Anyone watched Netflix's Godzilla? Spoilers

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Anyone watched Netflix's Godzilla? Spoilers

Post by Enigma »

It was interesting to watch. Younger Godzilla looks like he's been bench-pressing skyscrapers and fires an atomic breath rated at 181 gigawatts. The older (20,000 years old) Godzilla is massive. Thousand feet high, weighing at 100,000 tons and his roar is rated at 900 gigawatts. That roar completely obliterated the landing ships. Earth has changed to the point that the flora and fauna share similar DNA with Godzilla.

What's your take on the movie? How does it compare to other version of Godzilla?
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!
Q99
Jedi Council Member

Re: Anyone watched Netflix's Godzilla? Spoilers

Post by Q99 »

Yes!

Definitely part one of a series. The addition of *two* allied aliens is an interesting twist, and I wonder what that priest with the landing crew is up to.

I enjoyed it, though it's not really able to compete with my fav Godzillas. At least not yet.
DesertFly
has been designed to act as a flotation device

Post by DesertFly »

My girlfriend and I watched it. I'm not really an anime fan, but I've been trying to give it more of a chance.

We both thought it was so slow. Also, apparently Godzilla taking over Japan is enough to get people to give up on Earth? I know there were other Kaiju shown, but they were downplayed compared to Godzilla.
Proud member of the no sigs club.
Q99
Jedi Council Member

Post by Q99 »

DesertFly wrote: 2018-01-27 06:59pm My girlfriend and I watched it. I'm not really an anime fan, but I've been trying to give it more of a chance.

We both thought it was so slow. Also, apparently Godzilla taking over Japan is enough to get people to give up on Earth? I know there were other Kaiju shown, but they were downplayed compared to Godzilla.
It was far more than just Japan! The mass nuking was in North America, and the evacuation was from Latin America, humanity's last stronghold.

Side material outlines what happened- a buncha monsters showed up, humanity could fight against them to an extent, but Godzilla arose and was taking down both cities and monsters. The colony mission was launched 18 years after Godzilla's arrival, by which point Earth's population was down to a mere 700 million- which sounds like still a large amount but represents a rather rapid rate of decline. The technology provided by the Exif failed to uncover a weakness, and the Bilusaludo failed to activate Mechagodzilla in time, and their last attempt was using a buncha nukes to drop a mountain on him (which only bought somet ime), so they knew nothing they could do would stop him.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

As a Godzilla fan, I was stoked by the teasers and trailers. I was not disappointed.

The space scenes did a lot to set the scene. We see just how desperate the humans have become, and we see Harou's determination to keep humanity alive and together. Like many Godzilla movies, he's our human viewpoint, and we will only see Godzilla and the government's actions through his eyes.
We see the Exif priest with the unknown motives, and meet the Bilisaudio who support the idea of going back and killing Godzilla. I'm wondering now if we'll find that the Exif did something to sabotage MechaGodzilla. Either way, there's a human(oid) conflict brewing in the backdrop that Harou has no idea about. Thankfully, he's no slouch at research, and he's had years to come up with a plan to return to Earth and take it back from Godzilla. ((And yes, I'm ok with the idea of Godzilla being a Superbattery, with a Electromagnetic Body Shield. He breaths thermonuclear blasts, what's one more improbability? Especially since they do a good job tying the techno-babble in with what is canon.))

Earth is amazing. 20K yrs of evolution to create a land in Godzilla's image, devoid of huma--- wait! What was That! Yes, there is a human here, a hint that's revealed further in the epilogue. Looking forward to how the remnant humans have adapted to the Kaiju Planet. Worshipers, like with Kong and the Iwi? Symbiotic relationship, like the Shobiijin and Mothra? Have to wait for Part Two. :(

It's rare for humans to 'win' a Kaiju battle. The fight with "Zookie" was epic -- a harsh, hard look at just what kind of determination, skill, luck, and above all, body count it takes. Even with the 'cheat card' to take down Zookie's body shield, the fight decimated the human contingent. I felt the desperation, I felt the nerve-wracking seconds to get Zookie into the firing zone, and I was as exuberant as any when Zookie blew up.
And just as terrified when his death woke up Godzilla. Yeah... nothing stays the same forever. Creatures grow as they age. Why does Godzilla have to be like a crocodile and continue growing all throughout his life?

I give it a 4/5. It had all the elements of a good Godzilla movie: human tension, big monsters, a huge win, and a devastating loss. I'm looking forward to the next chapter.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

Watched it this past weekend. I liked it, but my god was it weird at times, and the planning for beating godzilla was reminding me of the super complex plans Japan used to loose world war two. But for part one of three it was solid.

I sorta like the 1954 style fat godzilla, but I also felt like it made him much less real and more feakish then powerful looking. A far as him continuing to grow, yeah good question, also how did he GET BURIED AND STILL GROW is another one, though he did pop up out of the ground in Godzilla vs Mothra for no specific reason too.

Honestly if he was going to keep growing I wanted him at least 3km tall not 300 pathetic meters. Then the characters could be say, battling the dragon birds in a forest made up of the moss and debris stuck between his back fins.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
Q99
Jedi Council Member

Post by Q99 »

Keep in mind, 20,000 years. He could burrow and nap, or even simply take a nap so long soil accumulates, before waking up and eating newly arisen monsters, before sleeping again.

300 meters is still quite a lot- I will note there's never been an active kaiju in a kaiju movie that big. There's a feeling that past a certain size, they feel disconnected to the landscape, I think (plus it becomes even more unbelievable to beat them).
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

That would be a mighty hard burrow, what with his less then optimal backfins and the tropical forest setting. Not impossible sure, but he'd have had to dig himself way deep when he was smaller, then grown to size without creating a depression or ridge....guess maybe that would work out if he directly absorbed mass out of the ground.

300m certainly is big, and the weight of 100,000 tons is far too low, he'd probably be closer to x5 to x10 times that mass even if he had no greater density then a cow, but I want monsters you can see from low orbit. And anyway its one problem I do see with thiss trilogy idea is that Godzilla has nothing left to destroy, and his firepower while not weak, isn't interesting or really more powerful then the past the way Shin Godzilla was.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Sea Skimmer wrote: 2018-02-17 07:49pm 300m certainly is big, and the weight of 100,000 tons is far too low, he'd probably be closer to x5 to x10 times that mass even if he had no greater density then a cow, but I want monsters you can see from low orbit. And anyway its one problem I do see with thiss trilogy idea is that Godzilla has nothing left to destroy, and his firepower while not weak, isn't interesting or really more powerful then the past the way Shin Godzilla was.
I'm willing to wait and see how it works out. After all, there is a remnant Human settlement that might be more than just dumb savages.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Jordanfrank
Redshirt

Post by Jordanfrank »

great movie.