping the Kaylons from destroying all organic life.

I never liked these kind of story lines. Sci-fi is suppose to lead us metaphorically to be better people but these stories seem to say one person is far more important than any one else, and if I've learned any thing in life it's that no one is more important than any one else.
Rogue 9
Scrapping TIEs since 1997

Post by Rogue 9 »

JI_Joe84 wrote: 2019-04-30 11:02pm
FaxModem1 wrote: 2019-04-30 12:35am Well, Kelly's decision to not date Ed led to a lot of dominos. Their lack of marriage and her guilt over the affair made her never make him Captain, leading to Dr. Claire Finn to never come on-board, leading to Isaac never dating her and bonding with her kids, which led to him never stopping the Kaylons from destroying all organic life.

I never liked these kind of story lines. Sci-fi is suppose to lead us metaphorically to be better people but these stories seem to say one person is far more important than any one else, and if I've learned any thing in life it's that no one is more important than any one else.
In absolute terms you're not wrong, but in a particular situation a given person can be more important than other people. For instance, in the course of my job I am more important than a green new hire, because if you remove the new hire I'll still get the job done, but if you remove me the rookie will be completely lost. In this case, the command crew of the Orville were important because a different command crew would have had different interactions with Isaac and would probably not have conceived of or if they did succeeded in the shuttle escape to recruit the Krill. The Battle of Earth hung by a thread, and without Commander Grayson, Lieutenant Malloy, and Dr. Finn and her children on board the Union would have lost.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
TimothyC
Of Sector 2814

Post by TimothyC »

Good news, it's been renewed for Season Three.
"I believe in the future. It is wonderful because it stands on what has been achieved." - Sergei Korolev
JI_Joe84
Padawan Learner

Post by JI_Joe84 »

TimothyC wrote: 2019-05-12 01:02am Good news, it's been renewed for Season Three.
This is good! Very good!