Dr who series 37 ep3 rosa parks

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Re: Dr who series 37 ep3 rosa parks

Post by Tsyroc »

The Romulan Republic wrote: 2018-10-24 04:45pm
I'll sort of give them a pass on not doing it in this episode, since they clearly wanted the focus to be on Rosa Parks and the civil rights movement, but the Doctor should have been getting some unpleasant reactions as a woman too, and a really superb episode would have found a way to acknowledge that, and tie it into the larger themes.

Edit: That said, the Doctor has tended to just walk into any time or place and just be the Doctor. Really, his odd appearance and mannerisms should be drawing negative reactions from any pre-20th. Century society he visits, but the show usually glosses over it.
In this episode I let it slide based on people allowing for her being British instead of an American.

I thought it was a little odd that no one commented about their clothes though. They kind of stood out.
By the pricking of my thumb,
Something wicked this way comes.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Post by EnterpriseSovereign »

Tsyroc wrote: 2018-10-24 07:56am I kind of saw Graham having to be directly involved coming, although I thought he was going to have to pretend to be the historical bus driver. What they did instead was better and tied nicely back into his history with his wife to give it a little emotional umpf for his character.

I can't say I enjoyed this episode but it was well done. I've watched the last two seasons of Timeless and it has dealt with racism in different historical periods quite a bit but this episode of Doctor Who did a better job of getting across how nasty it could be.

Mentioning Timeless has got me wondering if they plan on the Doctor running into some serious sexism while time traveling? I would imagine so.
Checking the Wikipedia entry, looks like Timeless has been cancelled... again. Though at least the series will be wrapped up in a made-for-tv movie due just before Christmas.

Anyway, I remember the first episode (centred around Hindenburg) showing the protagonists locked up in a police station, and when Carlin took exception to the racist cop calling him "boy", he went and brought three or four of his mates. Fortunately Logan was there to put a stop to the beating they were going to dish out in his cell.
tezunegari
Jedi Knight

Post by tezunegari »

The Romulan Republic wrote: 2018-10-24 04:45pm That said, the Doctor has tended to just walk into any time or place and just be the Doctor. Really, his odd appearance and mannerisms should be drawing negative reactions from any pre-20th. Century society he visits, but the show usually glosses over it.
That might be a function of the Timelord clothing inside the Tardis similar to the Psychic Paper that shows people whatever they expect/wish to see.
At least that's how I would interpret it from an in-universe explanation.
Out-of-Universe the writers simply want to tell a certain story that doesn't use the Doctors appearance as a part of it, so they ignore it.
"Bring your thousands, I have my axe."
"Bring your cannons, I have my armor."
"Bring your mighty... I am my own champion."
Cue Unit-01 ramming half the Lance of Longinus down Adam's head and a bemused Gendo, "Wrong end, son."
Ikari Gendo, NGE Fanfiction "Standing Tall"
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

I remember one episode mentioning that the TARDIS has something that prevents most people seeing a police box as unusual. Probably the same thing with the Doctor's clothing.
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Post by EnterpriseSovereign »

bilateralrope wrote: 2018-10-27 09:06pm I remember one episode mentioning that the TARDIS has something that prevents most people seeing a police box as unusual. Probably the same thing with the Doctor's clothing.
This.
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

tezunegari wrote: 2018-10-27 08:51pm That might be a function of the Timelord clothing inside the Tardis similar to the Psychic Paper that shows people whatever they expect/wish to see.
At least that's how I would interpret it from an in-universe explanation.
Out-of-Universe the writers simply want to tell a certain story that doesn't use the Doctors appearance as a part of it, so they ignore it.
I agree. I think my issue with it was that I watched the first three episodes too close together before talking about them here so I was probably thinking "how is that working without the Tardis around?".

I also wouldn't be surprised if Time Lords had a low level bit of telepathy that contributes to it some even if the Tardis isn't around.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

EnterpriseSovereign wrote: 2018-10-27 06:30pm Checking the Wikipedia entry, looks like Timeless has been cancelled... again. Though at least the series will be wrapped up in a made-for-tv movie due just before Christmas.

Anyway, I remember the first episode (centred around Hindenburg) showing the protagonists locked up in a police station, and when Carlin took exception to the racist cop calling him "boy", he went and brought three or four of his mates. Fortunately Logan was there to put a stop to the beating they were going to dish out in his cell.
I'm not surprised. It always seemed on the verge.

I was skeptical about it at first but got to where I enjoyed it, mostly because time was being changed, and I thought they handled racism and sexism well enough. I was starting to get a little annoyed with what looked like Rittenhouse always coming back around to be a problem. They did some pretty messed up stuff in the last season to one of the character's past and I wasn't sure why they only went that far.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.