Doctor Who Series 37 Episode 2 - "The Ghost Monument" Spoilers

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Re: Doctor Who Series 37 Episode 2 - "The Ghost Monument" Spoilers

Post by Crazedwraith » 2018-10-24 06:23pm

Tsyroc wrote:
2018-10-24 07:35am
The knife comment, "Only an idiot carries a knife.", (was that in the first episode?) bugged me because I pretty much always carry a knife and I thought it might be pandering to the government in the UK but later on a character was saved by someone who was carrying a knife. So that pretty much nullified my annoyance with the knife comment, for the most part. :) "Idiot" seems rather harsh though. :D
I just looked it up it was the first episode after she created her "swiss army sonic":

“Sonic screwdriver – well I say screwdriver, but it’s a bit more multi-purpose than that. Scanner, diagnostics… tin opener. More of a… sonic Swiss army knife. Only without the knife. Only idiots carry knives.”

It is probably a nod to the recent spate of knife crimes in London. And I don't personally object but that's a cultural thing, (and I actually carry tiny penknife most places). I think though she declaims, Thirteen clearly doesn't have a trouble with people using them to rescue people in this episode but carrying them on the regular with the intent of stabbing people is clearly a no-no. (Not that you do of course)

The gun thing episode was amusing, if a little forced. You could as easily take 'don't use guns that you aren't trained in using and are too small to put down what you are shooting at permanently' from Ray's problems.
To the brave passengers and crew of the Kobayashi Maru... sucks to be you - Peter David

The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic » 2018-10-24 06:33pm

You could also probably take that as the Doctor saying "What kind of technologically backward person uses a mere knife instead of a sonic screwdriver?" Ie, knives are crappy because they're primitive tech, not because they're violent.
"Well, Grant, we've had the devil's own day, haven't we?"

"Yes. Lick 'em tomorrow though."

-Generals Sherman and Grant, the Battle of Shiloh.

"They are nearer to me than the other side, in thought and sentiment, though bitterly hostile personally. They are utterly lawless - the unhandiest devils in the world to deal with - but after all their faces are set Zion-wards."- Lincoln on radical Abolitionists.

"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?"-Terry Pratchett's DEATH.

I am a dual citizen of the US and Canada.

bilateralrope
Sith Marauder

Post by bilateralrope » 2018-10-24 07:48pm

Don't use a gun. Not when an EMP bomb is much quicker.