Who is your favourite NuWho Doctor (so far)?

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Who is your favourite NuWho Doctor?

9th Doctor
36%
10th Doctor
23%
11th Doctor
27%
12th Doctor
14%
War Doctor
No votes
None - I hate the show and I'm here to troll! Give me a cookie!
No votes

Total votes: 22

Tribble
Sith Devotee

Who is your favourite NuWho Doctor (so far)?

Post by Tribble »

The new series is about to start this weekend! Yay! :D

In celebration, I thought we' could take a walk down memory lane and talk a bit about NuWho so far.

So to kick things off,

How would you rank the Doctors (from worst to best)?
What is your favourite episode for each Doctor?
How would you rank each season (from worst to best)?
Overall, do you prefer the RTD or Moffat era?
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - The official Troll motto, as stated by Adam Savage
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Re: Who is your favourite NuWho Doctor (so far)?

Post by Enigma »

Matt Smith's Doctor is my personal favorite.

I tend to really get into the series and his episodes tugs at my heart strings, especially with eps like "Vincent and The Doctor".

TBH, they all do but Smith is my favorite.

Least favorite? Capaldi. I don't hate it or even mildly dislike his take on The Doctor. It was just that he wasn't given the best stories.
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

For a complete opposite take, I picked Capaldi's Doctor as my favourite. His stories were very hit or miss (but that can be said for any Doctor really) but when he had good material he really hit it out of the park. He also brought a certain gravitas to the role. As much as I love Ten and Eleven (and picking one top Doc was damned hard as they coudl all be freaking amazing) their boundless youthful energy and so on got rather tiring. Capaldi also gave me the strongest sense since McCoy or Tom Baker's Doctor of a guy who wasn't human.

I would give a strong second place to the War Doctor, because John Hurt was amazing. However, I don't think his character/personality woudl have worked anywhere else but that story and maybe a series set during the Time War itself.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Character: 9. Actor: 12.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
Ziggy Stardust
Sith Devotee

Post by Ziggy Stardust »

David Tennant all around, for me. Not that I have any specific problem with any of the other actors, but I find Tennant to be all around the best actor the series has had (I'm a fan of his work outside of Doctor Who as well, to be fair). I also think he happened to be around for some of the best and most creative writing the series has had (episodes like "Midnight", "The Girl in the Fireplace", "Silence in the Library", and so on).

I just generally felt like some of the writing of the show started to go down-hill after that. Or at least more inconsistent. Not that there aren't great episodes with Smith and Capaldi, but I found there were just more forgettable episodes from those series as well.
U.P. Cinnabar
Sith Marauder

Post by U.P. Cinnabar »

Eternal_Freedom wrote: 2018-10-06 02:07pm For a complete opposite take, I picked Capaldi's Doctor as my favourite. His stories were very hit or miss (but that can be said for any Doctor really) but when he had good material he really hit it out of the park. He also brought a certain gravitas to the role. As much as I love Ten and Eleven (and picking one top Doc was damned hard as they coudl all be freaking amazing) their boundless youthful energy and so on got rather tiring. Capaldi also gave me the strongest sense since McCoy or Tom Baker's Doctor of a guy who wasn't human.

I would give a strong second place to the War Doctor, because John Hurt was amazing. However, I don't think his character/personality woudl have worked anywhere else but that story and maybe a series set during the Time War itself.
Anyone who doesn't think Capaldi wins solely on the strength of his speech in "The Zygon Inversion" has a screw loose, IMO. That always moves me to tears.

A close second is his " hello sweetie" line in "The Husbands Of River Song."
"Beware the Beast, Man, for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone amongst God's primates, he kills for sport, for lust, for greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him, drive him back into his jungle lair, for he is the harbinger of Death.."
—29th Scroll, 6th Verse of Ape Law
"Indelible in the hippocampus is the laughter. The uproarious laughter between the two, and their having fun at my expense.”
---Doctor Christine Blasey-Ford
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

I've been impressed by Capaldi ever since that first brief glimpse in Day of the Doctor (best first appearance ever, by the way- I remember the audience reaction when I saw it in theatres). But the two that really stand out for me are Heaven Sent (especially his final speech), where he had to carry the old episode almost by himself, and his beautiful speech to the Master/Missy in the last season.

I've said it before and I'll say it again- as glad as I am to have Jodie Whittaker aboard, I'd have been quite content to see Capaldi stick around as long as Four did. He was just so good.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

U.P. Cinnabar wrote: 2018-10-08 07:04am Anyone who doesn't think Capaldi wins solely on the strength of his speech in "The Zygon Inversion" has a screw loose, IMO. That always moves me to tears.

A close second is his " hello sweetie" line in "The Husbands Of River Song."
I don't think that. Mostly because Capadli's first series ended on such a godawful note I didn't watch any further.

And I attempted to watch series 9 when it came to Netflix only to splutter out on the viking episode. So... yeah. Capaldi's not high in my standing. Though through no fault of his own, more his plot arcs and supporting cast.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Another reason I wish Capaldi had stuck around post-Moffat. He's a damn fine actor, but he only occasionally got scripts that let him fully show off his talents.

Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Capaldi was an awesome Doctor who got severely handicapped by terribly written stories. He had the potential to be the best nuWho Doctor but never got the chance to really manifest it.
My personal favourite is Matt Smith. He got just the right mix of zany, funny, weird, arrogant and if need be menacing to make it work, and unlike Capaldi, he got the chance to shine (possibly due to simple statistics because there's simply a lot more of him).
Eccleston worked well as the PTSD postwar Doctor but I don't think they could've made that work for more than another season
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

I will always respect Ecclestone's performance. Tennant I liked, but he was not on the same level IMO....Smith I did not like at all, Capaldi was great in the few episodes I watched.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

I have the most experience with Eccleston. Tennant I've watched some of, but he was a bit too zany for my taste. Haven't watched any of the others, just read a bunch of picture-books for the fans and whatnot. Smith seems okay from what little I saw. All that stuff was pre-Capaldi, so no idea about him.
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Post by EnterpriseSovereign »

For me, the best was Tennant all the way. I discount Eccleston purely because he couldn't be bothered to stick around and fucked off after one season! :lol:
I never much cared for Smith, this was cemented for me when 'Day of the Doctor' aired and Tennant was the superior of the two. I found Capaldi to be between them as far as who was the best doctor.
FireNexus
Cookie

Post by FireNexus »

Jodi Whitaker is climbing the fucking ranks so far.
I had a Bill Maher quote here. But fuck him for his white privelegy "joke".

All the rest? Too long.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

She's a true Doctor, no doubt about that. I haven't seen enough of her to rate her alongside the others who have had multi-season runs yet, but she's solid.