The Meg (trailer)

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

The Meg (trailer)

Post by mr friendly guy »

Ok, Megalodon was a big prehistoric shark which we think most probably resembles an upscaled version of a modern day Great White shark.

There was a novel by Steven Alten in the 90s about one which survived in the marianna trench (LOL) and it comes up to terrorise the US coast.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meg:_A_No ... eep_Terror

In more detail, the protagonist Jonas Taylor gets a call from his older Japanese friend (who just happens to have a hot daughter, you can see which way this is going) to help retrieve a submersible in the marianna trench and then he sees the megalodon. Meanwhile Jonas's estranged wife gets killed by the Meg. :lol: Oh, and he kills the shark too. This is of course from what I remember of listening to the audiobooks.

Looks like its being adapted with quite a few changes

For one thing, Japanese friend seems to be changed to Chinese ones and its China's turn to get terrorised by giant monsters (its clearly attacking around Hainan based on the landmarks). This is not surprising since Chinese companies appear to be partially funding this.

So basically giant prehistoric shark and Jason Statham. Hmm. I am in. :mrgreen:
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.
Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Re: The Meg (trailer)

Post by Zaune »

"We're gonna need a bigger boat."
There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do.
-- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)

Replace "ginger" with "n*gger," and suddenly it become a lot less funny, doesn't it?
-- fgalkin

Like my writing? Tip me on Patreon

I Have A Blog
Rhadamantus
Padawan Learner

Post by Rhadamantus »

Terrible but amusing, probably.
"There is no justice in the laws of nature, no term for fairness in the equations of motion. The Universe is neither evil, nor good, it simply does not care. The stars don't care, or the Sun, or the sky.

But they don't have to! WE care! There IS light in the world, and it is US!"

"There is no destiny behind the ills of this world."

"Mortem Delenda Est."

"25,000km is not orbit"-texanmarauder
Khaat
Jedi Master

Post by Khaat »

Damn it! I heard about this this weekend and my "scy-fy original"-quality treatment included global-warming-melted-glaciers-release-megalodon-to-terrorize-coastal-city. Post credit scene includes equally massive megalo-cephalopod (giant terror squid) melting out of the ice to do the same in the sequel.
Rule #1: Believe the autocrat. He means what he says.
Rule #2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule #3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule #4: Be outraged.
Rule #5: Don’t make compromises.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

The book was pretty fun to read. This? Wow..
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
mr friendly guy
The Doctor

The trailer does seem to deviate quite a bit from the first book. For example Jonas appears to already be married with a child (this occurs by the second book).
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Rhadamantus
Padawan Learner

Post by Rhadamantus »

Just saw it, and it was actually a good bit better than I expected. The plot was pretty bad, but they made some attempt to disguise it.
"There is no justice in the laws of nature, no term for fairness in the equations of motion. The Universe is neither evil, nor good, it simply does not care. The stars don't care, or the Sun, or the sky.

But they don't have to! WE care! There IS light in the world, and it is US!"

"There is no destiny behind the ills of this world."

"Mortem Delenda Est."

"25,000km is not orbit"-texanmarauder
Majin Gojira
Sith Acolyte

Post by Majin Gojira »

For what it is, it was quite well done. A few more polishes and it could rival "Rampage" as best giant monster movie of the summer.
ISARMA: Daikaiju Coordinator: Just Add Radiation
Justice League- Molly Hayes: Respect Hats or Freakin' Else!
Browncoat
Supernatural Taisen - "[This Story] is essentially "Wouldn't it be awesome if this happened?" Followed by explosions."

Reviewing movies is a lot like Paleontology: The Evidence is there...but no one seems to agree upon it.

"God! Are you so bored that you enjoy seeing us humans suffer?! Why can't you let this poor man live happily with his son! What kind of God are you, crushing us like ants?!" - Kyoami, Ran
mr friendly guy
The Doctor

Deviated a bit from the book, aside from the point that Jonas encountered a Meg earlier and no one believed him, and that the Meg survived because it was living deep in the oceans where humans have not explored yet.

However still entertaining popcorn flick.

The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

I'd kind of like to see this. "Giant shark" is a decent enough premise for an action movie (as Jaws proved), but the "explanation' about it being in the deep sea sounds like it raises more questions than answers. How does it survive the pressure? What does it eat? Why didn't any come to the surface sooner?

Honestly, I don't think you need much explanation for big cryptids in the ocean, unless they're regularly swimming close to densely-populated shores or shipping lanes.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
mr friendly guy
The Doctor

Not sure how it survives the pressure.

It eats giant squids for one. Squids which live at that depth (somehow). Once less deep it munches on whales, which is what we suspect Megalodon fed on in real life. Whales are most probably not down that deep for obvious reasons as they need to surface for air.

It can't come up sooner because of the cold. Megalodon thought to go extinct because whales migrated to colder waters and its now missing its food source.The reason that deep in the ocean was warm enough for Meg (in the book and the movie) is explained by thermal vents, and technobabble prevents the heat dissipating (they explain in the movie). The water above the Meg's home is cold, while if you go higher up to the surface, it warms up for obvious reasons. However due to plot device, the temperature distribution changes enough for Meg to pass up through the cold water, until it reaches the warmer waters closer to the surface.

The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Okay, that's... not completely stupid. The heat issue seems very contrived, though.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
mr friendly guy
The Doctor

Well the Meg made a profit. Its estimated it needs $400 million in sales to break even, and its now up to $408 million and the third biggest movie market (Japan) is still to open. Not sure how well it will do in Japan who has a history of having local films edge out Hollywood productions and have their own share of monster movies.

As has been brought to my attention, the Meg did better than the Han Solo movie. Wow.

Q99
Jedi Council Member

Post by Q99 »

mr friendly guy wrote: 2018-08-26 09:56pm Well the Meg made a profit. Its estimated it needs $400 million in sales to break even, and its now up to $408 million and the third biggest movie market (Japan) is still to open. Not sure how well it will do in Japan who has a history of having local films edge out Hollywood productions and have their own share of monster movies.

As has been brought to my attention, the Meg did better than the Han Solo movie. Wow.
Though Japanese monster movies and shark movies have their differences in style, so I wouldn't be surprised if it had some draw.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

The Romulan Republic wrote: 2018-08-22 07:26pm Okay, that's... not completely stupid. The heat issue seems very contrived, though.
Iirc, in the book, the male was injured and floating/rising out of the trench. The female attacked it, started eating, and the warmth of the male's blood and body protected her from the cold zone just long enough for her to reach the point where she had to go up to reach warmer water.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Just saw this. Not bad. It's not quite as gripping as Jaws, but it's not bad. Crosses off pretty much every shark movie cliche though. Entertaining enough, though. Gets a fairly solid B-minus from me.
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Sometimes a solid B-movie is just what you're looking for.
Not had time to see any movies of late, working too many hours.

mr friendly guy
The Doctor

I thought it was a decent B movie. Hopefully it paves the way for future sea monster movies, since its currently at a healthy $462 million revenue, largely due to good figures in the North American and Chinese markets.

mr friendly guy
The Doctor

I think the Meg has done enough to go into sequel territory.

From a budget of $130–178 million its so far made $505 million. Consider Pacific Rim got a sequel from a budget of $180–200 million with a revenue of only $411 million.

The second book deals with the smaller Kronosaur as well as the megalodon. I think the third book involved a wealthy Arab billionaire, the Meg and larger Liopleurodon. If Chinese studios want to help fund it again, just switch to an eccentric Chinese billionaire who wants to capture a meg for their aquarium and then Jonas meets the Liopleurodon, and have a monster fight. :wink: