Stargate Origins... a prequel series - wait, what?!

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

tezunegari
Jedi Knight

Stargate Origins... a prequel series - wait, what?!

Post by tezunegari »

This year the Stargate franchise has its 20th Anniversary.
So MGM released a teaser trailer for its new show and streaming service Stargate Command.

It's a prequel... showing how Paul Langford found the iconic ring.

I'm not really sure this can actually work without either the story being completely unrelated to the existing shows or changing a lot of the Stargate lore.

So far I'll give it the benefit of doubt... but a reimaging like Battlestar Galactica would be a better idea.
"Bring your thousands, I have my axe."
"Bring your cannons, I have my armor."
"Bring your mighty... I am my own champion."
Cue Unit-01 ramming half the Lance of Longinus down Adam's head and a bemused Gendo, "Wrong end, son."
Ikari Gendo, NGE Fanfiction "Standing Tall"
Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Re: Stargate Origins... a prequel series - wait, what?!

Post by Iroscato »

10 episodes, each at 10 minutes long. That's uh...a novel way of structuring it. I'm mildly curious, but I'm hoping this just acts as a jumping-off point for a fullblooded new series at some point. I'd like to see the alternate timeline continued into the late 2010's and onward.
Yeah, I've always taken the subtext of the Birther movement to be, "The rules don't count here! This is different! HE'S BLACK! BLACK, I SAY! ARE YOU ALL BLIND!?

- Raw Shark

Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent.

- SirNitram (RIP)
ray245
Emperor's Hand

Post by ray245 »

If this series fail, this will be the end of stargate
Humans are such funny creatures. We are selfish about selflessness, yet we can love something so much that we can hate something.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

ray245 wrote: 2017-07-21 06:05pm If this series fail, this will be the end of stargate
Of this continuity, probably yes.

Its big enough that it'll probably get a full-on reboot in a couple of decades or so, though.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
Khaat
Jedi Master

Post by Khaat »

Ten episodes at 10 minutes isn't even feature length chop-salad. And unless they run with something akin to Torment of Tantalus, I'm not sure what, short of bedtime stories to the girl from her father's notes (preceding the actual discovery of the ring) they could be spinning. The stories would of course turn out to be stranded goa'uld (or tok'ra) tales....

Or is this the "sequels to the film" we heard about a year ago? http://bbs.stardestroyer.net/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=165139
Rule #1: Believe the autocrat. He means what he says.
Rule #2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule #3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule #4: Be outraged.
Rule #5: Don’t make compromises.
biostem
Jedi Master

Post by biostem »

It could be a good mini-series, if they focus on the intrigue and mystery regarding the Stargate, without forcing in too much action. Keep things in the 19th century, and perhaps dig through the lore a bit more...
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

biostem wrote: 2017-07-21 07:28pm It could be a good mini-series, if they focus on the intrigue and mystery regarding the Stargate, without forcing in too much action. Keep things in the 19th century, and perhaps dig through the lore a bit more...
wasn't the gate discovered in the early 20th century (in 1920s IIRC).
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
biostem
Jedi Master

Post by biostem »

Lord Revan wrote: 2017-07-21 09:06pm
biostem wrote: 2017-07-21 07:28pm It could be a good mini-series, if they focus on the intrigue and mystery regarding the Stargate, without forcing in too much action. Keep things in the 19th century, and perhaps dig through the lore a bit more...
My bad - you are correct. For some reason, I was thinking the late 1800s...
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

biostem wrote: 2017-07-22 01:31am
Lord Revan wrote: 2017-07-21 09:06pm
My bad - you are correct. For some reason, I was thinking the late 1800s...
no worries we all make mistakes.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
PREDATOR490
Jedi Council Member

Post by PREDATOR490 »

This is going to be shit.

A mini-series like Torchwood or mini-movie like nBSG would make sense but 10 mins is extremely short. Is that excluding intro and credits ?

This feels like a really cheap pilot way of testing the waters for the Stargate franchise. I fully expect this is the precursor to attempting to reboot the franchise.

I really doubt this is going to stick to the series continuity which gives them a bit of latitude to play with new lore for the new continuity. That said, even that latitude is fairly limited when a prequel is going to be stuck honouring the film. This is going to be the new film continuity of Torment of Tantalus or off-world activation of the Stargate resulting in some alien coming to Earth once it is unburied ?
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

I hope this is testing for a reboot, if only because I've been holding out for one for ages.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
FedRebel
Jedi Master

Post by FedRebel »

In SG1 it was mentioned that the Russians confiscated the Giza DHD from the Nazi's

Maybe the story would be a race to beat the Nazi's to uncovering the secrets of the "doorway to heaven"

perhaps also establish a European gate into the lore (to explain the post Giza Rebellion activity.)