Pacific Rim 2 Jaegers shown

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Q99
Jedi Council Member

Pacific Rim 2 Jaegers shown

Post by Q99 »

We have new info on Pacific Rim 2!

The Three Jaegers:

Gipsy Avenger

Bracer Phoenix

Saber Athena

Judging by the info in the last two pics, they're out of a total Jaeger fleet of 7 (or at least 7 when completed), and Bracer is a Mark 5 like Striker was, while Athena and Avenger are Mark 6. Leading me to wonder if maybe construction or at least design work on Bracer might've begun before the program was shut down.
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Re: Pacific Rim 2 Jaegers shown

Post by Tsyroc »

I'm curious as to why they built more jaegers after the end of the first movie. I mean, it makes sense, just in case.

I guess the failure of the wall and the jaegers getting it done, at least temporarily, got the governments on board to build some more jaegers as a fail safe.

Looking forward to this movie.

The next designs that would be cool to see would be some more Kaijus. :D
By the pricking of my thumb,
Something wicked this way comes.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
biostem
Jedi Master

Post by biostem »

Tsyroc wrote: 2017-07-13 12:05pm I'm curious as to why they built more jaegers after the end of the first movie. I mean, it makes sense, just in case.

I guess the failure of the wall and the jaegers getting it done, at least temporarily, got the governments on board to build some more jaegers as a fail safe.

Well, if the title is anything to go on, perhaps those that created the kaiju had been depositing more of them on the ocean floor, to lie in waiting, in the event of an emergency? Or maybe a second rift opened up? If they can build kaiju that quickly, perhaps they can rebuild the destroyed facility quickly, too?
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

My guessing is they figured the aliens were likely to come back.

Consider
#1 - This wasn't there first attempt to take over earth. The first time was during the time of the Dinosaurs, apparently.
#2 - We've apparently done most of the terraforming work for them
#3 - We nuked them. That might have pissed them off.
#4 - It's possible they got information form the humans that drifted with the Kaiju brains. i.e That Earth's production capabilities are not up to the aliens. If the aliens rebuilt, upped production, and then reinvaded with better security on 'the rift', then Earth really can't stop them easily.

I'd consider the collapse of the Rift to be nothing more then a lul in hostilities. Until we can launch a counter invasion of them using our own technology (i.e open our own rift), then the aliens have the advantage. You have to have a powerful standing army to hold off another invasion until you find a way to counter-strike them at will.

Then you can force a peace/ceasefire.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
Q99
Jedi Council Member

Post by Q99 »

A second Rift seems likely. It may also that we detected a new Rift starting to form and thus had warning.

Going by the apparent build number (7), not as much as the original set (there were 20+), but a significant force nonetheless, enough to serve as a front line.
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

I'm disappointed that they kept the "Gypsy" part of the name. Otherwise, they look like neat giant fighting bots.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Khaat
Jedi Master

Post by Khaat »

I'd be impressed if they took the technology and made it useful in a non-combat way on-screen: human-scale power-armored first-responders plucking folks from the rubble at the Jaegers' feet, giant spider-cranes (re)building skyscrapers, etc.

But giant robots punching kaiju will do.
Going by the apparent build number (7), not as much as the original set (there were 20+), but a significant force nonetheless, enough to serve as a front line.
The wiki states they were building Jaegers at 5+ a year during the war (actually, the count is off, and short of the 20 that were built over ~five years).

I could certainly understand the short-sighted world leadership deciding "but you closed the rift, why would we need more Jaegers?", so 7 over a few years following as a "throw them a bone" move sounds about right. Also wouldn't be surprised if the new Jaegers are a PR stunt and get their asses handed to them in their first engagements. And the pilots will have missed the "rock star" status window: the originals were heroes for what they did, these new guys... "eh".

Newt (and Gottleib)'s gonna be either the bad guy, or central to working out the counter-offensive. Depends on how much got put into his head during his drift.
Rule #1: Believe the autocrat. He means what he says.
Rule #2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule #3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule #4: Be outraged.
Rule #5: Don’t make compromises.
biostem
Jedi Master

Post by biostem »

khaat wrote:I'd be impressed if they took the technology and made it useful in a non-combat way on-screen: human-scale power-armored first-responders plucking folks from the rubble at the Jaegers' feet, giant spider-cranes (re)building skyscrapers, etc.
I would love to see that, and given how bits of kaiju were entering the black market, I could see Jaeger tech making its way into the private sector as well.
Sidewinder
Sith Acolyte

Post by Sidewinder »

Anyone remember the "sex scene" between Sylvester Stallone and Sandra Bullock's characters in 'Demolition Man', using technology to substitute for physical intimacy and circumvent the dangers of sexually transmitted disease?

