So I saw Blade Runner 2049

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Anacronian
Padawan Learner

So I saw Blade Runner 2049

Post by Anacronian »

I found the film to be pretty and with some great actor performances in it, Visually it's a treat but the story is weak overall.
Spoiler
Of the two plots in the film, I found the side plot of the tragic love story between K and Joi the most rewarding (even though it's similar to the film "Her")
What are your thoughts?
Homo sapiens! What an inventive, invincible species! It's only been a few million years since they crawled up out of the mud and learned to walk. Puny, defenseless bipeds. They've survived flood, famine and plague. They've survived cosmic wars and holocausts. And now, here they are, out among the stars, waiting to begin a new life. Ready to outsit eternity. They're indomitable... indomitable. ~ Dr.Who
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Re: So I saw Blade Runner 2049

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Hmm. I'd like to see it.

Visually good but weak story pretty much sums up probably most Hollywood SF films I've seen that was made in the last twenty or thirty years, so par for the course there.

Of course, I expect this film to get a lot of negative press simply because its a long-delayed sequel to a classic, and whenever that happens, its pretty much a guarantee that you'll have people screaming "RUINED FOREVER!" regardless of quality. So its nice to read an open-minded response to the film here.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
Anacronian
Padawan Learner

Post by Anacronian »

Ohh I wouldn't say "Ruined forever" I definitely think that it's a film worth seeing, Perhaps I sounded too negative in the OP.
Homo sapiens! What an inventive, invincible species! It's only been a few million years since they crawled up out of the mud and learned to walk. Puny, defenseless bipeds. They've survived flood, famine and plague. They've survived cosmic wars and holocausts. And now, here they are, out among the stars, waiting to begin a new life. Ready to outsit eternity. They're indomitable... indomitable. ~ Dr.Who
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

All my local friends who have seen it (and who have seen the original) have given thumbs up. I've been too busy to go.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Anacronian wrote: 2017-10-06 07:10pm Ohh I wouldn't say "Ruined forever" I definitely think that it's a film worth seeing, Perhaps I sounded too negative in the OP.
No, not at all. I'm saying I liked your commentary because I was expected a bunch of fan backlash over this film, so its nice that the first real post-release commentary I read was more objective. :)
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
JI_Joe84
Padawan Learner

Post by JI_Joe84 »

Well I went and saw it on Friday, was going to wait till Saturday but they decided to open up early on Friday and I cought the 2d on matinae. Score!
I thought it was great actually, I hadn't seen the original to brush up on the story but I got the jist just fine.
Nothing really had me lost and they didn't concentrate on the tech just to show off their gadgets. Lots of sci-fi makes that mistake, the tech should be there to help the story allong not the point of the movie.
I liked it, I really do.
Cykeisme
Jedi Council Member

Post by Cykeisme »

Spoiler
Did anyone feel like they overdid the strength and toughness of the Replicants a little bit?

I mean, you'd need some serious alterations to human genetics to make them that strong and tough without them looking any larger, more muscular, or inhuman in any way. In fact, if anything, the two main Replicants (protagonist and antagonist) are of unimposing build, if anything.
"..history has shown the best defense against heavy cavalry are pikemen, so aircraft should mount lances on their noses and fly in tight squares to fend off bombers". - RedImperator

"ha ha, raping puppies is FUN!" - Johonebesus

"It would just be Unicron with pew pew instead of nom nom". - Vendetta, explaining his justified disinterest in the idea of the movie Allspark affecting the Death Star
Anacronian
Padawan Learner

Post by Anacronian »

After thinking about it for a while I have come to the conclusion that I like it a bit more now than I did just walking out of the cinema.

My two small gripes are this :
Spoiler
1. K has an uncanny ability to just show up on scene to save the day without any prior knowledge, Especially at the end where K pop up in his spinner to shoot down the transports taking Deckard off-world, As far as I could gather there is no indication of K getting the knowledge that they would transport Deckard at all, He just pops up and starts shooting as far as I can see.

This might not be a big deal in most movies but for me, in a detective story where we follow the clues it stood out a bit.

