The Emperor's Poopships

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Beowulf
The Patrician

Re: The Emperor's Poopships

Post by Beowulf »

madd0ct0r wrote: 2018-11-03 08:11am My first thought was the hive would want the water and the ship to minimise mass, so the transported stuff would be vacumn sealed crates of compressed dry shit cake.

My second thought waa that 40k does not give a shit about mass, and a wet sludge is easier to bulk trabsport as you can pump it around.

Where does the cargo lie on the Bristol stool chart?
You could dry it and powderize it, so you can pump it around, without the extra mass of water.
"preemptive killing of cops might not be such a bad idea from a personal saftey[sic] standpoint..." --Keevan Colton
"There's a word for bias you can't see: Yours." -- William Saletan
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

Beowulf wrote: 2018-11-10 07:03am
madd0ct0r wrote: 2018-11-03 08:11am My first thought was the hive would want the water and the ship to minimise mass, so the transported stuff would be vacumn sealed crates of compressed dry shit cake.

My second thought waa that 40k does not give a shit about mass, and a wet sludge is easier to bulk trabsport as you can pump it around.

You could dry it and powderize it, so you can pump it around, without the extra mass of water.
You'd need the water though, exporting so much food would also mean exporting water and unless yours was a water world with deep unsalted oceans you'd need to get water back.

Also, dried powdered waste would be a fire/explosion risk depending on how finely it was powdered.
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Jub wrote: 2018-11-10 02:18pm
Beowulf wrote: 2018-11-10 07:03am

You'd need the water though, exporting so much food would also mean exporting water and unless yours was a water world with deep unsalted oceans you'd need to get water back.

Also, dried powdered waste would be a fire/explosion risk depending on how finely it was powdered.
You assume the Imperium cares about OSHA :P

That said, the water thing is possibly an issue as well, but I dunno, they could always divert a few comets? either that or generate it via hydrogen and oxygen?
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

Elheru Aran wrote: 2018-11-10 02:39pmYou assume the Imperium cares about OSHA :P

That said, the water thing is possibly an issue as well, but I dunno, they could always divert a few comets? either that or generate it via hydrogen and oxygen?
They don't care what happens to the crew and the dockworkers, but they'd care if an explosion damaged the ship or somebody important.

They probably could generate water that way, it depends on how much they actual export yearly and what the planet's reserves are like. On a world like our own, they might even just use the oceans for most of the crop yield and the land for living space and other less dense farming.