13th Doctor's Companions Revealed.

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

13th Doctor's Companions Revealed.

Post by Crazedwraith »

The Guardian
Trio of new Doctor Who companions unveiled

Bradley Walsh, Mandip Gill and Tosin Cole have been unveiled as Jodie Whittaker’s co-stars when she becomes the first woman to take on the lead role in Doctor Who.

The trio will star as the 13th Doctor’s companions Graham, Yasmin and Ryan in the 10-week series to be broadcast in autumn 2018.

The longrunning BBC science fiction drama, which has defined Saturday teatime for several generations of Brits, is undergoing a complete revamp of its lead cast.

Whittaker, the star of Broadchurch and Trust Me, will take over in the Tardis from Peter Capaldi after the Christmas special, when the character will metamorphose into a woman for the first time.

Jodie Whittaker says Doctor Who casting was 'incredibly emotional'
Read more
Walsh, an actor, comedian and quiz show host, was widely expected to become the Doctor’s new righthand man, although details of his exact role are yet to be confirmed.

The Doctor’s new companions will join an illustrious line of actors including Pearl Mackie, who is currently starring alongside Capaldi, along with predecessors Jenna Coleman, Catherine Tate and Noel Clarke.

A fan of the hit series for half a century, Walsh told the BBC: “I remember watching William Hartnell as the first Doctor. Black and white made it very scary for a youngster like myself.

“I was petrified, but even though I’d watch most of it from behind the sofa through my fingers, I became a fan. Am I thrilled to be part of this whole groundbreaking new dawn for the Doctor? Oh yes.”

Gill, who has appeared in Hollyoaks and Casualty, said she was “over the moon” to be appearing in the programme.

Cole, who has had roles in Star Wars and EastEnders after first appearing in 2010 BBC teen drama The Cut, said he was excited to be “jumping into this Doctor Who universe”.

Chris Chibnall, the show’s new head writer who most recently wrote Broadchurch’s final series, described the new ensemble as “three of Britain’s brightest talents”.

Walsh is the oldest actor to be cast in the role of a regular companion. He will be 58 when he makes his first appearance next autumn. The average age of actors making their debut as companions had been 28.

The second oldest actor to play such a role is Matt Lucas, who was 43 when he became a regular cast member in April. Walsh and Lucas are the only actors who were over the age of 40 when they joined the show’s permanent cast as assistants to the Doctor.

However, age does not seem to be holding back the versatile Walsh, who is enjoying what may be the most successful period of his career to date.

The effervescent host of the popular ITV game show The Chase was in the charts last year with his album Chasing Dreams, which became the UK’s best-selling debut album of the year.
I was surprised there was so many but it allows them to be fully diverse I guess. Only ten episodes in the new series so maybe the BBC is not quite as confident as sometimes?
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Re: 13th Doctor's Companions Revealed.

Post by The Romulan Republic »

A group of companions is nothing new, if you go back to the old series. In fact, the show began with a companion trio.

And the Doctor/Amy/Rory dynamic was my favourite of the new series.

It also may make it less likely to fall into the Doctor/companion romance dynamic, which I usually don't care for.

I like this. I really like this.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
Q99
Jedi Council Member

Post by Q99 »

At some point a Doctor needs to go full Sentai team. Just sayin'.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

The only ten episodes thing worried me. It means that they'll have less time to develop the new characters and the plot for the season, and on the lack of confidence thing noted in the OP, it also comes off as a snub/showing lack of confidence in Chibnall and Whittaker.