2. This is more personal, I figured out how it would end midway through the film and that let me perhaps more disappointed with the main plot than it should have But saying that I still kind of thinks the main plot is the weaker of the two major plots in the film.
NeoGoomba
Sith Devotee

Post by NeoGoomba »

Saw it yesterday. It was far, far better than it had any right to be. Gosling was perfectly cast for his character, and holy shit, I forgot how much I love Harrison Ford when he actually shows up to act instead of just collect a check. The visuals were damn good, and the plot, while a little predictable, was executed well enough for me to not detract from the overall experience. There were parts of the film that felt like they were more Blade Runner sequel, and then parts that felt like they were more Philip K. Dick, if that makes any sense. Struck a good balance, I thought.

My one complaint is that I just hate Jared Leto, and he immediately makes me cringe.
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it. Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know...tomorrow."
-Agent Kay
Bob the Gunslinger
Has not forgotten the face of his father

Post by Bob the Gunslinger »

I also hated Jared Leto. His character was a void of good storytelling, to the point that his presence as Wallace made Luv a worse character.

I liked the film better than the first one, but I would still describe it as good rather than great, and certainly not a masterpiece.
"Gunslinger indeed. Quick draw, Bob. Quick draw." --Count Chocula

"Unquestionably, Dr. Who is MUCH lighter in tone than WH40K. But then, I could argue the entirety of WWII was much lighter in tone than WH40K." --Broomstick

"This is ridiculous. I look like the Games Workshop version of a Jedi Knight." --Harry Dresden, Changes

"Like...are we canonical?" --Aaron Dembski-Bowden to Dan Abnett
Guardsman Bass
Cowardly Codfish

Post by Guardsman Bass »

It was good. I liked the characters and I liked the twist. It didn't quite handle the slow pacing as well as the first Blade Runner film, but it was alright, and the set-up was good.

The atmosphere and visuals were good, but LA 2049 left me cold. It just feels like LA 2019 all over again with some shinier gadgets, except with not as much of the whole "alive but spiraling downwards" vibe that LA 2019 had in the original Blade Runner. Same old, same old.
“It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness. That is life.”
-Jean-Luc Picard

"Men are afraid that women will laugh at them. Women are afraid that men will kill them."
-Margaret Atwood
JLTucker
BANNED

Post by JLTucker »

I just saw the first for the first time I think it sucks. Should I skip this one?
Guardsman Bass
Cowardly Codfish

Post by Guardsman Bass »

It depends on what turned you off with the first film. You probably would not enjoy Blade Runner 2049.
“It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness. That is life.”
-Jean-Luc Picard

"Men are afraid that women will laugh at them. Women are afraid that men will kill them."
-Margaret Atwood
JLTucker
BANNED

Post by JLTucker »

Guardsman Bass wrote: 2017-10-11 02:08am It depends on what turned you off with the first film. You probably would not enjoy Blade Runner 2049.
I was turned off by the lack of development in Deckard’s internal struggle with killing the replicants. I didn’t buy any of it. The acting sucked too. Visuals were stunning, though.
Bob the Gunslinger

Well, the acting is better in BR2049...except for Jared Leto.

So, uh, I guess skip it.

"Unquestionably, Dr. Who is MUCH lighter in tone than WH40K. But then, I could argue the entirety of WWII was much lighter in tone than WH40K." --Broomstick

"This is ridiculous. I look like the Games Workshop version of a Jedi Knight." --Harry Dresden, Changes

Bob the Gunslinger

I also disliked the first one. The second one I thought was better, but nowhere near as great as it is described by fans.

NeoGoomba
Sith Devotee

Post by NeoGoomba »

As much as I love the original, even I have to concede that it's really more a collection of very good scenes connected by some seriously boring, plodding moments, and crappy editing.
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it. Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know...tomorrow."
-Agent Kay
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

I rather enjoyed it. It was a tad slow in parts, but you can tell that it's purposely slow. You're suppose to breathe this story in, and immerse yourself into the world. It feels like a logical extension of the world established in the first one, with more time passing, and things getting steadily worse. Earth is a world on it's last legs, and there's only really replicants and the unwanted humans left. Whatever civilization remains, it's not a good one.

