The Meg (trailer)

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

The Meg (trailer)

Post by mr friendly guy » 2018-04-23 03:55am

Ok, Megalodon was a big prehistoric shark which we think most probably resembles an upscaled version of a modern day Great White shark.

There was a novel by Steven Alten in the 90s about one which survived in the marianna trench (LOL) and it comes up to terrorise the US coast.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meg:_A_No ... eep_Terror

In more detail, the protagonist Jonas Taylor gets a call from his older Japanese friend (who just happens to have a hot daughter, you can see which way this is going) to help retrieve a submersible in the marianna trench and then he sees the megalodon. Meanwhile Jonas's estranged wife gets killed by the Meg. :lol: Oh, and he kills the shark too. This is of course from what I remember of listening to the audiobooks.

Looks like its being adapted with quite a few changes

For one thing, Japanese friend seems to be changed to Chinese ones and its China's turn to get terrorised by giant monsters (its clearly attacking around Hainan based on the landmarks). This is not surprising since Chinese companies appear to be partially funding this.

So basically giant prehistoric shark and Jason Statham. Hmm. I am in. :mrgreen:
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to.
Australia, Canada, China, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.

Zaune
Sith Acolyte

Re: The Meg (trailer)

Post by Zaune » 2018-04-23 04:32am

"We're gonna need a bigger boat."
There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do.
-- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)

Replace "ginger" with "n*gger," and suddenly it become a lot less funny, doesn't it?
-- fgalkin

Like my writing? Tip me on Patreon

I Have A Blog

Rhadamantus
Padawan Learner

Post by Rhadamantus » 2018-04-23 08:04am

Terrible but amusing, probably.
"There is no justice in the laws of nature, no term for fairness in the equations of motion. The Universe is neither evil, nor good, it simply does not care. The stars don't care, or the Sun, or the sky.

But they don't have to! WE care! There IS light in the world, and it is US!"

"There is no destiny behind the ills of this world."

"Mortem Delenda Est."

"25,000km is not orbit"-texanmarauder

Khaat
Jedi Knight

Post by Khaat » 2018-04-23 10:20am

Damn it! I heard about this this weekend and my "scy-fy original"-quality treatment included global-warming-melted-glaciers-release-megalodon-to-terrorize-coastal-city. Post credit scene includes equally massive megalo-cephalopod (giant terror squid) melting out of the ice to do the same in the sequel.
Rule #1: Believe the autocrat. He means what he says.
Rule #2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule #3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule #4: Be outraged.
Rule #5: Don’t make compromises.

LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar » 2018-04-23 12:47pm

The book was pretty fun to read. This? Wow..
Librium Arcana, Where Gamers Play!
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.
"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet

mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Post by mr friendly guy » 2018-04-24 11:44pm

The trailer does seem to deviate quite a bit from the first book. For example Jonas appears to already be married with a child (this occurs by the second book).
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to.
Australia, Canada, China, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.