Who're your favorite giant monsters?

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Q99
Jedi Council Member

Who're your favorite giant monsters?

Post by Q99 »

Just like the question says- kaiju, daikaiju, giant monsters, whatever you call them. Who's your personal favorites?
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Re: Who're your favorite giant monsters?

Post by Sea Skimmer »

Godzilla, duh. The original more then any other even though the original cut of the movie isn't that great even by the standards of 1950s monster movies. Even as small and slow as he was he just had this monstrous I don't actually care that you exist but I'm doing what I want presence none of the later ones match. Godzilla rapidly turned into a more humanized anti hero kind of force, which is fun but not in the same way.

I also really love the old sea tales of giant squid, and drawings of whales with ears from say 1,200AD, and the super flamethrower dragon from the end of How To Train Your Dragon.

Someone once summed that battle up in a great way. It's like Charles Lindbergh versus a fire breathing Zeppelin. Seeing that thing unfold wings and fly in 3D was amazing, Dreamworks really knowns how to not make that stuff look real and not in your face for dramatic effect.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
Q99
Jedi Council Member

Post by Q99 »

Heh, I really should say "In addition to Godzilla." And/or give bonus points for whomever doesn't answer Godzilla!

Design-wise, I loved Otachi from Pacific Rim. What a tricked-out Kaiju! A lot of abilities without feeling haphazard, and some fantastic fights.

Also I'm an avowed Mothraist. I sincerely believe that if I'm ever attacked by giant monsters, if I can find twins to sing a song a giant moth will save me.
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Megalon (Godzilla) is so lame, it's kind of entertaining.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Mothra is a favorite. King Kong in the newest movie was great, really felt real. Gamora needs more airtime in the US, imho.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Post by madd0ct0r »

Ive always had a thing for giant electric eels in space. Never seen it in fiction though
"Aid, trade, green technology and peace." - Hans Rosling.
"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee
Q99
Jedi Council Member

Post by Q99 »

Solauren wrote: 2018-08-27 08:42pm Megalon (Godzilla) is so lame, it's kind of entertaining.
There is something to be said for the ones so c-list it kinda loops around.

I'm also fan of some of the more bizarre monsters- Jiger from Gamera is pretty much a jet-powered triceratops that shoots deadly spines, has a heat-ray (heat caused by intense sound vibration), and reproduces like a wasp (i.e. injects a larva).

And Reptilicus! A serpentine monster that attacked Denmark, which spits acid and has over-the-top regeneration.
Tribble
Sith Devotee

Post by Tribble »

Does Unicron count?
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - The official Troll motto, as stated by Adam Savage
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Tribble wrote: 2018-08-28 10:41am Does Unicron count?
Since Unicron is a multiversal singularity (well, up until the decent of the Shroud), and has wiped out entire universes, he's somewhere beyond 'monster' and closer to deity.

He also see's himself as a deity.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
Sea Skimmer

Post by Sea Skimmer »

Solauren wrote: 2018-08-27 08:42pm Megalon (Godzilla) is so lame, it's kind of entertaining.
That is true. See this quick review for anyone who doesn't remember him, and the tailslide, and the song.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7xpAqP31mw

The drill hands promised more then we got, all the more so coming 1 year after Godzilla vs Gigan, one of my secondary favorites, with the buzzsaw chest.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
Anacronian
Padawan Learner

Post by Anacronian »

Cthulhu in all his incarnations will always be my favorite.
Homo sapiens! What an inventive, invincible species! It's only been a few million years since they crawled up out of the mud and learned to walk. Puny, defenseless bipeds. They've survived flood, famine and plague. They've survived cosmic wars and holocausts. And now, here they are, out among the stars, waiting to begin a new life. Ready to outsit eternity. They're indomitable... indomitable. ~ Dr.Who
Q99
Jedi Council Member

Post by Q99 »

Hm, I was mainly thinking of kaiju-general stuff but it's hard to deny Unicron is both giant and a monster....
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Sandworms from Dune because they are the only ones that come with something resembling a coherent storyline. Plus the Lynch movie was awesome
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Tribble
Sith Devotee

Post by Tribble »

