The Orville

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Rogue 9
Scrapping TIEs since 1997

Re: The Orville

Post by Rogue 9 »

Well, the tone of the thread has certainly changed since the first page, that's for sure. :grin: I'm thrilled it's been renewed; I'm having a blast watching this.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
JI_Joe84
Padawan Learner

Post by JI_Joe84 »

Me too, just saw the newest episode. The doctor finally gets her own episode and we see Isaac have to deal with kids. Loads of fun, LOL.
Burak Gazan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Burak Gazan »

That is how ALL fucking annoying vid or cell phone games need to be dealt with... :twisted:
"Of course, what would really happen is that in Game 7, with the Red Sox winning 20-0 in the 9th inning, with two outs and two strikes on the last Cubs batter, a previously unseen meteor would strike the earth, instantly and forever wiping out all life on the planet, and forever denying the Red Sox a World Series victory..."
Q99
Jedi Council Member

Post by Q99 »

Enigma wrote: 2017-11-02 04:56pm Whohoo! The show has been renewed for season 2!
Relatively short seasons, it seems, which isn't necessarily a minus, means quality should be high.
JI_Joe84
Padawan Learner

Post by JI_Joe84 »

Burak Gazan wrote: 2017-11-02 10:29pm That is how ALL fucking annoying vid or cell phone games need to be dealt with... :twisted:
I will second that!
Otacon30
Redshirt

Post by Otacon30 »

Just finished the newest episode and i must say its one of my favorites, however their were 2 really 'big' things (during the episode) that rubbed me the wrong way, the first I'm not going to go into because its more of a personal preference and political, i don't want to start an argument. But the second was terrible. During the Doctor scene she kills the guy who was holding her, i didn't care much for that, he wasn't a bad guy. Then no more then 3 minutes later she shoots some guy to get his blood sample, now these 2 things aren't big to hate her, she is scared and trying to get back to the ship, however what she says at the shuttle while they are being attacked kind of grinned my gears. she hands the *phaser* to her son and says "Keep it on stun, they might not value life, but we do" (para-phrase)... now, i understand she is probably lying trying to instill morals into her children even during a life/death situation, but i feel i finally have a character i hate, the doctor. other then that Isaac is the best.
Burak Gazan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Burak Gazan »

That was a little on the uneasy side. However, she was in Mama-Bear mode; anyone who knows a woman with children, and they in any sort of risk or peril, tread fucking carefully. It aint a laughing matter. Don't get between a mother and their children. Especially the human ones
"Of course, what would really happen is that in Game 7, with the Red Sox winning 20-0 in the 9th inning, with two outs and two strikes on the last Cubs batter, a previously unseen meteor would strike the earth, instantly and forever wiping out all life on the planet, and forever denying the Red Sox a World Series victory..."
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

Yeah the thing with Brian Thompson's fate- it seemed really unfair. He was a loner and paranoid, sure, but I felt he didn't deserve that. Still, a solid episode, but last week's is still my favorite so far.
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
Otacon30
Redshirt

Post by Otacon30 »

Yes, you must remember Brian Thompson could have left her for dead, scavenged the wreck for supplies and went back to his compound, none the more guilty, but he didn't, he took in a stranger during war time.

As for the 'Mama-bear' that only gets you so far in my book, she broke the 3 strikes of morality.
Burak Gazan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Burak Gazan »

Oh, I agree it's very squishy ground. He was a survivalist and a bit nutty, but he wasn't evil. Pretty deep stuff for a show everyone was laughing off a couple months ago. Bravo Zulu, boys
JI_Joe84
Padawan Learner

Post by JI_Joe84 »