I wouldn't be surprised if the link technology from the Jaegers gets used for such a base reason.
Please do not make Americans fight giant monsters.

Those gun nuts do not understand the meaning of "overkill," and will simply use weapon after weapon of mass destruction (WMD) until the monster is dead, or until they run out of weapons.

They have more WMD than there are monsters for us to fight. (More insanity here.)
Q99
Jedi Council Member

Post by Q99 »

Khaat wrote: 2017-07-14 10:34am The wiki states they were building Jaegers at 5+ a year during the war (actually, the count is off, and short of the 20 that were built over ~five years).

I could certainly understand the short-sighted world leadership deciding "but you closed the rift, why would we need more Jaegers?", so 7 over a few years following as a "throw them a bone" move sounds about right. Also wouldn't be surprised if the new Jaegers are a PR stunt and get their asses handed to them in their first engagements. And the pilots will have missed the "rock star" status window: the originals were heroes for what they did, these new guys... "eh".

Newt (and Gottleib)'s gonna be either the bad guy, or central to working out the counter-offensive. Depends on how much got put into his head during his drift.
I imagine 7 is the 'just in case,' force with the idea it'd buy time for others to be made.

And I imagine they're still rock stars, just those 'newbies who'll never live up to the originals!'. The OG may as well be the Beatles, Madonna, etc. while the new ones are maybe One Direction.
Q99
Jedi Council Member

Post by Q99 »

GoJaeger drops blueprints for two more mechs, clear blueprints for all 5, plus we get a teaser/pilot recruitment ad that includes a lineup of the full 7 Jaeger fleet!

Titan Redeemer, with it's f-off mace, and Guardian Bravo, whom I suspect is Canadian, are the two new known ones!

Oh, and GLaDOS is still working for the PPDC ^^
tezunegari
Jedi Knight

Post by tezunegari »

Huh, is it just me or did the video on GoJaeger imply that the Jaegers Mk7s are controlled by a single pilot?
"Bring your thousands, I have my axe."
"Bring your cannons, I have my armor."
"Bring your mighty... I am my own champion."
Cue Unit-01 ramming half the Lance of Longinus down Adam's head and a bemused Gendo, "Wrong end, son."
Ikari Gendo, NGE Fanfiction "Standing Tall"
Q99
Jedi Council Member

Post by Q99 »

tezunegari wrote: 2017-07-21 05:53pm Huh, is it just me or did the video on GoJaeger imply that the Jaegers Mk7s are controlled by a single pilot?
A number of people thought so, but DeKnight has confirmed it's still a two-pilot with drift system.

I'm curious if the Jaegers are still from specific countries.... Guardian Bravo looks Canadian, what with the white and red color scheme in the figures.
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

Q99 wrote: 2017-07-22 05:30amI'm curious if the Jaegers are still from specific countries.... Guardian Bravo looks Canadian, what with the white and red color scheme in the figures.
Probably. The national Jaeger thing seemed to be a popular concept.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Silver Jedi
Padawan Learner

Post by Silver Jedi »

I wonder how fans would respond if they dropped the Kaiju entirely and ran with the national Jagers idea in a sort of stealth reboot of Robot Jox.
Not a n00b, just a lurker

108th post on Wed Jun 28, 2006 A Whoop!