Q99 wrote: 2018-08-29 11:27pm
Hm, I was mainly thinking of kaiju-general stuff but it's hard to deny Unicron is both giant and a monster....
...and hungry! He gets my vote then. :P
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - The official Troll motto, as stated by Adam Savage
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Dinosaurs, of course. :wink:

And dragons, which are basically souped-up dinosaurs.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
Sea Skimmer

Post by Sea Skimmer »

They both pretty much win for diversity. Dinosaurs were a whole ecosystem that was entirely monsterous, all the more so if you shoehorn in all the ancient sea monsters that might not strictly be dinosaurs. Dragons can be anything from travel sized to Alaska sized and anything from pure life to pure death. Pretty convenient. Godzilla is pretty much one thing with aspects of several kinds of monster, Sandworms fall into narrow trends, Rodan is Rodan ect... but you could make up your own dinosaur with a crayon and then probably look hard enough and find out we already found half a femur of something that really existed and was about similar. Gotta love it for sure.
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Actually, he's a universe devouring multiversal singularity, and either the first offspring/counter-point to a creator deity. He outranks Kaiju by a considerable margin (but oddly, according to Vector Prime, the Death Star can destroy his physical form)

Tribble
Sith Devotee

Post by Tribble »

Solauren wrote: 2018-09-04 07:18pm
Actually, he's a universe devouring multiversal singularity, and either the first offspring/counter-point to a creator deity. He outranks Kaiju by a considerable margin (but oddly, according to Vector Prime, the Death Star can destroy his physical form)
Really? I just remember the movie, where he came across as just a giant talking transformer planet that ate things. Basically he's a kaiju for transformers.

As for the death star... well he did have his eyes taken out by regular space ships, so I guess it's not really a stretch that the death star could wreck his physical form.

Would this rule out the Beast Planet from Shadow Raiders? IIRC it wasn't a God, just indestructible (which made for a pretty dark ending for a kids show as IIRC they were only successful in teleporting it to another galaxy).
Q99
Jedi Council Member

Post by Q99 »

The Marvel comics made him the counterpart to Primes, yea, and then other stuff made him a universe threat or similar. There's a lot of versions, in the Prime continuity, he's Earth. Original cartoon version was just a wandering planet eater to be fair.

And, up to you where you draw the line for giant monster :)
Alferd Packer
Sith Marauder

Post by Alferd Packer »

Gamera is really neat! Gamera is filled with meat! We've been eating Gamera!

Seriously though, thanks to MST3K I love campy monster movies, of which Gamera is a longstanding favorite.

That said, 2014's Godzilla is the most badass monster I've ever seen on film, so I guess he gets second place.
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance--that principle is contempt prior to investigation." -Herbert Spencer

"Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain." - Schiller, Die Jungfrau von Orleans, III vi.
wautd
Emperor's Hand

Post by wautd »

I always like the concept of the Hydra.
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Destroyah was great. Fighting BROKEN GODZILLA and killing Godzilla Jr. Only Broken Godzilla's meltdown and final sacrifice could defeat Destroyah and resurrect Godzilla Jr. who would then save humanity in Final Wars.
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Tribble wrote: 2018-09-04 08:13pm
Solauren wrote: 2018-09-04 07:18pm

Really? I just remember the movie, where he came across as just a giant talking transformer planet that ate things. Basically he's a kaiju for transformers.

As for the death star... well he did have his eyes taken out by regular space ships, so I guess it's not really a stretch that the death star could wreck his physical form.

Would this rule out the Beast Planet from Shadow Raiders? IIRC it wasn't a God, just indestructible (which made for a pretty dark ending for a kids show as IIRC they were only successful in teleporting it to another galaxy).

You need to go read tfwiki :)

Q99
Jedi Council Member

Post by Q99 »

I will note they've walked back the 'multiversal singularity' thing somewhat. Background: Someone at Hasbro decided it'd be cool if 'all iterations of certain beings, like Unicron, Primus, and the Original Primes, are facets of the same beings,' and had that go in some Fun Productions comics. However, it wasn't really picked up by all the stories (the Aligned Continuity/Prime, Movie, and the IDW continuity obviously didn't), and eventually they came up with a story about Nexus Prime strengthening the walls of reality and splintering them all back into separate beings.

Some versions of Unicron do still travel between universes and eat 'em, though.