Could the SGC make a detente with a System Lord? (Stargate)

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Could the SGC make a detente with a System Lord? (Stargate)

Post by FaxModem1 »

In Stargate, the SGC burn through a few of their allies as they get killed off by various actions/villains of the week. There are also times where they're able to work with a System Lord on occasion. Would it have been possible for them to make some sort of arrangement with one System Lord or another on a semi-permanent basis?

Possible allies I think of include Ba'al and Lord Yu.

Or would they just find themselves betrayed too quickly for it to be worth making a deal?
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Re: Could the SGC make a detente with a System Lord? (Stargate)

Post by Batman »

Whenever they tried to work with Ba'al it backfired on them. Yu we really don't know enough about but what little we do know of him says he's a pretty straightforward guy. He probably would honour whatever deal he made with the SGC-if he remembers making it. The guy was getting senile afterall.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

We should remember that pretty much every system lord was arrogant to the extreme so making a permanent pack with them that would benefit SGC at all would very hard as most system lords seemed to see them as essentially gods and gods don't bargain with mortals.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

Didn't they essentially achieve a detente with the System Lords in early season 3 when they were included in the Protected Planets Treaty? Their battles afterwards were with Sokar, Apophis and Anubis, all of whom were renegades from the rest of the Goa'uld.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

Eternal_Freedom wrote: 2018-09-08 03:13pm Didn't they essentially achieve a detente with the System Lords in early season 3 when they were included in the Protected Planets Treaty? Their battles afterwards were with Sokar, Apophis and Anubis, all of whom were renegades from the rest of the Goa'uld.
I think that was the System Lords making a deal with their militarily superior, the Asgard. Earth just hosted the negotiations.
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

The Gou'ald wanted Earth gone. It was a flash point towards possible rebellion.

Remember, they wanted Earth to stop gate travel originally. That was probably to lesson the stories of the 'Taur'ri', and possibly so they can claim they destroyed them.

Unless the SGC suddenly got some serious military hardware and tech, the Gou'ald were not going to back down on that. They only did in Season 3, as they saved Kronos and Lord Yu's lives during the negotiations that added them to the Protected Planet Treaty (that, and the territory the Asgard granted the Gou'ald)

Remember, they were going to let Anubis rejoin them if he managed to destroy Earth. That was after Earth was in the P.P.T
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

I have read the book 'Four Dragons', which is supposedly canon, going by the Stargate wiki. Apparently one of Lord Yu's motivations is to ensure that China(and Earth as well) survive, because he helped create it. Which inspired this thread.

How canon are such novels? Because it also runs into some odd things, such as Lord Yu cloning great Chinese philosophers over and over again as his Royal Guard. I want to say this is non-canon because it's kind of silly, but if it's not, then it means that Stargate have met and made deals with the clone of Sun Tzu.