200th post on Fri Feb 3, 2012 Six months shy of a decade!
Q99
Jedi Council Member

Post by Q99 »

Silver Jedi wrote: 2017-07-25 10:41pm I wonder how fans would respond if they dropped the Kaiju entirely and ran with the national Jagers idea in a sort of stealth reboot of Robot Jox.
Hah, I do know there's a lot of Kaiju fans so there'd be objections, but that'd still be super fun in it's own way ^^
Silver Jedi
Padawan Learner

Post by Silver Jedi »

Q99 wrote: 2017-07-26 08:02am
Silver Jedi wrote: 2017-07-25 10:41pm I wonder how fans would respond if they dropped the Kaiju entirely and ran with the national Jagers idea in a sort of stealth reboot of Robot Jox.
Hah, I do know there's a lot of Kaiju fans so there'd be objections, but that'd still be super fun in it's own way ^^
I suppose you could get the kaiju back in the third act. Maybe the Jager Jox decide to defy their national leadership and fight the newly returned kaiju together.
Not a n00b, just a lurker

108th post on Wed Jun 28, 2006 A Whoop!

200th post on Fri Feb 3, 2012 Six months shy of a decade!
Q99
Jedi Council Member

Post by Q99 »

Honestly it's pretty off-message with the first one, giving the 'coming together' themes, but it'd be a fun AU and/or something I'd encourage someone else making.
Cykeisme
Jedi Council Member

Post by Cykeisme »

Tsyroc wrote: 2017-07-13 12:05pm I'm curious as to why they built more jaegers after the end of the first movie. I mean, it makes sense, just in case.

From what we see from the first movie, when the original Jaegers were built, they were meant as a countermeasure to what the governments thought (understandably) were what were essentially extra-dimensional wild animals randomly rampaging around our cities, coming through the Breach.

However, by the end of the movie, the authorities now understand that those were targeted attacks performed by what are essentially military units deployed by an intelligent alien civilization, and that the Breach is likely not a random natural occurrence, but probably engineered by the hostile otherworldly force.

So despite the need for rebuilding destroyed infrastructure, it does seem prudent to direct a portion of the world's resources toward preparations for a possible resurgence of hostilities, which, judging by what we know about the sequel, is indeed what happens.
"..history has shown the best defense against heavy cavalry are pikemen, so aircraft should mount lances on their noses and fly in tight squares to fend off bombers". - RedImperator

"ha ha, raping puppies is FUN!" - Johonebesus

"It would just be Unicron with pew pew instead of nom nom". - Vendetta, explaining his justified disinterest in the idea of the movie Allspark affecting the Death Star
Q99
Jedi Council Member

Post by Q99 »

Yea. "We know they're smart. We know they constructed the breach. We don't know how long that'll take to be an issue. Do we really think it's a good idea to wait until another kaiju comes through...?"
Q99
Jedi Council Member

Post by Q99 »

The Trailer has dropped!

We get to see our Jaegers, our Kaiju, our pilots, Marshal Mako (!), and snippets of the world.
JLTucker
BANNED

Post by JLTucker »

The good news is that Del Toro did not direct and Charlie Hunnam is not starring. The bad news is that it looks like utter trash, just like the first one. And Boyega needs to go away. Seriously. The weakest link in SW appears to be in everything, lately.
Bedlam
Jedi Master

Post by Bedlam »

Looks like there's quite a bit of Jaeger on Jaeger action, although that might just be the trailer amplifying certain scenes.
biostem
Jedi Master

Post by biostem »

Q99 wrote: 2017-10-06 08:30pm The Trailer has dropped!

We get to see our Jaegers, our Kaiju, our pilots, Marshal Mako (!), and snippets of the world.
Hmm... I wonder how the Jaeger vs Jaeger fights factor into the storyline... Mercs? Rival governments? Maybe Pentecost Jr convinces a few other pilots to steal their Jaegers and actually fight the kaiju? What if the story revolves around them rebelling against various government groups who want to perpetuate the constant kaiju threat, in order to maintain marshal law and their power?

There's a bit at the very beginning that looks like a jaeger destroying aircraft, (you can see it swiping at the ground). There's also a scene with a jaeger pilot wielding an AR... so perhaps there are smaller human-sized kaiju too?

We also see Pentecost Jr with a female copilot at one point, and a male one in other scenes...
Last edited by biostem on 2017-10-06 09:40pm, edited 1 time in total.
Q99
Jedi Council Member

Post by Q99 »

There's so many questions. Maybe it's companies/governments who think they can take advantage of the Kaiju or something, or who want to take over the Kaiju killing business (since if they're the only one with Jaegers, they *have* to get all funding), or... well, insufficient info!

Plus we've got the mini-Jaeger coming out of the warehouse at one point.