The USS Enterprise is sent to assist the colony on Aegis 7 (Dead Space and Star Trek crosdover)

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Jub
Sith Marauder

Re: The USS Enterprise is sent to assist the colony on Aegis 7 (Dead Space and Star Trek crosdover)

Post by Jub »

Vendetta wrote: 2018-10-15 04:09amIt would be hard for the Enterprise to cleanly disable the ADS, since it's made up of several dozen mostly independent cannons to provide adequate coverage against incoming asteroids and debris.

So it's more likely that they'd raise shields and there would be an occasional report through the first half of the episode until the away team takes the ADS computer offline (with the central computer offline the cannons have to be fired manually).

But the worst result of the ADS cannons hitting the Enterprise is maybe an ensign falls over and gets a sprained ankle or something.
It depends on how exactly the ADS cannons are wired into fire control. If they meet up and form a main trunk cable to the fire control system then you could theoretically fire at that cable and disable all of them, or even just the bank facing you with a well-placed shot. Plus the Enterprise is pretty well known for disabling systems on enemy vessels with well-aimed phaser fire so this isn't exactly unheard of.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Re: The USS Enterprise is sent to assist the colony on Aegis 7 (Dead Space and Star Trek crosdover)

Post by Lord Revan »

Should be noted that know that Galaxy-class ship shields can bounce low momentum objects from them. This was used as distraction in one episode.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

That said this and other in "science fiction" scenario suffer from being overly complex due to wanting a certain result to happen.

the scenario isn't "what would happen if USS Enterprise was sent to check on the USG Ishimura instead of USG Kellion" but more along the lines "what would happen if you sent USS Enterprise to check of the USG Ishimura then stacked the deck so badly against the Starfleet crew that their only option was to die horribly regardless of how much it demands that thing that are illogical, impossible or just out of character to happen"
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Tribble
Sith Devotee

Post by Tribble »

Jub wrote: 2018-10-15 04:24am
Vendetta wrote: 2018-10-15 04:09amIt would be hard for the Enterprise to cleanly disable the ADS, since it's made up of several dozen mostly independent cannons to provide adequate coverage against incoming asteroids and debris.

So it's more likely that they'd raise shields and there would be an occasional report through the first half of the episode until the away team takes the ADS computer offline (with the central computer offline the cannons have to be fired manually).

But the worst result of the ADS cannons hitting the Enterprise is maybe an ensign falls over and gets a sprained ankle or something.
It depends on how exactly the ADS cannons are wired into fire control. If they meet up and form a main trunk cable to the fire control system then you could theoretically fire at that cable and disable all of them, or even just the bank facing you with a well-placed shot. Plus the Enterprise is pretty well known for disabling systems on enemy vessels with well-aimed phaser fire so this isn't exactly unheard of.
How susceptible are the canons to E-D phasers fire? THe E-D could probably just sit there and pick them all off if they wanted too. And quickly too, as we've seen the E-D fire rapidly and/or use multiple phasers strips at once.

Of course, they might not even bother given the obvious mismatch.
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - The official Troll motto, as stated by Adam Savage
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

Tribble wrote: 2018-10-15 11:36am How susceptible are the canons to E-D phasers fire? THe E-D could probably just sit there and pick them all off if they wanted too. And quickly too, as we've seen the E-D fire rapidly and/or use multiple phasers strips at once.

Of course, they might not even bother given the obvious mismatch.
The cannons themselves would probably be vulnerable, there are just a lot of them.

The ADS network is an AA suite not a weapons system, it's designed for maximum coverage.

I suppose it would keep Worf out of everyone's hair for a bit, but sustained effort to defang an enemy ship isn't within the E-D's normal operating methods. Picard is more likely to order a move out of range rather than that.
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

Lord Revan wrote: 2018-10-15 06:11am That said this and other in "science fiction" scenario suffer from being overly complex due to wanting a certain result to happen.

the scenario isn't "what would happen if USS Enterprise was sent to check on the USG Ishimura instead of USG Kellion" but more along the lines "what would happen if you sent USS Enterprise to check of the USG Ishimura then stacked the deck so badly against the Starfleet crew that their only option was to die horribly regardless of how much it demands that thing that are illogical, impossible or just out of character to happen"
In both this thread and the "A Traitor on the Enterprise!" thread, FancyDarcy seems to be trying to stack the deck for the same outcome both times: A person to person fight between Starfleet personal and whatever threat he threw at them. He just can't come up with a sane way to cause it.

If I wanted to do a starfleet vs necromorphs fight, I'd probably have gone with a shuttle damaged due to non-necromorph reasons. It gets the crewmembers close enough to beam them to the scenario start, then explodes. But I don't find that scenario interesting.
U.P. Cinnabar
Sith Marauder

Post by U.P. Cinnabar »

Or, Unitology fanatics are recovered by Love Boat-D, they use implanted plastic explosives to take over the ship, force Picard to beam the Marker to Cargo Bay 2 or wherever, then take them back to Earth.

Hilarity and ennui ensue in equal measure.
"Beware the Beast, Man, for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone amongst God's primates, he kills for sport, for lust, for greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him, drive him back into his jungle lair, for he is the harbinger of Death.."
—29th Scroll, 6th Verse of Ape Law
"Indelible in the hippocampus is the laughter. The uproarious laughter between the two, and their having fun at my expense.”
---Doctor Christine Blasey-Ford
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

bilateralrope wrote: 2018-10-15 05:47pm
Lord Revan wrote: 2018-10-15 06:11am That said this and other in "science fiction" scenario suffer from being overly complex due to wanting a certain result to happen.

In both this thread and the "A Traitor on the Enterprise!" thread, FancyDarcy seems to be trying to stack the deck for the same outcome both times: A person to person fight between Starfleet personal and whatever threat he threw at them. He just can't come up with a sane way to cause it.

If I wanted to do a starfleet vs necromorphs fight, I'd probably have gone with a shuttle damaged due to non-necromorph reasons. It gets the crewmembers close enough to beam them to the scenario start, then explodes. But I don't find that scenario interesting.
there's more then that it's "personal fight with what ever threat present while all possible ways for the SF crew to counter the threat are removed by author's fiat".

Basically he's forcing the scenario in such a way that the only possible solution is "Starfleet crew gets slaughtered horribly to the threat"
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

Lord Revan wrote: 2018-10-16 12:07am there's more then that it's "personal fight with what ever threat present while all possible ways for the SF crew to counter the threat are removed by author's fiat".

Basically he's forcing the scenario in such a way that the only possible solution is "Starfleet crew gets slaughtered horribly to the threat"
You might be right about that. It does fit better.