Al Matthews AKA Sgt. Apone from Aliens is Dead at 75

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

applejack
Padawan Learner

Al Matthews AKA Sgt. Apone from Aliens is Dead at 75

Post by applejack »

Hollywood Reporter
Al Matthews, Cigar-Chomping Sgt. Apone in 'Aliens,' Dies at 75
6:19 AM PDT 9/24/2018 by Rhett Bartlett

A decorated U.S. Marine, the actor also appeared in 'Superman III,' 'The Fifth Element' and 'Tomorrow Never Dies.'
Al Matthews, the real-life military man who portrayed the no-nonsense, cigar-chomping Sgt. Apone in the sci-fi horror classic Aliens, has died. He was 75.

Matthews was found dead in his home in Alicante on Spain's Mediterranean coast Saturday at 10 p.m. by a neighbor, the Spanish international news agency EFE and the El Pais newspaper confirmed to The Hollywood Reporter.

Matthews also had bit parts in Rough Cut (1980), Ragtime (1981), Superman III (1983), The Fifth Element (1997) and Tomorrow Never Dies (1997).

But it's his performance in James Cameron's 1986 sci-fi horror film that endeared him to audiences. Near the movie's beginning, the crew of the USS Sulaco awake from their deep sleep and Apone instantly reaches for his cigar and shouts instructions to the drowsy crew.

"All right, sweethearts, what are you waiting for? Breakfast in bed? Another glorious day in the Corps. A day in the Marine Corps is like a day on the farm. Every meal's a banquet. Every paycheck a fortune. Every formation a parade. I LOVE the Corps!"

Matthews himself served almost six years in the Marine Corps in Vietnam, receiving 13 combat awards and two Purple Hearts.

"Yes, I was the only person in the movie not pretending to be a Marine; in fact, I taught the other actors how to look and act. Mr. Cameron was pleased with my input. He said he had no idea I was that good; had he known, my part would have been bigger," he said in 2006.

His character is later ambushed in the film and ends up as a host in the alien queen's cocoon.

Born Nov. 21, 1942, in Brooklyn, Matthews claimed in the 2006 interview his great uncle was bandleader Cab Calloway. He began singing with New York street-corner groups as a teenager before finding his voice in the Greenwich Village folk scene.

After his war service, Matthews moved to the U.K. and then France where, as a folk singer, he scored a hit with the Pierre Tubbs-written "Fool." In 1978, he became the first black disc jockey to join Radio 1 in Britain.

Decades later, Matthews reprised his military Aliens character for the 2013 video game Aliens: Colonel Marines and inspired the character of Avery Johnson in the worldwide game franchise hit Halo.
Corporal Hicks: "Where's Apone?! Where's Apone?!"

Private Hudson: "The Sarge is gone! Let's get the fuck outta here!"
Dear Lord, the gods have been good to me. As an offering, I present these milk and cookies. If you wish me to eat them instead, please give me no sign whatsoever *pauses* Thy will be done *munch munch munch*. - Homer Simpson
Sidewinder
Sith Acolyte

Re: Al Matthews AKA Sgt. Apone from Aliens is Dead at 75

Post by Sidewinder »

(Salutes.)
Please do not make Americans fight giant monsters.

Those gun nuts do not understand the meaning of "overkill," and will simply use weapon after weapon of mass destruction (WMD) until the monster is dead, or until they run out of weapons.

They have more WMD than there are monsters for us to fight. (More insanity here.)
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

RIP. He wasn't the first guy to die, but that other black guy was..... go Aliens for all the sci fi cliches it used, and all the new ones it started.

I can believe his claim that Cameron would have given him a bigger role had he realized he was a real Marine. He totally sold the not a role, and let the other Marine's hodgepodge roles feel realistic.

Who was he in The Fifth Element anyway, I love that movie.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
applejack
Padawan Learner

Post by applejack »

Sea Skimmer wrote: 2018-09-29 11:55pm RIP. He wasn't the first guy to die, but that other black guy was..... go Aliens for all the sci fi cliches it used, and all the new ones it started.

I can believe his claim that Cameron would have given him a bigger role had he realized he was a real Marine. He totally sold the not a role, and let the other Marine's hodgepodge roles feel realistic.

Who was he in The Fifth Element anyway, I love that movie.
He played "General Tudor."

Dear Lord, the gods have been good to me. As an offering, I present these milk and cookies. If you wish me to eat them instead, please give me no sign whatsoever *pauses* Thy will be done *munch munch munch*. - Homer Simpson