The Orville

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Post Reply
User avatar
Lord Insanity
Padawan Learner
Posts: 385
Joined: 2006-02-28 10:00pm

Re: The Orville

Post by Lord Insanity » 2017-11-30 10:17pm

I can't be the only one that just watched that and thought...
"What the hell was that?"
"The Orville."
"They've gone to Tron."

This show really is everything the new Star Trek series wished it was.
-Lord Insanity

"A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men" -The Real Willy Wonka

Q99
Jedi Council Member
Posts: 2036
Joined: 2015-05-16 01:33pm

Re: The Orville

Post by Q99 » 2017-11-30 11:50pm

Lord Insanity wrote:
2017-11-30 10:17pm
I can't be the only one that just watched that and thought...
"What the hell was that?"
"The Orville."
"They've gone to Tron."

This show really is everything the new Star Trek series wished it was.
Or maybe what Discovery should want to be :)

I'm really digging on how they deal with command issues- Two characters do a prank... and get real reprimands.

This was possibly the most trek-ish episode to date, and really good. Though my DVR cut off the tail end! Was there anything after Mercer and Kelly had their talk?

User avatar
Lord Insanity
Padawan Learner
Posts: 385
Joined: 2006-02-28 10:00pm

Re: The Orville

Post by Lord Insanity » 2017-12-01 11:07pm

Q99 wrote:
2017-11-30 11:50pm
Or maybe what Discovery should want to be :)

I'm really digging on how they deal with command issues- Two characters do a prank... and get real reprimands.

This was possibly the most trek-ish episode to date, and really good. Though my DVR cut off the tail end! Was there anything after Mercer and Kelly had their talk?
I'm surprised no one replied to this yet.
Mercer sees the "plant guy" in the hall and forgets his name and goes: "Hey, there you are."
LaMarr is shown as a newly promoted Lt. Commander assuming the position of Chief Engineer.

Thinking it over they pretty much just made LaMarr have a similar character arc to LaForge (from TNG) but for very different reasons.
-Lord Insanity

"A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men" -The Real Willy Wonka

Q99
Jedi Council Member
Posts: 2036
Joined: 2015-05-16 01:33pm

Re: The Orville

Post by Q99 » 2017-12-02 01:47am

Lord Insanity wrote:
2017-12-01 11:07pm
Q99 wrote:
2017-11-30 11:50pm
Or maybe what Discovery should want to be :)

I'm really digging on how they deal with command issues- Two characters do a prank... and get real reprimands.

This was possibly the most trek-ish episode to date, and really good. Though my DVR cut off the tail end! Was there anything after Mercer and Kelly had their talk?
I'm surprised no one replied to this yet.
Mercer sees the "plant guy" in the hall and forgets his name and goes: "Hey, there you are."
LaMarr is shown as a newly promoted Lt. Commander assuming the position of Chief Engineer.

Thinking it over they pretty much just made LaMarr have a similar character arc to LaForge (from TNG) but for very different reasons.
Thanks :)

And yea, LaForge did do the 'bridge crew to Chief Engineer' shift, though in his case no-one knew what they heck he was supposed to be before that ^^ Definite parallel in retrospect.

Q99
Jedi Council Member
Posts: 2036
Joined: 2015-05-16 01:33pm

Re: The Orville

Post by Q99 » 2017-12-02 06:25am

Oh wow, I didn't realize the ship is a model. That's pretty awesome, I hadn't thought about it but it works.

User avatar
Burak Gazan
Jedi Council Member
Posts: 1536
Joined: 2002-12-30 07:45pm
Location: Sault Ste Marie, Ontario
Contact:

Re: The Orville

Post by Burak Gazan » 2017-12-02 10:21am

And yea, LaForge did do the 'bridge crew to Chief Engineer' shift, though in his case no-one knew what they heck he was supposed to be before that ^^ Definite parallel in retrospect
And Orville, shows Trek again, how to do something properly. SHOW how he got the job. Because frankly, Ole Hairclip up till then struck me as a spaz and utter redshirt :twisted:
"Of course, what would really happen is that in Game 7, with the Red Sox winning 20-0 in the 9th inning, with two outs and two strikes on the last Cubs batter, a previously unseen meteor would strike the earth, instantly and forever wiping out all life on the planet, and forever denying the Red Sox a World Series victory..."

