So I saw Blade Runner 2049

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Re: So I saw Blade Runner 2049

Post by FaxModem1 »

Solauren wrote: 2017-10-23 06:04pm
NeoGoomba wrote: 2017-10-23 02:37pm Spoiler
If it's a ruse, then it's to keep her from someone like Jared Leto, who would no doubt dissect her to attempt to discern how Tyrell was able to pull off his miracle. And honestly, wouldn't YOU want to keep your child away from Jared Leto? If it isn't a ruse, then her genetic condition may be a result of her hybrid lineage, yet still camouflages her from Jared Leto. Win-win.
Another thing to consider Spoiler
Even if Jared Leto's character got a hold of her, you could consider the reproduction flawed, as the child as a SEVERE problem that could be difficult to correct for.
Please stop quoting and putting spoilers in the same post.
Nephtys
Sith Acolyte

Post by Nephtys »

What a beautiful movie. So many elements I was thinking of.

Joi being able to 'go outside' and 'be realer' then mirroring K's reaction to snow after he learns he's 'special'... then the motif again as he realizes it doesn't matter or that he truly is at the end, plus then the realization of where in part that comes from in the very last shot. The fact too that he, an artificial person, can form a bond with a more artificial person then making that realization in front of the giant vulgar hologram to set his mind in the direction it did? Really beautiful.
Spoiler
We all knew she was going to die. But the fact that she was presented as becoming more of a person was big. Then when he's contemplating what to do after the 'not special' bombshell, seeing the vulgar pink giant that was the same product as his 'wife' and then making that discovery was splendid and not at all thrown at the viewer.

Also, I did love the small cues. Jared Leto is always... awkward... but the visuals again of him living in a giant ziggurat with the creepy, silent cameras is such a wonderful contrast of how far removed he is from all other people.

The final bit as I mentioned above was great, as it shows that in part, K was a real boy as is anyone who had the child's memories. Or anyone's really.
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Nephtys wrote: 2017-10-25 05:00am What a beautiful movie. So many elements I was thinking of.

Joi being able to 'go outside' and 'be realer' then mirroring K's reaction to snow after he learns he's 'special'... then the motif again as he realizes it doesn't matter or that he truly is at the end, plus then the realization of where in part that comes from in the very last shot. The fact too that he, an artificial person, can form a bond with a more artificial person then making that realization in front of the giant vulgar hologram to set his mind in the direction it did? Really beautiful.
Spoiler
We all knew she was going to die. But the fact that she was presented as becoming more of a person was big. Then when he's contemplating what to do after the 'not special' bombshell, seeing the vulgar pink giant that was the same product as his 'wife' and then making that discovery was splendid and not at all thrown at the viewer.

Also, I did love the small cues. Jared Leto is always... awkward... but the visuals again of him living in a giant ziggurat with the creepy, silent cameras is such a wonderful contrast of how far removed he is from all other people.

The final bit as I mentioned above was great, as it shows that in part, K was a real boy as is anyone who had the child's memories. Or anyone's really.
I love this interpolation, it's what I go for, and it grates me when people see it in the opposite way, that Joi wasn't real, that K 's experiences were all meaningless... but I think they're still uncomfortable with the expanded notion of human-ness (or, on the other hand, the decreasing distinction of human-ness).
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

The film was about humans, “replicants” are just a metaphor of the underclass - deprived of freedom and life, they are forced “off-world”, forced to fight in wars for their masters, they are deprived of feelings, forced to serve and obey. The entire dichotomy of who is a replicant and who is not is secondary to the overarching class struggle picture in the oligarchic anti-utopia.

This is not about real robots, it is about the dehumanization of society. After all, what is the difference between a warbot and a dehumanized soldier? Between a sexbot and a dehumanized prostitute?

The film is very clever to use the biorobot metaphor, because so far opressing robots does not seem to be a problem with humans. After all, it is just machines, artificial - means we own them and may do as we please, right? By showing that these are no different and in fact nothing else than humans, even if perhaps somewhat impaired, the film reminds idiots who believe in a capitalist-led future robotic utopia that it would just be the same, a different shade of slavery, but slavery nonetheless.

It is definetely the film of the year for me.
Lì ci sono chiese, macerie, moschee e questure, lì frontiere, prezzi inaccessibile e freddure
Lì paludi, minacce, cecchini coi fucili, documenti, file notturne e clandestini
Qui incontri, lotte, passi sincronizzati, colori, capannelli non autorizzati,
Uccelli migratori, reti, informazioni, piazze di Tutti i like pazze di passioni...

...La tranquillità è importante ma la libertà è tutto!
Assalti Frontali
Anacronian
Padawan Learner

Post by Anacronian »

Shroom Man 777 wrote: 2017-11-14 11:45am
Nephtys wrote: 2017-10-25 05:00am What a beautiful movie. So many elements I was thinking of.

Spoiler

I love this interpolation, it's what I go for, and it grates me when people see it in the opposite way, that Joi wasn't real, that K 's experiences were all meaningless... but I think they're still uncomfortable with the expanded notion of human-ness (or, on the other hand, the decreasing distinction of human-ness).
Personally, I think that K getting his heart broken by the Joi product was what made him "real" for me, what is more, human than getting your heart bronken and keep going, wanting to make some ..difference?
Homo sapiens! What an inventive, invincible species! It's only been a few million years since they crawled up out of the mud and learned to walk. Puny, defenseless bipeds. They've survived flood, famine and plague. They've survived cosmic wars and holocausts. And now, here they are, out among the stars, waiting to begin a new life. Ready to outsit eternity. They're indomitable... indomitable. ~ Dr.Who
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Anacronian wrote: 2017-12-28 05:13pm
Personally, I think that K getting his heart broken by the Joi product was what made him "real" for me, what is more, human than getting your heart bronken and keep going, wanting to make some ..difference?
It coincided with the revelation that his treasured origin was also an artifice, it's not coincidental.
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!