The Orville

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Alferd Packer
Sith Marauder

Re: The Orville

Post by Alferd Packer »

4 episodes in, I really like it. Honestly, the weakest part of the show is Seth MacFarlane himself, but we all know there's a difference between being a good voice actor and being a good actor. Still, the important thing is there's nothing inherently objectionable about Ed Mercer as he is written. And hell, Seth MacFarlane has made so much money for Fox that if he wants to be Captain, I say more power to him.
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance--that principle is contempt prior to investigation." -Herbert Spencer

"Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain." - Schiller, Die Jungfrau von Orleans, III vi.
JI_Joe84
Padawan Learner

Post by JI_Joe84 »

Seth is doing fine, he's a actor that's not perfect looking ( there is something going on with his face that he probably can not help) and is doing really great even in front of the camera.
I'm liking most of his live action stuff, Family guy I can only take in doses. American Dad is just crap I mean where did they get the 👽 Roger from any way? What is that?
streetad
Padawan Learner

Post by streetad »

Area 51, duh...

I don't know - American Dad/Family Guy have their moments (mainly involving Patrick Stewart saying outrageously ludicrous things). It's hard to maintain quality when you have a gag every 30 seconds for hundreds of episodes.
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

Finally had a chance to give EP1 a shot. This is a pretty good Star Trek show, just with more snark. Something in between stick-in-the-mud early TNG seasons and GalaxyQuest. Essentially, this is what happens when you just let your actors have fun.
Rogue 9
Scrapping TIEs since 1997

Post by Rogue 9 »

The... causality... problems...

*brain break*

:wtf:
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
Burak Gazan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Burak Gazan »

Like Kirk never gave Causality the finger... :D
"Of course, what would really happen is that in Game 7, with the Red Sox winning 20-0 in the 9th inning, with two outs and two strikes on the last Cubs batter, a previously unseen meteor would strike the earth, instantly and forever wiping out all life on the planet, and forever denying the Red Sox a World Series victory..."
Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

Though one thing's bugging me. Spoiler
I may have missed it, but while Mercer told Pria about his marriage and divorce, I didn't hear him identify Commander Grayson as his ex. So really, if "she's from the future" isn't really the explanation, how did she know?
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
Burak Gazan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Burak Gazan »

She could have asked around, that information is common now throughout the crew
"Of course, what would really happen is that in Game 7, with the Red Sox winning 20-0 in the 9th inning, with two outs and two strikes on the last Cubs batter, a previously unseen meteor would strike the earth, instantly and forever wiping out all life on the planet, and forever denying the Red Sox a World Series victory..."
FedRebel
Jedi Master

Post by FedRebel »

Rogue 9 wrote: 2017-10-06 05:44pm The... causality... problems...

*brain break*

Maybe the Dark Matter Storm was a byproduct of the wormhole? No more wormhole, no Dark Matter Storm to crush the Orville.
biostem
Jedi Master

Post by biostem »

*brain break*

It makes me wonder if the transporter device the captain confiscated, is still in his drawer, or if everyone even remembers the events that just transpired.
Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

One would think everything she brought with her would also disappear, since she was never there.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

FedRebel wrote: 2017-10-06 11:56pm

*brain break*

Maybe the Dark Matter Storm was a byproduct of the wormhole? No more wormhole, no Dark Matter Storm to crush the Orville.
No, the dark matter storm existed since in Pria's future The Orville was destroyed by it. She didn't cause it and AFAIK, neither did the wormhole.
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

*brain break*

It's a story about altering the timeline. They always have causality problems.
Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

Well yes, but they established that if Pria never came back to get the Orville, it would have been destroyed in the dark matter storm. So change the timeline so she never comes through the wormhole, and...
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

It's a time travel story. It's not going to make sense.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Q99
Jedi Council Member

Post by Q99 »

Batman wrote: 2017-10-10 10:35pm It's a time travel story. It's not going to make sense.
It's not that hard to make a time travel story make sense (I say having not seen the episode in question).
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

There is, like, an entire list of ways to make a time travel story internally coherent.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Q99
Jedi Council Member

Post by Q99 »

Simon_Jester wrote: 2017-10-12 03:06pm There is, like, an entire list of ways to make a time travel story internally coherent.
The number one rule: Pick a time travel mechanic, stick with it!
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

Honestly the causality question at the end didn't bother me, it was, (like the previous one) a very well done story.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
FireNexus
Cookie

Post by FireNexus »

Simon_Jester wrote: 2017-10-12 03:06pm There is, like, an entire list of ways to make a time travel story internally coherent.
They could have just technobabbled that having gone through the wormhole exempted them from the effects, but not her because she was actually from that time. Or that her presence is what put them in the path of the dark matter storm in the first place. Or that the dark matter was collecting due to the wormhole as had been mentioned previously. Lazy.
I had a Bill Maher quote here. But fuck him for his white privelegy "joke".

All the rest? Too long.
FireNexus
Cookie

Post by FireNexus »

Rogue 9 wrote: 2017-10-10 10:29pm Well yes, but they established that if Pria never came back to get the Orville, it would have been destroyed in the dark matter storm. So change the timeline so she never comes through the wormhole, and...
The established that priya’s history recorded its destruction I the dark matter storm. But maybe they never crossed it without taking the detour to save her.
I had a Bill Maher quote here. But fuck him for his white privelegy "joke".

All the rest? Too long.
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

ding ding ding
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

This week: Spoiler
Holy FUCK, Lt. Malloy should have gotten them caught long before he did. Who the hell thought sending him on this type of mission was a good idea?

Oh well. They not only got the book, but the whole damn ship. I guess Union engineers get to have that field day after all.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

Mercer and Malloy were goddamn heroes in this latest episode. The humor seems a bit out of place though, as if MacFarlane sold the show as a comedy while he really wants to make a straightforward space opera. I wouldn't be surprised if the tone of the show changes drastically if it survives for a few seasons.
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

I think they went overboard with the 'bumbling idiots' aspect but other than that I think it was a pretty solid episode, and nice look into Krill culture and why they're essentially at war with the Union.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'