Otacon30 wrote: 2017-11-03 10:25pm Just finished the newest episode and i must say its one of my favorites, however their were 2 really 'big' things (during the episode) that rubbed me the wrong way, the first I'm not going to go into because its more of a personal preference and political, i don't want to start an argument. But the second was terrible. During the Doctor scene she kills the guy who was holding her, i didn't care much for that, he wasn't a bad guy. Then no more then 3 minutes later she shoots some guy to get his blood sample, now these 2 things aren't big to hate her, she is scared and trying to get back to the ship, however what she says at the shuttle while they are being attacked kind of grinned my gears. she hands the *phaser* to her son and says "Keep it on stun, they might not value life, but we do" (para-phrase)... now, i understand she is probably lying trying to instill morals into her children even during a life/death situation, but i feel i finally have a character i hate, the doctor. other then that Isaac is the best.
The old guy that "rescued" her was creepy and abusing her. Did you not see him shove her around? What about the locked door on her little dungeon room? The bolted windows? He was a nut and when he found her getting the hell out of there he attacked. She had a right to use deadly force on him right then as far as I'm concerned.
Then as far as shooting him, he picked up the knife and immediately came at her, she did not have the fancy swiss army laser pistol, later she did and that is when she went back to the stun setting. It's perfectly fine.
The guy she got the blood sample from was squatting on the trail kind of waiting on her. She ran in to him in the woods, no way to get away as he came running like a zombie at her and the only weapon she had was the gun. Again its totally fine, she was totally with in her rights.
And again when she had access to the stun gun she used it instead of the regular pistol gun. That speaks volumes for her character right there.

One last thing, just because some one feeds you or "saved" you it does not give them the right to abuse you. You do have the right to protest AND defend your self, with deadly force if necessary, and believe me the deadly force is necessary part can become a reality in an instant. You don't all ways have time to psychoannalize before you choose whether to kill you're attacker or take a chance on fighting them hand to hand.
Women being abused are the victims even if the guy acts nice for a little bit.
Burak Gazan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Burak Gazan »

I think it's a boon, that Orville portrays its characters like this; they're people - and sometimes, like people, like US, they can be asses. Or do stupid stuff. But it's refreshing. Look at the rescue: the fancy navicomp is in bits; Trek would work 1/3 the time or wank some solution. Ed? "To hell with that, get moving, and DO IT the old fashioned way" I swear they must have a board with big letters, WWKD? What would KIRK do? :D
JI_Joe84
Padawan Learner

Post by JI_Joe84 »

Burak Gazan wrote: 2017-11-04 01:28am I think it's a boon, that Orville portrays its characters like this; they're people - and sometimes, like people, like US, they can be asses. Or do stupid stuff. But it's refreshing. Look at the rescue: the fancy navicomp is in bits; Trek would work 1/3 the time or wank some solution. Ed? "To hell with that, get moving, and DO IT the old fashioned way" I swear they must have a board with big letters, WWKD? What would KIRK do? :D
That last part is not a bad idea, not bad at all.hhhhrrrmmm
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

Otacon30 wrote: 2017-11-03 10:25pmBut the second was terrible. During the Doctor scene she kills the guy who was holding her, i didn't care much for that, he wasn't a bad guy. Then no more then 3 minutes later she shoots some guy to get his blood sample, now these 2 things aren't big to hate her, she is scared and trying to get back to the ship, however what she says at the shuttle while they are being attacked kind of grinned my gears. she hands the *phaser* to her son and says "Keep it on stun, they might not value life, but we do" (para-phrase)... now, i understand she is probably lying trying to instill morals into her children even during a life/death situation, but i feel i finally have a character i hate, the doctor. other then that Isaac is the best.
Did she have any other options ?

The only options I'm aware of her having were:
- Remain in captivity.
- Use deadly force to escape.
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

bilateralrope wrote: 2017-11-05 04:13am

- Remain in captivity.
She was locked in her room, and able to escape, to another part of his shelter while he was gone. Was she unable to leave his shelter entirely while he was searching for medical supplies? That affects whether waiting until he got back was murder or not.
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

FaxModem1 wrote: 2017-11-05 09:22am

- Remain in captivity.
She was locked in her room, and able to escape, to another part of his shelter while he was gone. Was she unable to leave his shelter entirely while he was searching for medical supplies? That affects whether waiting until he got back was murder or not.
There was a second door inside the shelter. She tried to open it but couldn't. It seemed locked. So no getting out unless he unlocked it. Climbing down the building wasn't an option.
JI_Joe84
Padawan Learner

Post by JI_Joe84 »