The orphanage scene really illustrates what life is like for those still stuck on Earth. The bustling LA seen from 2019 is a shell of itself, and the main focus is on improving the off world colonies. The noodles and other foods available are gone, and instead you get to eat boiled artificial maggots. Yum yum.

At least they seem to have a lot of booze.

I thoroughly enjoyed the film, but I did have a couple problems with it.
Spoiler
The film's biggest problem is that halfway through, they reintroduce Deckard, and it has a hard time balancing his story with K's.

Deckard being forced to reunite with a version of Rachel was the most emotionally impacting scene in the film for me, and it's amazing how much those computer effects have evolved for actors. It's only been a few years since Tron Legacy's weird version of Flynn, after all.

I wonder if K will survive his wounds, as they do show the medical tech to heal him, or his last moments will be those on the steps, enjoying the snow.
NeoGoomba
Sith Devotee

Post by NeoGoomba »

Spoiler
Pretty sure the implication is that K dies. The musical cue was the giveaway for me, as it is the same music played in the original when Roy shuts down. And even if K was just passing out from blood loss, he's a flagged renegade Replicant. If he can't get back to the underground soon (which I doubt, since they were in the Midwest and he and Deckard are back on the West Coast), no one will help patch him up. Blade Runners will be after him, and the last thing he's going to want to do is draw them to Deckard and his daughter.
-Agent Kay
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

It was splendid, the film.
Lì ci sono chiese, macerie, moschee e questure, lì frontiere, prezzi inaccessibile e freddure
Lì paludi, minacce, cecchini coi fucili, documenti, file notturne e clandestini
Qui incontri, lotte, passi sincronizzati, colori, capannelli non autorizzati,
Uccelli migratori, reti, informazioni, piazze di Tutti i like pazze di passioni...

...La tranquillità è importante ma la libertà è tutto!
Assalti Frontali
Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Post by Iroscato »

For me, it was every inch the equal of the original. A flawed modern masterpiece, like the film it follows. Considering nobody asked for this, I'm pretty stunned at how well it turned out.
Yeah, I've always taken the subtext of the Birther movement to be, "The rules don't count here! This is different! HE'S BLACK! BLACK, I SAY! ARE YOU ALL BLIND!?

- Raw Shark

Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent.

- SirNitram (RIP)
Raw Shark
Stunt Driver / Babysitter

Post by Raw Shark »

Well, they do call #1 Blade Crawler for a reason. The payoff is there, but you need to do a bong rip and chill to get to it.

"Do I really look like a guy with a plan? Y'know what I am? I'm a dog chasing cars. I wouldn't know what to do with one if I caught it! Y'know, I just do things..." --The Joker
Cykeisme
Jedi Council Member

Post by Cykeisme »

Spoiler
Does Deckard's offspring actually have an immunological disorder? Or is it a ruse to trick her into staying safe in one spot? If so, by whom?
"..history has shown the best defense against heavy cavalry are pikemen, so aircraft should mount lances on their noses and fly in tight squares to fend off bombers". - RedImperator

"ha ha, raping puppies is FUN!" - Johonebesus

"It would just be Unicron with pew pew instead of nom nom". - Vendetta, explaining his justified disinterest in the idea of the movie Allspark affecting the Death Star
NeoGoomba
Sith Devotee

Post by NeoGoomba »

Spoiler
If it's a ruse, then it's to keep her from someone like Jared Leto, who would no doubt dissect her to attempt to discern how Tyrell was able to pull off his miracle. And honestly, wouldn't YOU want to keep your child away from Jared Leto? If it isn't a ruse, then her genetic condition may be a result of her hybrid lineage, yet still camouflages her from Jared Leto. Win-win.
-Agent Kay
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

NeoGoomba wrote: 2017-10-23 02:37pm Spoiler
If it's a ruse, then it's to keep her from someone like Jared Leto, who would no doubt dissect her to attempt to discern how Tyrell was able to pull off his miracle. And honestly, wouldn't YOU want to keep your child away from Jared Leto? If it isn't a ruse, then her genetic condition may be a result of her hybrid lineage, yet still camouflages her from Jared Leto. Win-win.
Another thing to consider Spoiler
Even if Jared Leto's character got a hold of her, you could consider the reproduction flawed, as the child as a SEVERE problem that could be difficult to correct for.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.