Maybe its nothing to worry about, maybe there's a perfectly innocuous reason for it. But, if you're going to take risks and make a big change to the show, have the balls to commit. Otherwise, it looks like you're setting up your people to fail (which would of course be unfairly blamed by many on Whittaker being a woman).
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

B5B7
Jedi Knight

Post by B5B7 »

If Bradley's character has a similar humorous personality to the actual actor it would be interesting.
TVWP: "Janeway says archly, "Sometimes it's the female of the species that initiates mating." Is the female of the species trying to initiate mating now? Janeway accepts Paris's apology and tells him she's putting him in for a commendation. The salamander sex was that good."
"Not bad - for a human"-Bishop to Ripley
GALACTIC DOMINATION Empire Board Game visit link below:
GALACTIC DOMINATION
Q99
Jedi Council Member

Post by Q99 »

The Romulan Republic wrote: 2017-10-24 05:30pm The only ten episodes thing worried me. It means that they'll have less time to develop the new characters and the plot for the season, and on the lack of confidence thing noted in the OP, it also comes off as a snub/showing lack of confidence in Chibnall and Whittaker.
Flipside, it means they'll be less stretched time-wise allowing them to put more work into each, and it might reduce the gaps between seasons.

I heard someone work out the math and they only averaged about that many each year before. Especially if there's still an Xmas special.
Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Post by Iroscato »

Well, that makes Bradley Walsh the first and only Doctor Who companion I've ever met :lol:

I'm pleasantly surprised by there being three companions, interested to see the show be more of an ensemble. Ten episodes doesn't bother me greatly as a lot of shows do that length for seasons nowadays. I personally feel fully ready for a fresh start after the rollercoaster that was the Moffat era.
Yeah, I've always taken the subtext of the Birther movement to be, "The rules don't count here! This is different! HE'S BLACK! BLACK, I SAY! ARE YOU ALL BLIND!?

- Raw Shark

Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent.

- SirNitram (RIP)
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Q99 wrote: 2017-10-25 05:19am
The Romulan Republic wrote: 2017-10-24 05:30pm The only ten episodes thing worried me. It means that they'll have less time to develop the new characters and the plot for the season, and on the lack of confidence thing noted in the OP, it also comes off as a snub/showing lack of confidence in Chibnall and Whittaker.
Flipside, it means they'll be less stretched time-wise allowing them to put more work into each, and it might reduce the gaps between seasons.

I heard someone work out the math and they only averaged about that many each year before. Especially if there's still an Xmas special.
That's a fair point. It also means the effects budget will likely be less stretched, unless they cut the budget by a comparable or greater amount, which to me would be a potential indicator of lack of faith in the new team (or overall budget troubles for the BBC, though I've heard nothing recently to that effect).

IIRC, Game of Thrones typically has ten episodes a season (dropped to... seven, I think, for the last season).

Q99
Jedi Council Member

Post by Q99 »

The Romulan Republic wrote: 2017-10-25 01:17pm That's a fair point. It also means the effects budget will likely be less stretched, unless they cut the budget by a comparable or greater amount, which to me would be a potential indicator of lack of faith in the new team (or overall budget troubles for the BBC, though I've heard nothing recently to that effect).

IIRC, Game of Thrones typically has ten episodes a season (dropped to... seven, I think, for the last season).
Yea, if the budget takes a big hit, then I worry, but 10 per season is a solid amount so I'm not panicking.
FireNexus
Cookie

Post by FireNexus »

The Romulan Republic wrote: The only ten episodes thing worried me. It means that they'll have less time to develop the new characters and the plot for the season, and on the lack of confidence thing noted in the OP, it also comes off as a snub/showing lack of confidence in Chibnall and Whittaker.
The team may have requested it, too. From what I gather, creatives are super on board with the new landscape of ten episode seasons. It allows for tighter arcs, fewer bottle episodes (which is a mixed blessing for who, as their bottle episodes are exemplary) and a better return on budget in terms of quality. Since you generally can charge about the same amount for the season on digital platforms as a longer run, it also takes some of the financial pressure off the creative team to really blow things up.

Just, the shortened order brings Who in line with prestige TV. Which is sensible given the kind of money-maker it is for the Beeb.
I had a Bill Maher quote here. But fuck him for his white privelegy "joke".

All the rest? Too long.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Well, if that's the case, then I have no objection to it.

Just as long as the creative team and the execs are on the same page.