A Neuromancer Movie May Be In The Works

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Jub
Sith Marauder

A Neuromancer Movie May Be In The Works

Post by Jub »

Link to the Source
EpicStream wrote: For years, fans have been waiting for a film adaptation of William Gibson's classic cyberpunk novel Neuromancer, and there have been multiple attempts to get it into the big screen, and now, there's another one planned, and Deadpool director Tim Miller is attached to direct it.

Tim Miller, who helmed the first Deadpool film and then famously dropped out of the sequel, is on board to direct an adaptation of Gibson's 1984 cyberpunk novel, Deadline reports.

There's still no writer attached for the project but Miller has a lot of time to find one since his plan is to make a Terminator film with James Cameron first, then start working on Neuromancer.

Simon Kinberg, who worked with the Deadpool director and is helming the new X-Men film, is set to produce the cyberpunk film.

This is definitely one of the best Cyberpunk books I've read, and it reminded me a lot of Kill Bill and The Matrix. Hopefully, they won't mess this one up.

Here's the plot description of the novel from Deadline:

Case was one of the best console cowboys until he stole from one of his employers, who in turn damaged his nervous system so that he cannot access cyberspace anymore. Broke and destroying himself, Case is contacted by Molly, a heavily modified razorgirl, to work for a shadowy colonel who needs a cyberspace cowboy for a secret mission. The employer fixes Case’s damaged brain, but implants a slow dissolving poison to make sure the cyberspace wiz does his bidding, in attempting to abduct a perverse psychopath who is able to create holograms with the force of his mind.

This project is still on its early stages, so there's a chance that the project will be cancelled.
Here's hoping it doesn't end up as vaporware.
Khaat
Jedi Master

Re: A Neuromancer Movie May Be In The Works

Post by Khaat »

I want to see this one done right. But they'll scale back Case's drugs, the sex, and Molly's eyes.

Sadly, I doubt it would be successful enough to rate the full Molly Millions trilogy (Neuromancer/Count Zero/Mona Lisa Overdrive, for those unfamiliar).
Rule #1: Believe the autocrat. He means what he says.
Rule #2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule #3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule #4: Be outraged.
Rule #5: Don’t make compromises.
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

Technically it's a quadrilogy if you count her roll in Johnny Mnemonic. Though I don't expect that one is in line for a remake with her character correctly portrayed at the moment.
Last edited by Jub on 2017-08-10 11:54am, edited 1 time in total.
Khaat
Jedi Master

Post by Khaat »

Johnny Mnemonic was a short story, the others were novels.
Sprawl trilogy: Neuromancer, Count Zero, Mona Lisa Overdrive
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Molly_Millions
[edit: added wiki thing]
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

In spite of what my awful spelling may have indicated, I am aware of that. However, it's also the only one of the stories she features in to have an existing adaptation. So in my mind, it ought to stand among the novels in terms of importance.
Khaat
Jedi Master

Post by Khaat »

Well, Neuromancer does have her mention Johnny to Case at one point (I think they've just paid to have Case's nervous system repaired and he's recovering - and finding out that they added blockers for most of his favorite recreational drugs.)

Holy crap, I haven't read those books in 20 years....
Adam Reynolds
Jedi Council Member

Post by Adam Reynolds »

That would be interesting to see. Hopefully with the director of Deadpool they give it a proper R rating instead of sanitizing it.

In other cyberpunk film news, Altered Carbon is getting a Netflix series and a new Duncan Jones film Mute is also appearing on Netflix.