Doctor Who Series 37 Episode 2 - "The Ghost Monument" Spoilers

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Re: Doctor Who Series 37 Episode 2 - "The Ghost Monument" Spoilers

Post by Crazedwraith »

Tsyroc wrote: 2018-10-24 07:35am The knife comment, "Only an idiot carries a knife.", (was that in the first episode?) bugged me because I pretty much always carry a knife and I thought it might be pandering to the government in the UK but later on a character was saved by someone who was carrying a knife. So that pretty much nullified my annoyance with the knife comment, for the most part. :) "Idiot" seems rather harsh though. :D
I just looked it up it was the first episode after she created her "swiss army sonic":

“Sonic screwdriver – well I say screwdriver, but it’s a bit more multi-purpose than that. Scanner, diagnostics… tin opener. More of a… sonic Swiss army knife. Only without the knife. Only idiots carry knives.”

It is probably a nod to the recent spate of knife crimes in London. And I don't personally object but that's a cultural thing, (and I actually carry tiny penknife most places). I think though she declaims, Thirteen clearly doesn't have a trouble with people using them to rescue people in this episode but carrying them on the regular with the intent of stabbing people is clearly a no-no. (Not that you do of course)

The gun thing episode was amusing, if a little forced. You could as easily take 'don't use guns that you aren't trained in using and are too small to put down what you are shooting at permanently' from Ray's problems.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

You could also probably take that as the Doctor saying "What kind of technologically backward person uses a mere knife instead of a sonic screwdriver?" Ie, knives are crappy because they're primitive tech, not because they're violent.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

Don't use a gun. Not when an EMP bomb is much quicker.