Prospect

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Nari
Youngling

Prospect

Post by Nari »

Some new and interested hard Sci-Fi in a Independent film.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSpw22HPdHU

Saw this today in a limited run in the Chicago area. My wife, who tolerates but doesn't seek out Sci-Fi, thoroughly enjoyed it.

The ads I saw on facebook lean on the quote "this is what a stand-alone Star Wars film should be", and while I think it would be a bit small for a stand alone SW film, I had a great time. It's a good use of Sci-Fi in that it creates a believable rationale for the situation and hence the story which then largely boils down to a strong character drama western.

Pedro Pascal (who you may remember from one of the more disturbing character demises in season 4 of Game of Thrones) was great to watch, and I hope we'll be seeing more of Sophie Thatcher.

In comparison to some recent SW outings, the film used 'show, don't tell' and an effective Chekhov's gun. While some things weren't immediately obvious (such as the mechanics of the gem removal) I never once had a problem with breaking SOD.

So if you have the opportunity, I'd recommend it.
B5B7
Jedi Knight

Re: Prospect

Post by B5B7 »

Looking at the trailer I like that on an alien planet they are wearing suits and helmets. It would be good to see more of that in movies and TV series - not people blithely wandering around as if they are on Earth without any kind of protection from alien factors.
TVWP: "Janeway says archly, "Sometimes it's the female of the species that initiates mating." Is the female of the species trying to initiate mating now? Janeway accepts Paris's apology and tells him she's putting him in for a commendation. The salamander sex was that good."
"Not bad - for a human"-Bishop to Ripley
GALACTIC DOMINATION Empire Board Game visit link below:
GALACTIC DOMINATION