Transformers might be getting a reboot film

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

SolarpunkFan
Jedi Knight

Transformers might be getting a reboot film

Post by SolarpunkFan »

Collider
If you’re a big fan of Michael Bay‘s take on the Transformers franchise, as has been on explosive display on the big screen for five movies over more than 10 years, I have some bad news for you: That line is probably coming to a close as Hasbro and Paramount reportedly look to reset the feature franchise following the upcoming Bumblebee movie, which is due out this December. Don’t feel too badly for the studios; they did rake in a combined $4.38 billion from ticket sales alone.

Now, if you’re of the opinion that the live-action Transformers movies have been all sorts of garish lights and sounds signifying nothing, then this could come as good news. Let’s keep in mind that we haven’t heard official word one way or the other just yet, but as Transformer World reports, the plans to reboot the franchise were first announced during Hasbro’s investor preview for the 2018 New York Toy Fair. It’s looking like the untitled Transformers 6, a sequel to the kitchen-sink of many world mythologies that was Transformers: The Last Knight, has been pulled from Hasbro and Paramount’s schedule. And that’s just for starters.

TFW’s report states that Hasbro specifically mentioned that “a new team at Paramount will reset the Transformers Live-Action Movie Series following the release of Bumblebee: The Movie.” That means no new Transformers movies for the foreseeable future; the years between 2018 and at least 2021 will be a drought for Autobots and Decepticons alike. There’s also a new agreement between Hasbro and Paramount, one which has the toy company receiving greater creative control of their content and greenlighting of movies.

Speaking of movies, Hasbro/Paramount unveiled this slide as part of the presentation which confirmed release dates for their upcoming films:

OP: image link

Could that 2021 Paramount/Hasbro Event Film be the reboot of the Transformers franchise? If so, that gives the team plenty of time to start shaping the future of their universe, even when factoring in the time it’ll take for the new creative team to see how fans and critics react to Travis Knight‘s Bumblebee movie when it opens on December 21st of this year.

How do you feel about a supposed Transformers cinematic universe reboot? What storylines would you like to see? And who should be both on the scripting team and in the director’s chair for at least the first new film? Let us know in the comments below!
Might Paramount avoid the incompetence stated prosaically by Ray245 here this go around? If the management shakeup that was recently done holds out they may very well.
Last edited by LadyTevar on 2018-02-17 03:03pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Spelling error in title
Seeing current events as they are is wrecking me emotionally. So I say 'farewell' to this forum. For anyone who wonders.
Q99
Jedi Council Member

Re: Transformers might be getting a reboot film

Post by Q99 »

Heh, I like how Paramount is ceeding more control to Hasbro, ie ‘they know better than us.’
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Q99 wrote: 2018-02-17 04:56pm Heh, I like how Paramount is ceeding more control to Hasbro, ie ‘they know better than us.’
They should have done that 3 movies ago.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Q99
Jedi Council Member

Post by Q99 »

If they knew what to do with franchises, they wouldn’t be paramount ^^
SolarpunkFan
Jedi Knight

Post by SolarpunkFan »

Q99 wrote: 2018-02-17 04:56pm Heh, I like how Paramount is ceeding more control to Hasbro, ie ‘they know better than us.’
Hasbro created a popular toy line and several beloved TV series whereas Paramount seems to be lead by FIBS-suffering executives. So yeah, they do know better than Paramount. :P

Side note: jeez, how the hell did I misspell such a simple title? I should probably stop making threads when I'm sleepy. :banghead:
Seeing current events as they are is wrecking me emotionally. So I say 'farewell' to this forum. For anyone who wonders.
Q99
Jedi Council Member

Post by Q99 »

FIBS?

I mean, we always knew Hasbro > Paramount, but it says a lot *Paramount* is admitting it!

Also I will note, if Bumblebee blows up, they *could* backpeddle and stick with their continuity. But I'm not too worried about that.
SolarpunkFan
Jedi Knight

Post by SolarpunkFan »

Q99 wrote: 2018-02-19 04:36pm FIBS?
Furniture Induced Brain Shrinkage, it explains a lot about their recent spate of poor decision making. :P
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Hmm.... this could produce good results, depending on how handled.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
Q99
Jedi Council Member

Post by Q99 »

It can hardly produce worse results, can it?

Hasbro actually has experience managing properties/stories after all.
SolarpunkFan wrote: 2018-02-19 05:41pm Furniture Induced Brain Shrinkage, it explains a lot about their recent spate of poor decision making. :P
Ah yes, makes sense. The decline can likely be linked to growing amounts of furniture over time....
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Post by EnterpriseSovereign »

Given how bloody awful the last 2 films were they should have done the reboot right after DotM (which was awesome despite the blonde bimbo). I have to wonder who's been propping the box office up at the last 2 outings- surely kids can't actually have enjoyed them.
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

The forth movie actually did fairly well but counted heavily on non North American revenue compared to the first three, while the fifth and last made just half as much money. So it just took time for people to catch on is the truth, and a lot of people never saw the original movie which had less budget, CGI and explosions then the others. But until that end point the movies had actually each kept making the same or more money one after another, it's no surprise the crapwagon kept rolling on that basis.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
Q99
Jedi Council Member

Post by Q99 »

I think a lot of why the first one did well is, unlike some other countries, China was starved for giant robots. Five movies in? Less-so. They're pickier now.