Doctor Who Series 37 Episode 8 - "The Witchfinders" Spoilers

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Doctor Who Series 37 Episode 8 - "The Witchfinders" Spoilers

Post by Crazedwraith »

Another fun episode, with an alien menace rather than a pure historical.

The treatment of James I seemed a little inconsistent from camp humour to the horror of witch hunting.

And the first episode I've seen where the Doctor in the past gets treated really differently because of her sex.

But yeah, called the Doctor was going to be called a witch.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Re: Doctor Who Series 37 Episode 8 - "The Witchfinders" Spoilers

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Crazedwraith wrote: 2018-11-25 02:24pm Another fun episode, with an alien menace rather than a pure historical.

The treatment of James I seemed a little inconsistent from camp humour to the horror of witch hunting.

And the first episode I've seen where the Doctor in the past gets treated really differently because of her sex.

But yeah, called the Doctor was going to be called a witch.
Really, how could she not be? It was inevitable.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Yeah, I don't claim great insight with that prediction.
SpottedKitty
Jedi Master

Post by SpottedKitty »

Crazedwraith wrote: 2018-11-25 02:24pm The treatment of James I seemed a little inconsistent from camp humour to the horror of witch hunting.
Actually, less camp and more historically accurate — it's right there in the record that James was known to have a few... "special" male friends over the years.
“Despite rumor, Death isn't cruel — merely terribly, terribly good at his job.”
Terry Pratchett, Sourcery
madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Post by madd0ct0r »

SpottedKitty wrote: 2018-11-26 04:26pm
Crazedwraith wrote: 2018-11-25 02:24pm The treatment of James I seemed a little inconsistent from camp humour to the horror of witch hunting.
Actually, less camp and more historically accurate — it's right there in the record that James was known to have a few... "special" male friends over the years.
As well as being the wisest fool in all Christendom. And yay Pendle hill!

Was banned from going up it by my parents lest "weird folk" tempt me away.
"Aid, trade, green technology and peace." - Hans Rosling.
"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

Finally saw it last night and rather enjoyed it. An interesting subversion where it seems like the alien menace aren't actually malevolent and then...boom. And interesitng look at it all, though I can't comment on historical accuracy because I know sod-all about that period. But the writing was good, the performances were excellent (especially James, so wonderfully hammy).

Also, I only noticed this in this episode so it may not be new, but the TARDIS translation circuit now seems to translate idioms as well - Ryan says "I feel you" to James and James knows what he means. Whereas Nine tried telling Dickens he was a "number one fan" and that Charles had no idea what he was on about.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.