Doctor Who Series 11 Trailer.

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Doctor Who Series 11 Trailer.

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Here we go, finally:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FEc-OQ_oqDk

Looks pretty good visually. Maybe a bit of a lighter tone. Not much to go on for Whittaker as the Doctor yet, but she seems to be in the right ballpark performance-wise. This one seems fairly direct in her approach:

"So if I asked, really, really nicely: would you be my new best friends?" :)
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Re: Doctor Who Series 11 Trailer.

Post by Crazedwraith »

Not much to go on. Looks fine.

And her costume looks less silly in motion. So that is a plus.
tezunegari
Jedi Knight

Post by tezunegari »

Looks promising. I lost interest in Doctor Who after Tennant left and never got around to watch Capaldi's interpretation but I think I'll give this one a shot.

Fortunately, local Netflix has the 11th and 12th Doctor available (sadly not 9th and 10th) so I think I will take a look at those episodes for now.
"Bring your thousands, I have my axe."
"Bring your cannons, I have my armor."
"Bring your mighty... I am my own champion."
Cue Unit-01 ramming half the Lance of Longinus down Adam's head and a bemused Gendo, "Wrong end, son."
Ikari Gendo, NGE Fanfiction "Standing Tall"
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Crazedwraith wrote: 2018-07-20 02:24am Not much to go on. Looks fine.

Honestly, I didn't even notice the costume, beyond thinking that the whole thing looked vaguely Doctory.
tezunegari wrote: 2018-07-20 05:37am Looks promising. I lost interest in Doctor Who after Tennant left and never got around to watch Capaldi's interpretation but I think I'll give this one a shot.

Fortunately, local Netflix has the 11th and 12th Doctor available (sadly not 9th and 10th) so I think I will take a look at those episodes for now.
Most of 11 and 12's run are mediocre at best, in my opinion (the first season of 11 is the strongest, probably). But to my recollection, "Amy's Choice", "The Doctor's Wife", and "Day of the Doctor" (for 11) and "Heaven Sent" for 12 are genuinely amazing episodes, which stand alongside the best of the series' history. And whatever criticisms I have are mostly writing related- Smith and Capaldi both more than did the role justice. In fact, as much as I support having a female Doctor and as much as I think that Jodie Whittaker is a good choice for the role regardless of gender, I would have been quite content to see Capaldi in the role as long as Tom Baker was.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Crazedwraith wrote: 2018-07-20 02:24am Not much to go on. Looks fine.

A lot of that has to do with posture and body language. She tends to have sort of "masculine" stances and carries herself in a very confident manner in the role - which is right in line with the character, I think, as there's no way the Doctor is going to be a girly-girl even if she is a woman.

One character I'd like to see return is the Brigadier's daughter - I'd like to see that interaction.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

The Romulan Republic wrote: 2018-07-20 08:46pm Most of 11 and 12's run are mediocre at best, in my opinion (the first season of 11 is the strongest, probably). But to my recollection, "Amy's Choice", "The Doctor's Wife", and "Day of the Doctor" (for 11) and "Heaven Sent" for 12 are genuinely amazing episodes, which stand alongside the best of the series' history. And whatever criticisms I have are mostly writing related- Smith and Capaldi both more than did the role justice. In fact, as much as I support having a female Doctor and as much as I think that Jodie Whittaker is a good choice for the role regardless of gender, I would have been quite content to see Capaldi in the role as long as Tom Baker was.
I actually like Smith's Doctor. He had a lot of great episodes. Mind you, the episodes with him are also the most heart wrenching ones IMHO. Especially episodes like "Vincent and the Doctor". I still can't think of that episode without getting teary eyed (like right now, lol). While I like Capaldi, his tenure as the Doctor was the weakest. I don't blame him, I just think he wasn't given the best stories to work with.

As with every new actor to portray The Doctor, I reserve judgement on Whittaker until I've seen a few episodes with her.
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Smith was a fine actor, and some of his scripts were brilliant. Others... not so much.

I don't think there's ever been a bad Doctor, actor-wise. I don't expect that to change now, given Whittaker's career thus far. This era, like all the others, will succeed or fail based on the competence of management and the quality of the scripts.

Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

I only know nuWho and I never warmed up to Tennant but that can easily be ascribed to him not being my kind of Doctor, rather than being a bad Doctor[/i]. I loved Capaldi's Doctor despite his era's writing being significantly less than stellar. He was, if often badly executed, a nice change from the 'young doctor with female companion as love interest' angle a lot of nuWho pursued, which is why I loved Smith and Rory/Amy
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
B5B7
Jedi Knight

Post by B5B7 »

A few nights ago, ABC (Australian Broadcasting Corporation) had a promo for 13th Doctor Who featuring a trailer that had a pizza in it.
It said 'Coming Soon', so this strongly implies an August debut. The BBC has officially announced an "Autumn" date, which makes it later (September to December), but that is not "soon" so it will be interesting to see what actually happens.
This one (that includes the 'Coming Soon' at the end): https://youtu.be/afdp2t0NEp4
TVWP: "Janeway says archly, "Sometimes it's the female of the species that initiates mating." Is the female of the species trying to initiate mating now? Janeway accepts Paris's apology and tells him she's putting him in for a commendation. The salamander sex was that good."
"Not bad - for a human"-Bishop to Ripley
GALACTIC DOMINATION Empire Board Game visit link below:
GALACTIC DOMINATION
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

I think if it was an August debut they would have announced it by now, and BBC's announcements carry more weight than an Australian news company here, for obvious reasons.

That said, July's almost done. A September debut could certainly qualify as "soon", and would be well-placed to air the new season in time for the Christmas special.