Ancient Seeds Ships(Stargate) hit the Star Wars Galaxy

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Ancient Seeds Ships(Stargate) hit the Star Wars Galaxy

Post by FaxModem1 »

10 years before the Invasion of Naboo(so 10 years before the Phantom Menace), a fleet of Seed ships enter the Star Wars galaxy, following their orders to seed the galaxy on suitable planets with Stargates. If left unmolested, they will continue to do so until they leave the galaxy, continuing to do so until they make a Stargate network for the entire galaxy.

What happens?
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Re: Ancient Seeds Ships(Stargate) hit the Star Wars Galaxy

Post by Sea Skimmer »

This would seem to be highly dependent on who finds the ships first given the less then centralized authority of the Republic. Many factions would not want a Stargate network to exist and might try to stop it out of hand because it would undercut the power of groups like the Trade Federation, though given how fast hyperspace is, how many planets exist in the Wars universe and the limited physical size of the Stargate it wouldn't be in a position to replace space travel for cargo.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Ancient ships are pretty tough, but I don't know if they're Star Wars level tough. I never watched the seed-ships thing though, left Stargate shortly before SG1 ended for good. Never watched SGU.

Anyway. Stargates are potentially useful as a method of instant transportation. I can certainly see seed ships being commandeered by various military forces to use for establishing beach-heads. It would be trivial for the Republic to create puddle-jumper type shuttles, or even entire trains of cylinders that fit through the Gates precisely. Perhaps as an interplanetary para-troops equivalent-- once you have orbital control of a planet, find a safe landing zone or make one, drop a Gate and ram light troops and man-portable heavy weapons through. Hell you could even disassemble MBT's, put them in a container that can fit through the gate, and throw it through with a bunch of pit-crew droids to reassemble it in a hurry. I'd say they could do this in order to avoid potentially losing troop ships full of valuable forces in the naval engagement before attacking surface troops, but that doesn't seem to be a huge concern in Wars, so... perhaps for a force that's light on ground manpower versus naval.
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

I think if anyone gained understanding of the tech they would remove the gates at least offworld.

SGU doesn't seem to have great tech compared to later Ancients or Asgard, but its FTL is faster than hyperdrive in intergalactic travel and of course longer ranged, but slower in intragalactic travel (it may be slowed by the stellar medium given that we see it deflecting interstellar hydrogen in a bow wake) taking weeks to cross a galaxy.

The guns are nothing special.

Mind interface technology and other ancient knowledge would be valuable.

When they realize the gates can be used to arrive from another galaxy I imagine many would think they are an invasion tool; worse if they find out they can be exploded remotely.
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth