Doctor Who: "Twice Upon a Time", aka "How in Rassilon's name do we not have a thread for this yet"?

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

How do you rate "Twice Upon a Time"?

5. Heaven Sent.
24%
4. Don't Blink.
40%
3. Day of the Moffat.
28%
2. A Fandom Goes to War.
No votes
1. Hell Bent.
8%

Total votes: 25

The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Doctor Who: "Twice Upon a Time", aka "How in Rassilon's name do we not have a thread for this yet"?

Post by The Romulan Republic »

So, as of the evening of December 25th., the final episode of the Moffat era of Doctor Who has aired, and in case you've been living in bunker for the last several months, the Doctor is now, for the first time, a woman, played by Jodie Whittaker.

Due to Christmas things, I missed most of the episode, but I decided to catch the last few minutes anyway, and watched the regeneration scene. Since I don't have all the context, I won't comment much, except to say two things:

1. The regeneration itself was somewhat reminiscent of Eleven's first appearance at the start of Moffat's run as head writer- probably deliberately done so to "book-end" the Moffat era.

I also thought I heard a bit of one of Ten's themes reprised by Murray Gold, which was nice.

2. Whittaker seems fine, though we don't have much to go on yet. Not as hyper as Eleven or Twelve's first appearance, which is probably a good thing. But then, I never had much doubt about her ability to play the Doctor. Like all new Doctors, this one will succeed or fail based on the competency of the management and writing staff, and especially the new head writer. So judgment must be deferred until the new season airs.

I am glad Moffat is gone, however. The man made some remarkable contributions to Who, and I think the creation of the Weeping Angels, his work on the 50th. Anniversary, and his setting the ground work for a female Doctor in particular will form an impressive lasting legacy on the show.

On the other hand, I find his tendencies towards egotism and fan boy self-indulgence, and his utter botching of the conclusion of the Time War arc in Hell Bent, to be unforgiveable.

In recognition of the mixed views of Moffat's era, the poll options reference certain beloved, and not so beloved, episodes written by our departing head writer.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Re: Doctor Who: "Twice Upon a Time", aka "How in Rassilon's name do we not have a thread for this yet"?

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

I liked it. I found it refreshing that there wasn't some sort of evil or nefarious plot. Bradley and Capaldi had some good chemistry and excellent banter as One/Twelve.

It wasn't outstanding...but it was a solid Xmas special and a strong end to Capaldi's run.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Re: Doctor Who: "Twice Upon a Time", aka "How in Rassilon's name do we not have a thread for this yet"?

Post by Enigma »

I liked the episode but I'm irked with "Doctor regenerates, must make Tardis go bonkers".
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Yeah...

Still, it looked like they toned down regeneration a bit from the last two, which is good. If they kept escalating at this rate, pretty soon they'd have to evacuate the solar system every time the Doctor was about to blow up regenerate. :wink:

Oh, one more thing: after all the fuss over the new costume pics, I thought Capaldi's dark coat looked really good for 13. I know its customary for each new Doctor to get their own outfit, but I actually thought it was a good fit, and half-wish they could just keep using that coat.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Well in fairness this was another one where the Doctor was holding back his regeneration, like Ten did. And that's the only other Regeneration=TARDIS loopy scene I can think of. 9/10 didn't, Derek Jacobi/John Simm didn't, 11/12 didn't, 10 into same 10 didn't either. So I tihnk the motto here is "Don't hold back on regenerating cos it wrecks things."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Eternal_Freedom wrote: 2017-12-27 07:21pm So I tihnk the motto here is "Don't hold back on regenerating cos it wrecks things."
Agreed. The longer the Doctor holds off, the worse it gets.

I also thought this was a great episode, although I had to see it a second time to realize the connection between Bill's Cybernized self in "The Doctor Falls" and the Cybermen the First Doctor had just encountered prior to meeting 12. So many parallels between the two episodes, if you think about it.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Dammit, I need a low-cost non-virused way to see these!
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

If you want a thread make a thread. Fucking hate people bitching about threads they want not being created in timely fashion.
Lost Soal
Sith Devotee

Post by Lost Soal »

Eternal_Freedom wrote: 2017-12-27 07:21pm Well in fairness this was another one where the Doctor was holding back his regeneration, like Ten did. And that's the only other Regeneration=TARDIS loopy scene I can think of. 9/10 didn't, Derek Jacobi/John Simm didn't, 11/12 didn't, 10 into same 10 didn't either. So I tihnk the motto here is "Don't hold back on regenerating cos it wrecks things."
Umm, small nit pick. The preamble to the 11/12 regeneration wiped out a Dalek army and ship. That was a bit of an escalation.

And the TARDIS went loopy this time so Chibnall could do a not-so-subtle everything old is leaving.
"May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places where you must walk." - Ancient Egyptian Blessing

Ivanova is always right.
I will listen to Ivanova.
I will not ignore Ivanova's recommendations. Ivanova is God.
AND, if this ever happens again, Ivanova will personally rip your lungs out! - Babylon 5 Mantra

There is no "I" in TEAM. There is a ME however.
B5B7
Jedi Knight

Post by B5B7 »

I liked the call out to the famous event of WWI, and also that Testimony was not a hostile alien.
The sexist lines of the first Doctor were a bit over the top - they were trying to be funny, and they were, but it was a bit inflammatory and demeaning towards the character.
TVWP: "Janeway says archly, "Sometimes it's the female of the species that initiates mating." Is the female of the species trying to initiate mating now? Janeway accepts Paris's apology and tells him she's putting him in for a commendation. The salamander sex was that good."
"Not bad - for a human"-Bishop to Ripley
GALACTIC DOMINATION Empire Board Game visit link below:
GALACTIC DOMINATION
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

Eternal_Freedom wrote: 2017-12-27 07:21pm Well in fairness this was another one where the Doctor was holding back his regeneration, like Ten did. And that's the only other Regeneration=TARDIS loopy scene I can think of. 9/10 didn't, Derek Jacobi/John Simm didn't, 11/12 didn't, 10 into same 10 didn't either. So I tihnk the motto here is "Don't hold back on regenerating cos it wrecks things."
10\11 yup. The Doctor had to fix the Tardis or the the engines would phase. 11/12 yup. The Doctor regenerates, somehow forgets how to operate the Tardis while it was going out of control. 12/13 yup. Doctor regenerates and the Tardis goes up in flames and disappears.
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Lost Soal wrote: 2017-12-28 05:13am
Umm, small nit pick. The preamble to the 11/12 regeneration wiped out a Dalek army and ship. That was a bit of an escalation.

And the TARDIS went loopy this time so Chibnall could do a not-so-subtle everything old is leaving.
11/12 was also the end of one regeneration cycle and the start of a new one. Even the Doctor said he had no idea what would happen, so I think we can file that under "very unexpected."

Lost Soal
Sith Devotee

Post by Lost Soal »

Yeah, he had no idea what would happen, which is why he aimed this normally natural part of his life cycle at the ship and Daleks surrounding him. That get-out RMD was fucking stupid.
"May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places where you must walk." - Ancient Egyptian Blessing

Ivanova is always right.
I will listen to Ivanova.
I will not ignore Ivanova's recommendations. Ivanova is God.
AND, if this ever happens again, Ivanova will personally rip your lungs out! - Babylon 5 Mantra

There is no "I" in TEAM. There is a ME however.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Broomstick wrote: 2017-12-27 11:51pm Dammit, I need a low-cost non-virused way to see these!
SlingTV?
That's how I saw it, thanks to my OtherBrother having a subscription.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

The Romulan Republic wrote: 2017-12-27 07:20pm Oh, one more thing: after all the fuss over the new costume pics, I thought Capaldi's dark coat looked really good for 13. I know its customary for each new Doctor to get their own outfit, but I actually thought it was a good fit, and half-wish they could just keep using that coat.
The coat looked good, but it's not going to be "right" for her. That whole new personality thing they do. I did like Capaldi's ring dropping off, that was a nice visual. End of an era, but also a nice way to demonstrate the difference in size.

Soontir C'boath
SG-14: Fuck the Medic!
Location: Queens, NYC I DON'T FUCKING CARE IF MANHATTEN IS CONSIDERED NYC!! I'M IN IT ASSHOLE!!!

Post by Soontir C'boath »

I thought I had posted already, but the Moffat Tribute/Behind the Scenes show that aired after has the director stating she had wanted to keep it low key like the original regenerations, but felt she had to stick with the latest. I wish she had kept to what she wanted.

I also wished the Doctor didn't start off with pushing one button and making everything go to hell.

I gave the episode a 4, though that's more in relation to the other crap that's been produced lately. If I had to give one word, I would say it was bland.
I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in his stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Counciler or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate, who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who constantly says: "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I cannot agree with your methods of direct action"; who paternalistically believes he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by a mythical concept of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait for a "more convenient season."
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

LadyTevar wrote: 2017-12-28 02:58pm
Broomstick wrote: 2017-12-27 11:51pm Dammit, I need a low-cost non-virused way to see these!
SlingTV?
That's how I saw it, thanks to my OtherBrother having a subscription.
BritBox is also an option? Free trial for a month and then 6.99 per month. I'm looking at it myself.
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Crazedwraith wrote: 2017-12-28 04:21am If you want a thread make a thread. Fucking hate people bitching about threads they want not being created in timely fashion.
Probably would have, if not for the fact that my computer is busted, I can't afford to replace it, and the library was closed for Christmas Day/Boxing Day. I posted this pretty much the first opportunity I had.

Normally I'd add to go fuck yourself, but since its Christmas, I'll forbear.

Captain Seafort
Jedi Council Member

Post by Captain Seafort »

LadyTevar wrote: 2017-12-27 11:13pm
Eternal_Freedom wrote: 2017-12-27 07:21pm So I tihnk the motto here is "Don't hold back on regenerating cos it wrecks things."
Agreed. The longer the Doctor holds off, the worse it gets.
Five held off his regeneration for some time without blowing up the Tardis. True, he then regenerated into a bloke with dress sense that looked like an explosion in a paint factory, but he didn't blow up the Tardis.
LadyTevar wrote: 2017-12-28 03:00pmI did like Capaldi's ring dropping off, that was a nice visual. End of an era, but also a nice way to demonstrate the difference in size.
It was also a reference to an argument Ben and Polly had with Two in "Power of the Daleks", immediately after his regeneration, over whether he really was the Doctor, as One's ring didn't fit his finger.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

The Romulan Republic wrote: 2017-12-28 05:56pm
Crazedwraith wrote: 2017-12-28 04:21am If you want a thread make a thread. Fucking hate people bitching about threads they want not being created in timely fashion.
Probably would have, if not for the fact that my computer is busted, I can't afford to replace it, and the library was closed for Christmas Day/Boxing Day. I posted this pretty much the first opportunity I had.

No you go fuck yourself there's no excuse you can make for not making the thread that might not apply to anyone else who might have made the thread.

So fuck you amd fuck your phony attempt to take the moral high ground.
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

We need to consider something with the Regeneration that blew up a Dalek ship.

How do we know that the Time Lords didn't deliberately make that regeneration super-powered TOO blow up the Dalek ship?
Clara's warning might have made them look and go 'hmmm, that's not good...'
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Crazedwraith wrote: 2017-12-28 06:18pm
The Romulan Republic wrote: 2017-12-28 05:56pm

No you go fuck yourself there's no excuse you can make for not making the thread that might not apply to anyone else who might have made the thread.

So fuck you amd fuck your phony attempt to take the moral high ground.
You do know the title was meant tongue in cheek, right? Not as a personal criticism of you?

In any case, you're the one who decided to take a minor quibble and make a fight out of it.

I don't know what your problem is- if this is vendetta, or you taking out personal shit on me, or just you trying to feel like a big man on the internet. But since you're obviously itching for a fight (however tenuous the reasons for it), I'm going to ignore you now.

Any chance a mod could split this bullshit off to HoS?

Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Hey, my bad, like I said it's a bug bear of mine. I'd have dropped it if you hadn't said in essence; 'well i'd insult you but I'm so much of a better person than that'
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

So I re-watched the regeneration scene on the BBC's Youtube channel, and I actually thought it was pretty well done, especially now that I've had a bit more time to process it. The Doctor's good bye speech was hit and miss, but his final departure was quite touching, and I liked the more subdued regeneration, and that little bit of glee from Thirteen at seeing what he/she had regenerated into. It might seem out of step with some of the older Doctors' responses to regenerating- Eleven seemed a bit freaked out at the notion that he might have regenerated into a woman. But given Twelve's evident world-weariness at the end, I think the chance to be and do something truly different might have been a welcome one.

I don't think it was a terribly good idea to start off Thirteen's run by her wrecking/falling out of the TARDIS. It comes across a little like "Oh, the Doctor's a woman now, and by the way, she's incompetent." But maybe I'm worrying too much- every Doctor tends to have a bit of a rough patch after their regeneration.

Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

I think the fact the regeneration trashed the TARDIS has more to do with the Doctor being tossed out then her being a woman.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.