The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy, Hexagonal Phase

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Zaune
Emperor's Hand

The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy, Hexagonal Phase

Post by Zaune »

So, yeah, this is a thing. Released in a dramatic blaze of no publicity at all, as Douglas Adams himself once put it, because the first I knew of any of this was an ad for it on Radio 3 yesterday morning.
Simon Jones stars as Arthur Dent in a brand new full-cast series based on And Another Thing..., the sixth book in the famous Hitchhiker's Guide trilogy.

Forty years on from the first ever radio series of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, Arthur Dent and friends return to be thrown back into the Whole General Mish Mash, in a rattling adventure involving Viking Gods and Irish Confidence Tricksters, with our first glimpse of Eccentrica Gallumbits and a brief but memorable moment with The Ravenous Bugblatter Beast Of Traal.

Starring John Lloyd as The Book, with Simon Jones as Arthur, Geoff McGivern as Ford Prefect, Mark Wing-Davey as Zaphod Beeblebrox, Sandra Dickinson and Susan Sheridan as Trillian, Jim Broadbent as Marvin the Paranoid Android and Jane Horrocks as Fenchurch. The cast also includes Samantha Béart, Toby Longworth, Andy Secombe, Ed Byrne, Lenny Henry, Philip Pope, Mitch Benn, Jon Culshaw and Professor Stephen Hawking.

The series is written and directed by Dirk Maggs and based on And Another Thing... by Eoin Colfer, with additional unpublished material by Douglas Adams.
I'm not particularly fired up about this, given that it's based off And Another Thing..., but it wouldn't be right not to have a thread on it.
There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do.
-- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)

Replace "ginger" with "n*gger," and suddenly it become a lot less funny, doesn't it?
-- fgalkin

Like my writing? Tip me on Patreon

I Have A Blog
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Re: The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy, Hexagonal Phase

Post by Crazedwraith »

TBF I first heard about it a couple of weeks ago. It got a reasonably amount of ads around the other bbc radio 4 630 comedies. And John Lloyd promoted it on Loose Ends the other week as well.

The first episode was half recap and half false realities. Not that great but it might pick up.

And yeah the into and exit make a weird big thing about it being based on And Another thing...
Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

Crazedwraith wrote: 2018-03-08 05:15pmThe first episode was half recap and half false realities. Not that great but it might pick up.

And yeah the into and exit make a weird big thing about it being based on And Another thing...
Well, that's just hoopy.
There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do.

Replace "ginger" with "n*gger," and suddenly it become a lot less funny, doesn't it?
-- fgalkin

I Have A Blog
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Ironically, it's apparently Ford Prefect's birthday.

I miss Ford.
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Caught the third episode. Seems to be developing at a glacial pace.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Crazedwraith wrote: 2018-03-22 03:32pm Caught the third episode. Seems to be developing at a glacial pace.
So, true to the book then? *didn't like the novel*
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

I have to admit I never actually finished it. Colfer didn't do a very good job of capturing the tone of the originals, and even if he had there was never going to be a good way of dealing with the fallout from Mostly Harmless other than quietly pretending it never happened. Which I would have been entirely fine with, by the way, because I didn't like that novel much either.

-- fgalkin

I Have A Blog