Doctor Who Season 10/36: "Knock Knock".

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

How do you rate this episode?

No votes
50%
25%
13%
13%

Total votes: 8

The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Doctor Who Season 10/36: "Knock Knock".

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Seriously? No thread yet? :)

Anyway, though I missed the start of it, I quite enjoyed this one, barring one major complaint about the ending. Yes, the pacing was again a little uneven, and some of the plot points felt either predictable or random, but the haunted house atmosphere was quite well-done, it was well-acted, and Spoiler
the parallels between the landlord and the Doctor with his vault were a reasonably effective way to tie an otherwise seemingly stand-alone episode into the season arc.

Baldy has been growing on me as a recurring character as well. :wink:

Not sure if they were trying to be ambiguous about Bill's sexuality, with her saying that she usually goes for girls.

My big complain is the resolution of the monster, with wooden girl more or less committing suicide/killing her son. Aside from seeming needlessly dark for the sake of dark, it also fits a recurring theme I've noticed in the Moffat era of portraying suicide in a somewhat positive light, which I find rather off-putting.

That one major complaint aside, its probably the best episode I've seen since "Heaven Sent" (which had the misfortune of being in the middle of a shitty three-parter), and after "Heaven Sent", probably the best since "Day of the Doctor" three and a half years ago.

As to what's in the vault, I'd thought it was the Master (though it seems so obvious that I more than half-expect a bait and switch), but now, with the connection to this episode, I wonder if its some relation of the Doctor's. Any evil family in his past?
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Re: Doctor Who Season 10/36: "Knock Knock".

Post by Solauren »

my question
Spoiler
Where is that massive 'Wood lice' infection going to go?
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
Bedlam
Jedi Master

Post by Bedlam »

Spoiler
I think this whole thread should be marked as spoilers rather than having each post be in spoiler tags.

It seemed a rather generic haunted house story to me. I'm not too keen on all the students being reconstituted at the end, I don't suppose there was really a reason to kill them but it just seemed to suddenly crank back the horror.

I'd be very surprised if the resident of the vault isn't the master, although I'm not sure which one. I suppose they might throw us a plot twist but it seems the most likely answer. Certainly in his first appearance in the new series the Doctor planed to lock him in the TARDIS to stop him terrorising the universe.
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

Spoiler
I too believe that it is Missy\Master. The vault has that Gallifreyan vibe to it. The piano player only resumed playing after the Doctor mentioned that there were deaths in the story.

I find that Nardole is too attached to watching over the vault. Maybe he'll be tricked into releasing the person in it? If so, I don't see him lasting long. He'll definitely be dead by season's end
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!
Parallax
Jedi Knight

Post by Parallax »

I seem to recall when UNIT imprisoned the original Master. He was running the prison in no time.
B5B7
Jedi Knight

Post by B5B7 »

To me, this is the weakest episode of the current season. Early on when Bill joked about the time lords, this fitted what I liked about her from the other episodes. But during the main story she seemed to be a bit flat. The story didn't go anywhere, with a pointless resolution in the form of a virtual reversal with the "dead" students being brought back. Also, we have the concept of the twenty year cycle - 1977, 1997, 2017, yet there was mention of it being seventy years since the events started [(IIRC) or was the boy ten when he brought in the insects and he is seventy now?].

Also, continuing the "eating theme" it seems from the trailer that the next episode will be their spacesuits "eating" the characters.
TVWP: "Janeway says archly, "Sometimes it's the female of the species that initiates mating." Is the female of the species trying to initiate mating now? Janeway accepts Paris's apology and tells him she's putting him in for a commendation. The salamander sex was that good."
"Not bad - for a human"-Bishop to Ripley
GALACTIC DOMINATION Empire Board Game visit link below:
GALACTIC DOMINATION
madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Post by madd0ct0r »

landlord was seventy, so presumbly nine or ten when the thing started.

As for what happens to the mass of woodlice now? Given it was filmed in Cardiff, I'm willing to bet Seagulls, those noble defenders of humanity, swallowed the problem. I was joking with the wife that the only reason for the resurrection was to avoid PTSD Bill who'd seen all her friends and her mum die.

edit, although that last bit is coming...
"Aid, trade, green technology and peace." - Hans Rosling.
"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee