Let's talk about the Recent(past year or so) WH40K fluff updates. Spoilers all

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Re: Let's talk about the Recent(past year or so) WH40K fluff updates. Spoilers all

Postby NecronLord » 2017-05-20 10:12am

Their purposes were often assigned before the chaos gods put them on their respective planets. And if there's one thing apparent in the heresy, the Wolf puppies

The doctrine the wolf puppies reject is Guilliman's, not the Emperor's.

That said, the most relevant thing is that every Fenrisian has a superstitious hatred and fear (except they can know no fear!) of sorcery, so they can be relied on to interact with corrupted marines without trouble. The wolves also don't ask questions, something Horus exploits when he changes their retrieve order on Magnus to 'exterminate' - most other legions, going by the early Heresy Books, would have had some soul-searching about that. The wolves just open fire the moment they enter orbit.

I'm also not sure about them winning 2/3 conflicts against other legions:

Night of the Wolf vs Angron - Tactical victory, but symbolic loss, where the Wolf puppies managed to defeat the War Hounds/World Eaters, until Angron overcame Russ and was about to kill him. I really wouldn't know where to put that one.

We see in Corax that when Russ is wounded the entire Spulf legion goes into mourning and retreat. If Angron had taken Russ's head, they would have been casting down their weapons in despair (which they do until Corax beats sense into them in Corax, just from Russ being wounded) which would have easily let the World Eaters butcher them.

If that battle had continued to the bitter end, the wolves would have been destroyed.
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth

The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

Re: Let's talk about the Recent(past year or so) WH40K fluff updates. Spoilers all

Postby The Grim Squeaker » 2017-05-20 01:33pm

Alkaloid wrote:
Executioners. i.e to wipe out other rogue Primarchs or even chapters.
(Their track record isn't as good as the Lunar Wolves, but at least they tried hard :))

Aren't they on 2 out of 3? not terrible odds. Is is there some other book that tells us the Lunar Wolves did in the two missing chapters?

They failed with the 1k sons, and we don't know how much of a role they had with the 2 missing legions. (But that the recruits from said legions may have ended up in the Ultramarines, and that other legions were involved).

Horus on the other hand, wiped out 70-90% of 5 legions :P
Photography
Genius is always allowed some leeway, once the hammer has been pried from its hands and the blood has been cleaned up.
To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often.

Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Postby Eternal_Freedom » 2017-05-20 03:51pm

Whether the Wolves were intended as executioners originally seems at odds with the existence of the later Minotaurs chapter, who exist purely to fight other Space Marines (their Chapter Tactics even gives them Preferred Enemy: Space Marines).
"I could be bounded in a nutshell and count myself a king of infinite space, were it not that I have bad dreams" - Hamlet

“I’ve always thought the Yankees had something to do with it.” - Confederate General George Pickett, on being asked why his charge at Ghettysburg failed

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.

Imperial Overlord
Emperor's Hand

Postby Imperial Overlord » 2017-05-20 04:18pm

Eternal_Freedom wrote:Whether the Wolves were intended as executioners originally seems at odds with the existence of the later Minotaurs chapter, who exist purely to fight other Space Marines (their Chapter Tactics even gives them Preferred Enemy: Space Marines).

The Space Wolves are the Emperor's dogs and will tell the High Lords of Terra to fuck off if they don't like their orders. That's why the Minotaurs (who are nicely obedient) exist.
The Excellent Prismatic Spray. For when you absolutely, positively must kill a motherfucker. Accept no substitutions. Contact a magician of the later Aeons for details. Some conditions may apply.

Librium Arcana

NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Postby NecronLord » 2017-05-20 04:19pm

Yeah, the Minotaurs are the same thing for the High Lords, essentially.
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth

Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Postby Eternal_Freedom » 2017-05-20 04:46pm

Fair point.
"I could be bounded in a nutshell and count myself a king of infinite space, were it not that I have bad dreams" - Hamlet

“I’ve always thought the Yankees had something to do with it.” - Confederate General George Pickett, on being asked why his charge at Ghettysburg failed

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.

Bedlam
Jedi Master

Postby Bedlam » 2017-05-20 05:47pm

I think there's some difference between the 30K Space Wolves legion and the 40K Space Wolves Chapter.

The original legion seemed to play at being barbarians for the psychological impact I.e. the leather masks where as at some point over the 10 thousand years they bought into their own advertising and became the full space Vikings they appear today.

Is there anything recent that states the Space Wolves still consider themselves the other space marines executioners? (I must admit I'm about 4 editions behind at this point and most of my up to date reading is from the Horus Heresy novels).

Imperial Overlord
Emperor's Hand

Postby Imperial Overlord » 2017-05-22 05:39pm

It's not quite playing at being barbarians, it's more hiding their sophistication behind their "barbarian" customs and traditions. Guys who wear war paint and furs and like noisy drinking parties couldn't possibly be able master technical skills or sophisticated tactics right?
The Excellent Prismatic Spray. For when you absolutely, positively must kill a motherfucker. Accept no substitutions. Contact a magician of the later Aeons for details. Some conditions may apply.

Librium Arcana

Alkaloid
Jedi Master

Postby Alkaloid » 2017-06-03 04:23am

Well, Horus and fully half the space marines in existence managed to account for most of 3 and a bit of the rest. Really, once the rest of the galaxy realised they were at war with them their performance went entirely to pot.

Actually, thinking about it Horus' plan for the heresy was terrible. It entirely revolved around a surprise attack involving most of his forces against a relatively small portion of his enemies, then hoping that he could storm the most heavily fortified position in existence before the enemy he knew was at his back arrived.

The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

Postby The Grim Squeaker » 2017-06-03 08:47am

Alkaloid wrote:

Well, Horus and fully half the space marines in existence managed to account for most of 3 and a bit of the rest. Really, once the rest of the galaxy realised they were at war with them their performance went entirely to pot.

Actually, thinking about it Horus' plan for the heresy was terrible. It entirely revolved around a surprise attack involving most of his forces against a relatively small portion of his enemies, then hoping that he could storm the most heavily fortified position in existence before the enemy he knew was at his back arrived.

Well, it almost worked.
He thought he could convinve additional legions (e.g. the White scars especially, and Fulgrim had promised him that Ferrus Manus would join them).
He still came within an inch of killing the Emperor, and had the palace under siege.
Photography
Genius is always allowed some leeway, once the hammer has been pried from its hands and the blood has been cleaned up.
To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often.

Alkaloid
Jedi Master

Postby Alkaloid » 2017-06-13 04:23am

Starting a war relying on an army you don't actually have isn't much better though, is it?

Return to “Science Fiction”