Altered Carbon

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Altered Carbon

Post by K. A. Pital »

Seriously, nobody wants to discuss this show, which is very much classic cyberpunk in the 1980s vein, with a quite a few memorable characters?

As no thread was opened, here is one.
Lì ci sono chiese, macerie, moschee e questure, lì frontiere, prezzi inaccessibile e freddure
Lì paludi, minacce, cecchini coi fucili, documenti, file notturne e clandestini
Qui incontri, lotte, passi sincronizzati, colori, capannelli non autorizzati,
Uccelli migratori, reti, informazioni, piazze di Tutti i like pazze di passioni...

...La tranquillità è importante ma la libertà è tutto!
Assalti Frontali
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Re: Altered Carbon

Post by Vendetta »

I haven't watched it yet, but I've read the book. Which is pretty solid cyberpunk noir. Though the world is more "normal" than I'd expect from its relatively far-future offworld colonies with their own long histories perspective. It's stuff that wouldn't be too far out of place in less far flung futures like Neuromancer or Blade Runner.
Imperial Overlord
Emperor's Hand

Post by Imperial Overlord »

I've read the books and seen the series. I liked both. The series is generally faithful to the book, with most of the changes being related to adapting a full length novel into a ten episode tv series. The general theme of immortality plus wealth and power means perpetually tyrannical oligarchy comes clearly through in both. The tv series makes Kovac more sympathetic than in the novel, but that's necessary as in the novel we are passenger's in Kovac's head and feel closer to him and we can't do that in tv. The big change with the AI hotel was an improvement.
The Excellent Prismatic Spray. For when you absolutely, positively must kill a motherfucker. Accept no substitutions. Contact a magician of the later Aeons for details. Some conditions may apply.
tezunegari
Jedi Knight

Post by tezunegari »

I have a few questions:

How does crime scene evidence work?
I mean it's even pointed out in the show that images, dna and biometrics can be bypassed by changing the sleeve.
The daughter of a Meth uses her mothers sleeve to fuck with the security chief of her father... and Kovac mentions she might have gained access to the biometric safe with the gun used to "kill" her father.

Why is 3d printing sleeves so rare (or illegal)?
They do find an illegal body-printer with an illegal copy of Kovac's new boss. (which gets the crowbar treatment by said boss).
But the device is extremely small for what it can do and portable.

What is it with asian girls and their fixation on their brothers?
Reileen... just Reileen. There is something seriously wrong with her, at least in the show.
"Bring your thousands, I have my axe."
"Bring your cannons, I have my armor."
"Bring your mighty... I am my own champion."
Cue Unit-01 ramming half the Lance of Longinus down Adam's head and a bemused Gendo, "Wrong end, son."
Ikari Gendo, NGE Fanfiction "Standing Tall"
Imperial Overlord
Emperor's Hand

Yes, receiving does make things like forensic evidence less reliable, but since stacks frequently survive violent death and forms of survielance are common there are other sources of evidence.

3-D printing of sleeves allows you to do identity theft (as was done in the show) so yes, its restricted.

Reileen is Kovac's sister in the show to create a personal connection and up the emotional stakes. In the book she's merely a monstrously ruthless and ambitious Yakuza boss who Kovac once worked for.
The Excellent Prismatic Spray. For when you absolutely, positively must kill a motherfucker. Accept no substitutions. Contact a magician of the later Aeons for details. Some conditions may apply.
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

What I'm wondering about is how did they manage to originally colonize the other worlds, if the only means of travel between planets are "needlecasting"?
Lì ci sono chiese, macerie, moschee e questure, lì frontiere, prezzi inaccessibile e freddure
Uccelli migratori, reti, informazioni, piazze di Tutti i like pazze di passioni...

Assalti Frontali
tezunegari
Jedi Knight

Post by tezunegari »

K. A. Pital wrote: 2018-03-21 02:36pm What I'm wondering about is how did they manage to originally colonize the other worlds, if the only means of travel between planets are "needlecasting"?
I think it was mentioned in the show that they used STL Generation Ships.
"Bring your thousands, I have my axe."
"Bring your cannons, I have my armor."
"Bring your mighty... I am my own champion."
Cue Unit-01 ramming half the Lance of Longinus down Adam's head and a bemused Gendo, "Wrong end, son."
Ikari Gendo, NGE Fanfiction "Standing Tall"
Patroklos
Sith Devotee

Post by Patroklos »

I am binge watching it now. I really enjoy the atmosphere and the themes and human complications of effective immortality are interesting to explore and stick with me after I walk away from the TV.
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

tezunegari wrote: 2018-03-21 02:40pm
K. A. Pital wrote: 2018-03-21 02:36pm What I'm wondering about is how did they manage to originally colonize the other worlds, if the only means of travel between planets are "needlecasting"?
I think it was mentioned in the show that they used STL Generation Ships.
Ah OK, missed that, though I thought about something like that (or cryosleep / virtual sleep).

Assalti Frontali
Imperial Overlord
Emperor's Hand

It's STL cryoships in the books. The current state of the art is totally automated ships that colonists needlecast into once they're set up at the destination.
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

How often are those STL ships flying to Earth ?

Clearly at least one flew back, because the envoy's stacks were taken from where they all died to Earth.
Imperial Overlord
Emperor's Hand

bilateralrope wrote: 2018-03-25 02:27pm How often are those STL ships flying to Earth ?

Clearly at least one flew back, because the envoy's stacks were taken from where they all died to Earth.
That doesn't happen in the books.
J Ryan
Youngling

Post by J Ryan »

bilateralrope wrote: 2018-03-25 02:27pm How often are those STL ships flying to Earth ?

The Bancroft's also had that Tree which they said they had imported at great expense.
Imperial Overlord
Emperor's Hand

In the books it's actually from Mars, not Harlan's World. Clearly there's some STL shipping in the showverse.
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

Imperial Overlord wrote: 2018-03-26 05:37am In the books it's actually from Mars, not Harlan's World. Clearly there's some STL shipping in the showverse.
In the book Takeshi mentions that Bancroft has a door made of expensively imported wood that would be a cheap bartop on Harlan's World.
Imperial Overlord
Emperor's Hand

Vendetta wrote: 2018-03-26 07:27am
Imperial Overlord wrote: 2018-03-26 05:37am In the books it's actually from Mars, not Harlan's World. Clearly there's some STL shipping in the showverse.
In the book Takeshi mentions that Bancroft has a door made of expensively imported wood that would be a cheap bartop on Harlan's World.
That's true, but it wasn't physically imported. The tree's DNA was needlecast from Harlan's World and then custom grown on Earth.