It was a concrete apt. Building with his being up many floors. No way to get down, she was lucky to get around on that ledge.
streetad
Padawan Learner

Post by streetad »

Enigma wrote: 2017-11-02 04:56pm Whohoo! The show has been renewed for season 2!
Whatever you think about Seth McFarlane's usual shows, he must have made a LOT of money for Fox. It doesn't usually work like that, so it's nice to see them willing to indulge him when he wants to make his love letter to TNG, even if it's only moderately successful.
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

JI_Joe84 wrote: 2017-11-05 12:17pm It was a concrete apt. Building with his being up many floors. No way to get down, she was lucky to get around on that ledge.
Don't be daft. Clearly trying an essentially impossible the fall from which inevitably will kill you climb is morally superior to shooting the guy who kidnapped you, locked you up, already abused you and has Valen alone knows what plans for the future.
Both were clearly (to anybody but Otacon30) self-defense situations and we don't even know she actually killed anybody. It was never affirmed that either of them were dead (contrary to what Hollywood would have you believe, gunshot wounds are NOT always instantly lethal even if you're a no-name mook) and given the angle the good doctor held the gun for the second shot I'd expect a leg hit.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

bilateralrope wrote: 2017-11-05 09:27am
FaxModem1 wrote: 2017-11-05 09:22am

- Remain in captivity.
There was a second door inside the shelter. She tried to open it but couldn't. It seemed locked. So no getting out unless he unlocked it. Climbing down the building wasn't an option.
Okay, yeah. Really no choice but to wait until he lets her out, or force her way out, and the latter has a better chance of her survival.
JI_Joe84
Padawan Learner

Post by JI_Joe84 »

Batman wrote: 2017-11-05 06:53pm
JI_Joe84 wrote: 2017-11-05 12:17pm It was a concrete apt. Building with his being up many floors. No way to get down, she was lucky to get around on that ledge.
Don't be daft. Clearly trying an essentially impossible the fall from which inevitably will kill you climb is morally superior to shooting the guy who kidnapped you, locked you up, already abused you and has Valen alone knows what plans for the future.
Both were clearly (to anybody but Otacon30) self-defense situations and we don't even know she actually killed anybody. It was never affirmed that either of them were dead (contrary to what Hollywood would have you believe, gunshot wounds are NOT always instantly lethal even if you're a no-name mook) and given the angle the good doctor held the gun for the second shot I'd expect a leg hit.
I just meant that from the outside shot they showed, their was a sloped ledge that would be tempting in the situation but a few moments of consideration would quickly nix that idea.
I don't have a problem with people killing other people, in her situation she was totally justified in killing him with a lethal weapon if that is all that is available.
We can't just look at the weapons, we must also consider the individual's physical size and strengths.
She is an older woman, he is a older male. We don't know his species physical qualities but he is way bigger than she is and if I know any thing about hand to hand combat its that when facing a larger AND stronger opponent it does not matter how scrappy you are or what kind of special move you think you know ( martial artist think they are way better fighters than any one because they can kick or what ever) you are going down unless you have some thing like a gun. That's litteraly why guns were invented. To allow any serf the ability to kill even a knight in battle with little if any training.
JI_Joe84
Padawan Learner

Post by JI_Joe84 »

So the new episode was just on. Got the distinct impression of rob Lowe? Was that the guest star?
I was think pheromones like andosian's or green space girls from pretty much the beginning, any one else?
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

JI_Joe84 wrote: 2017-11-10 12:05am So the new episode was just on. Got the distinct impression of rob Lowe? Was that the guest star?
I was think pheromones like andosian's or green space girls from pretty much the beginning, any one else?
IMDB confirms it as him.

From what I can tell from last week's episode was that ships from the Union are slower than SW ships but a lot faster than ST ships.
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!
Burak Gazan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Burak Gazan »

87,600C Yeah, they can haul ass
JI_Joe84
Padawan Learner

Post by JI_Joe84 »

Yeah cool on the speed thing but it doesn't really matter as you don't really see it on the screen.
This is about the people, really crappy 2nd rate star fleet people, just trying to do the job. That is when they are not humping statues.