User avatar
Burak Gazan
Jedi Council Member
Posts: 1536
Joined: 2002-12-30 07:45pm
Location: Sault Ste Marie, Ontario
Contact:

Re: The Orville

Post by Burak Gazan » 2017-12-02 10:24am

Q99 wrote:
2017-12-02 06:25am
Oh wow, I didn't realize the ship is a model. That's pretty awesome, I hadn't thought about it but it works.
Damn
These guys really have their heads screwed on properly
"Of course, what would really happen is that in Game 7, with the Red Sox winning 20-0 in the 9th inning, with two outs and two strikes on the last Cubs batter, a previously unseen meteor would strike the earth, instantly and forever wiping out all life on the planet, and forever denying the Red Sox a World Series victory..."

Q99
Jedi Council Member
Posts: 2036
Joined: 2015-05-16 01:33pm

Re: The Orville

Post by Q99 » 2017-12-03 03:46am

Burak Gazan wrote:
2017-12-02 10:24am
Q99 wrote:
2017-12-02 06:25am
Oh wow, I didn't realize the ship is a model. That's pretty awesome, I hadn't thought about it but it works.
Damn
These guys really have their heads screwed on properly
Yea, the prior trek shows phased out models after the first seasons of Voyager (though they used model-shots of the Voy throughout), but I do think they have a point on a model still bringing a sense of reality to the closeups and such.

User avatar
Burak Gazan
Jedi Council Member
Posts: 1536
Joined: 2002-12-30 07:45pm
Location: Sault Ste Marie, Ontario
Contact:

Re: The Orville

Post by Burak Gazan » 2017-12-03 11:33am

Yes indeed. It's why the effects in Empire hold up even now. And the Rogue guys, they CGI'd the actual Models so their look would be as good
Modelmaking is not dead yet. The detail work they spent on Orville really stands out. It also shows how much the production team cares about doing the job. Bravo
"Of course, what would really happen is that in Game 7, with the Red Sox winning 20-0 in the 9th inning, with two outs and two strikes on the last Cubs batter, a previously unseen meteor would strike the earth, instantly and forever wiping out all life on the planet, and forever denying the Red Sox a World Series victory..."

User avatar
Rogue 9
Scrapping TIEs since 1997
Posts: 17763
Joined: 2003-11-12 01:10pm
Location: Classified
Contact:

Re: The Orville

Post by Rogue 9 » 2017-12-03 12:10pm

I just got done watching last week's. It was kind of strange that the Krill gave up so quickly, though maybe they just recovered their rifles and left without knowing the Union was ever there if their sensors aren't as good as the Orville's (which is possible, as it's an exploration vessel). Also, it'll cause all KINDS of professional difficulties if Captain Mercer and Commander Grayson get back together. Just sayin'. :razz:
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician

User avatar
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader
Posts: 6037
Joined: 2002-07-12 12:27am
Location: Kill! Smash! Destroy! Rend! Mangle! Distort!

Re: The Orville

Post by Galvatron » 2017-12-03 12:53pm

Rogue 9 wrote:
2017-12-03 12:10pm
Also, it'll cause all KINDS of professional difficulties if Captain Mercer and Commander Grayson get back together. Just sayin'. :razz:
Yeah, it'll break Alara's heart. :P

Q99
Jedi Council Member
Posts: 2036
Joined: 2015-05-16 01:33pm

Re: The Orville

Post by Q99 » 2017-12-03 08:32pm

Rogue 9 wrote:
2017-12-03 12:10pm
I just got done watching last week's. It was kind of strange that the Krill gave up so quickly, though maybe they just recovered their rifles and left without knowing the Union was ever there if their sensors aren't as good as the Orville's (which is possible, as it's an exploration vessel). Also, it'll cause all KINDS of professional difficulties if Captain Mercer and Commander Grayson get back together. Just sayin'. :razz:
The Krill probably assumed they just left- even if the Krill ships detected them before, they were in that rift for a few hours. If you go to a place where the enemy was and they're not there nor are they even in sight, assuming they're gone makes sense.

