How should/will Doctor Who handle Brexit?

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

How will they handle it?

It never happened (alternate universe)
15%
It was quickly fixed
7%
Never mention it
52%
Acknowledge it
22%
Embrace it (even make propaganda extolling it)
4%

Total votes: 27

The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Re: How should/will Doctor Who handle Brexit?

Post by The Romulan Republic »

FaxModem1 wrote: 2018-02-24 05:34pm
The Romulan Republic wrote: 2018-02-24 05:17pm Now, granted, there's a difference between depicting history and discussing current controversies. But history shapes those current controversies, and the depiction of history is often highly politically polarized (God help them if they ever try to set an episode during the American Civil War, for example). So discussing something like Brexit, in a sense, could be seen as the show getting back to its roots.
I often think Doctor Who chickened out very early in it's run, and after The Aztecs, always included a monster because it was easier for them to write then making a historical story interesting. To the point that it became a crutch of the show, it is one of the reasons why I'm disappointed in the new series for never trying to do a straight historical. But then, after seeing Kill the Moon and the trees episode, maybe I should be thankful.
One of the main criticisms I have of current Who is that it seems to have gotten stuck in a box its afraid to venture out of. Such a waste of a show that literally offers "All of time and space" as its premise. Hopefully the new show runner will shake things up a bit.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.