The Handmaid's Tale (On Hulu)

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

The Handmaid's Tale (On Hulu)

Post by FaxModem1 »

Hulu is releasing a new original series based on Margaret Atwood's novel, The Handmaid's Tale. So far, only four episodes are out.

So far, I'm enjoying the series, and the way it's showing us in flashbacks how the US slowly turned into Gilead. They've already made a huge change from the book, in that people of other races are not being 'displaced' out of Gilead. Take that as you will.

Why is this in OSF and not Off-Topic? Because fuck Margaret Atwood and her distaste for being considered a science fiction writer, she wrote a scifi book, and this is a scifi series, so that's where this thread goes.
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Re: The Handmaid's Tale (On Hulu)

Post by Ralin »

How is it sci-fi other than by virtue of existing in a dystopian future where...bad things explainable by science have happened?
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

Ralin wrote:How is it sci-fi other than by virtue of existing in a dystopian future where...bad things explainable by science have happened?
Because I consider speculative and dystopian fiction under the science fiction umbrella, Atwood does not.
Margaret Atwood wrote: "Science fiction has monsters and spaceships; speculative fiction could really happen."
Terralthra
Requiescat in Pace

Post by Terralthra »

"It takes place in the future" is a really, really poor metric for "science fiction." There is nothing in her depiction of Gilead that is beyond the technological or scientific capabilities of the time she wrote the book. The term "speculative fiction" is better in that (and other) respects. The idea that "speculative fiction" is under the umbrella of scifi is exactly backwards. Specfic is a larger group, of which scifi is a subset.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Oryx and Crake, on the other hand, is very clearly science fiction, being utterly dependent on advanced bio-science for the scenario in the book. She writes science fiction. It's hypocritical of her to refuse to acknowledge that.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Whether she is writing SciFi or not is for another discussion. Let's continue with the direction of the show at hand.

I have yet to catch the series myself, since I don't have Hulu access. What other changes have you noticed from the book and/or the last film?
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

Offred/June seems a bit more intelligent in the series than she did in the book. Offred seemed to accept everything that hit her in the novel, and didn't really think about the deeper implications of a lot of her situation. Both the movie and the TV show give her a literary job (librarian in the film, book editor in the series), and flesh her out as a person.

We're also seeing that the strong support of faith and values came about as a combination of fertile women and healthy births becoming more and more rare, leading to entire crowds praying at hospitals for it to turn out okay. This means there is a large population already in support of faith based decision making.

We also see from the Commander's viewpoint a little. The international community is frowning at Gilead, which is using it's economic power to try and keep everyone from interfering in their business.
Zor
Sith Acolyte

Post by Zor »

FaxModem1 wrote:
Ralin wrote:How is it sci-fi other than by virtue of existing in a dystopian future where...bad things explainable by science have happened?
Because I consider speculative and dystopian fiction under the science fiction umbrella, Atwood does not.
Margaret Atwood wrote: "Science fiction has monsters and spaceships; speculative fiction could really happen."
That's weird. Generally when I see speculative fiction it's displayed as the broader genre that encompasses science fiction and fantasy. In any case assuming that no technological advances happens is silly unless you assert that we're on the very limits of what technology can do (which is setting yourself up for failure).

Zor
HAIL ZOR! WE'LL BLOW UP THE OCEAN!
Heros of Cybertron-HAB-Keeper of the Vicious pit of Allosauruses-King Leighton-I, United Kingdom of Zoria: SD.net World/Tsar Mikhail-I of the Red Tsardom: SD.net Kingdoms
WHEN ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE ON EARTH, ALL EARTH BREAKS LOOSE ON HELL
Terran Sphere
The Art of Zor
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

FaxModem1 wrote:Offred/June seems a bit more intelligent in the series than she did in the book. Offred seemed to accept everything that hit her in the novel, and didn't really think about the deeper implications of a lot of her situation. Both the movie and the TV show give her a literary job (librarian in the film, book editor in the series), and flesh her out as a person.

We're also seeing that the strong support of faith and values came about as a combination of fertile women and healthy births becoming more and more rare, leading to entire crowds praying at hospitals for it to turn out okay. This means there is a large population already in support of faith based decision making.

We also see from the Commander's viewpoint a little. The international community is frowning at Gilead, which is using it's economic power to try and keep everyone from interfering in their business.
I'm glad that they are coming up with more for the backstory as to how Gilead came about because that was always my issue with the book. I thought the book was good but not worthy of all the hype. I felt the backstory setting up the premise was a little weak considering the change was within Offred's adult life. I think I might have liked it better if how the USA became Gilead wasn't mentioned at all and then it would just have solely been a horror story of a somewhat familiar society based on a fucked up interpretation of the Bible.
By the pricking of my thumb,
Something wicked this way comes.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
General Mung Beans
Jedi Knight
Location: Orange Prefecture, California Sector, America Quadrant, Terra

Post by General Mung Beans »

Tsyroc wrote:
FaxModem1 wrote:Offred/June seems a bit more intelligent in the series than she did in the book. Offred seemed to accept everything that hit her in the novel, and didn't really think about the deeper implications of a lot of her situation. Both the movie and the TV show give her a literary job (librarian in the film, book editor in the series), and flesh her out as a person.

I'm glad that they are coming up with more for the backstory as to how Gilead came about because that was always my issue with the book. I thought the book was good but not worthy of all the hype. I felt the backstory setting up the premise was a little weak considering the change was within Offred's adult life. I think I might have liked it better if how the USA became Gilead wasn't mentioned at all and then it would just have solely been a horror story of a somewhat familiar society based on a fucked up interpretation of the Bible.
Sounds like a country-sized version of Shirley Jackson's "the Lottery".
El Moose Monstero: That would be the winning song at Eurovision. I still say the Moldovans were more fun. And that one about the Apricot Tree.
That said...it is growing on me.
Thanas: It is one of those songs that kinda get stuck in your head so if you hear it several times, you actually grow to like it.
General Zod: It's the musical version of Stockholm syndrome.
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

General Mung Beans wrote:Sounds like a country-sized version of Shirley Jackson's "the Lottery".
Less tradition that came out of nowhere and more of a revolution based on Religious fundamentalism triumphing in a revolution over a secular soceity. The book was written around the time of the Iran revolution, and transcribes it to the not too distant future when all money has become electronic.
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

The latest episode revealed why the rest of the world tolerates Gilead, and it's quite a doozy:

Mexico sends a trade delegation to Gilead, which Gilead desperately needs an agreement with before it's currency falls off a cliff. Spoiler
The thing Gilead is trading that is so valuable? Fertile women, as Mexico hasn't had a child born in six years, and desperately needs children in order to stay alive as a country, whereas Gilead is having children.
So, morality is pushed aside so that countries can continue to function.
Juubi Karakuchi
Jedi Knight

Post by Juubi Karakuchi »

Good news for anyone from the UK or with access to Channel 4

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-enter ... 38106.html

In brief, Channel 4 will be showing the Handmaid's Tale, apparently later this month.