Aside from sensors, I expect their engines to be faster too since, after all, explorer.

User avatar
Rogue 9
Scrapping TIEs since 1997
Posts: 17763
Joined: 2003-11-12 01:10pm
Location: Classified
Contact:

Re: The Orville

Post by Rogue 9 » 2017-12-08 10:56pm

Well, that was something. And now we wait for next fall. Spoiler
A major question I have: How did a spacefaring vessel make the transition with the planet? After all, it didn't suck the Orville through when it was in orbit.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician

User avatar
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Posts: 15274
Joined: 2002-07-09 04:51am
Location: 'Very' mildly hopeful now DC recognized taking Clark's red trunks away was a bad idea
Contact:

Re: The Orville

Post by Batman » 2017-12-08 11:27pm

It was planetside, airborne but not orbital , or in a sufficiently low orbit to be carried along?
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'

User avatar
JI_Joe84
Padawan Learner
Posts: 159
Joined: 2015-11-01 09:53pm

Re: The Orville

Post by JI_Joe84 » 2017-12-09 07:31pm

The "effect" seemed to hug the planet pretty close to its atmosphere so I would guess that if it waited on the ground until the planet was done transitioning it could then lift off and be in the Orville's universe. It would the be in danger of being left behind if it didn't get back down in time though.
Also Isac was with them, he probably wanted to get back so that helps.

User avatar
JI_Joe84
Padawan Learner
Posts: 159
Joined: 2015-11-01 09:53pm

Re: The Orville

Post by JI_Joe84 » 2017-12-09 07:32pm

Batman wrote:
2017-12-08 11:27pm
It was planetside, airborne but not orbital , or in a sufficiently low orbit to be carried along?
Didn't alar say she was picking up satalites or just digital communications?

User avatar
Rogue 9
Scrapping TIEs since 1997
Posts: 17763
Joined: 2003-11-12 01:10pm
Location: Classified
Contact:

Re: The Orville

Post by Rogue 9 » 2017-12-09 11:47pm

JI_Joe84 wrote:
2017-12-09 07:32pm
Batman wrote:
2017-12-08 11:27pm
It was planetside, airborne but not orbital , or in a sufficiently low orbit to be carried along?
Didn't alar say she was picking up satalites or just digital communications?
They were picking up artificial satellites in orbit. But the Orville was in a very low orbit itself the first time the planet phased out, which prompted my question.

This also raises the issue of all their ships spread out across their galaxy. In the time they were delivering Isaac, they'd all have been cut off from their base for seven hundred years.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician

User avatar
JI_Joe84
Padawan Learner
Posts: 159
Joined: 2015-11-01 09:53pm

Re: The Orville

Post by JI_Joe84 » 2017-12-10 12:55am

Ok so they could just return to low orbit when the time comes, no biggie there.
The being cut off from their fleet could be a problem, they are not in the Orville's verse for very long, 11 min. I think they said, hard to explore with such a short window.
If some one hostile found them and decided to attack or some thing that could be a long 11 minutes for them.
I suppose they could have their fleet comeback to the home world for the occasion you know just in case, it would be only 11 min. to them then they could go back to doing what ever they do in the 700 years between umm "phasing" is it?

User avatar
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand
Posts: 10484
Joined: 2003-04-10 03:45pm
Location: Cheshire, England

Re: The Orville

Post by Crazedwraith » 2018-07-11 04:03pm

Been watching the show on Now TV and just hit episode 9 Cupid's Dagger.

Which is terrible and is comedy episode involving the chemical rape of the main characters, which is then used to solve the episodes conflict. This is appalling on top on the already-none-too-good Ed/Kelly plot arc.

Mostly I've enjoyed it and I think pitching it as sort of pastiche/comedy works well for it. It gets credit for what it does well and anything it does bad or has poor logic on (like krell ships being capable of burning it's crew to death) is excused because... it's a comedy. On top of it's actual good qualities of optimism and Utopian futures that works well.
To the brave passengers and crew of the Kobayashi Maru... sucks to be you - Peter David

User avatar
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand
Posts: 10484
Joined: 2003-04-10 03:45pm
Location: Cheshire, England

Re: The Orville

Post by Crazedwraith » 2018-07-11 04:29pm

ghetto edit: the darillo guy gets away with it too. Bullshits Alara that it must have happened when they shook hands. When he very clearly intentionally did it to at least Ed to get him off his back and probably Kelly as well just to get in her pants. It's despicable.
To the brave passengers and crew of the Kobayashi Maru... sucks to be you - Peter David

User avatar
U.P. Cinnabar
Sith Devotee
Posts: 3134
Joined: 2016-02-05 08:11pm
Location: Aboard the RCS Princess Cecile

Re: The Orville

Post by U.P. Cinnabar » 2018-07-11 08:12pm

Crazedwraith wrote:
2018-07-11 04:03pm
Been watching the show on Now TV and just hit episode 9 Cupid's Dagger.

Which is terrible and is comedy episode involving the chemical rape of the main characters, which is then used to solve the episodes conflict. This is appalling on top on the already-none-too-good Ed/Kelly plot arc.

Mostly I've enjoyed it and I think pitching it as sort of pastiche/comedy works well for it. It gets credit for what it does well and anything it does bad or has poor logic on (like krell ships being capable of burning it's crew to death) is excused because... it's a comedy. On top of it's actual good qualities of optimism and Utopian futures that works well.
This was created by the same man who made a tasteless suicide joke and made fun of the handicapped in the same "Family Guy" episode. What did you honestly expect from Seth?
"Beware the Beast, Man, for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone amongst God's primates, he kills for sport, for lust, for greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him, drive him back into his jungle lair, for he is the harbinger of Death.."
—29th Scroll, 6th Verse of Ape Law
"Indelible in the hippocampus is the laughter. The uproarious laughter between the two, and their having fun at my expense.”
---Doctor Christine Blasey-Ford

User avatar
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand
Posts: 10484
Joined: 2003-04-10 03:45pm
Location: Cheshire, England

Re: The Orville

Post by Crazedwraith » 2018-07-12 02:19am

Never having watched more than one episode of Family Guy, I have no idea what to expect from Seth. It doesn't change my opinion of the episode.
To the brave passengers and crew of the Kobayashi Maru... sucks to be you - Peter David

Q99
Jedi Council Member
Posts: 2036
Joined: 2015-05-16 01:33pm

Re: The Orville

Post by Q99 » 2018-07-12 05:39pm

Frankly he's so much better in the Orville on the whole than FG- Family Guy is supposed to be mean-spirited, while Orville is a mostly-optimistic future that tends to handle morals better than that (like the deciding-the-gender-of-a-child one).

User avatar
Dominus Atheos
Sith Marauder
Posts: 3718
Joined: 2005-09-15 09:41pm
Location: Portland, Oregon

Re: The Orville

Post by Dominus Atheos » 2018-07-15 05:52am

For that episode, I'm absolutely positive that Seth Macfarlane was expecting to get points for showing his character explicitly having homosexual sex without anyone making a big deal about it. And if that was all that happened, it might have been praiseworthy.

Except that what actually happened was homosexual rape (and heterosexual rape) and a big deal really should have been made about it. Dumbass. :banghead:

Post Reply