Doctor Who and Eccleston

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Will he come back?

Poll ended at 2017-06-29 08:47am

Yes
7%
No
86%
Other
7%

Total votes: 14

Soontir C'boath
SG-14: Fuck the Medic!
Location: Queens, NYC I DON'T FUCKING CARE IF MANHATTEN IS CONSIDERED NYC!! I'M IN IT ASSHOLE!!!

Doctor Who and Eccleston

Post by Soontir C'boath »

As we know, Moffat will be leaving soon and presumably then, the last of RTD's "henchmen". Eccleston had refused to come back to Who, because he found the working conditions surrounding it to be, though in my own words, deplorable. So with Moffat gone, do you think he would be more open to a return?
I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in his stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Counciler or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate, who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who constantly says: "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I cannot agree with your methods of direct action"; who paternalistically believes he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by a mythical concept of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait for a "more convenient season."
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Re: Doctor Who and Eccleston

Post by Crazedwraith »

I doubt it,

I've heard different reasons why he didn't return for the 50th from just scheduling issues with Thor to wanting a specific director from S1 to do "Day Of The Doctor"

Moffat has show runner might not be the hurdle so much as other behind the scenes people who might still be there?
Tribble
Sith Devotee

Post by Tribble »

If he wouldn't come back even for just a cameo appearance in "Day of the Doctor" I highly doubt he'll come back even if given another opportunity down the road. Too much bad blood, and he seems a bit embarrassed over his performance.
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - The official Troll motto, as stated by Adam Savage
Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Post by Iroscato »

I would've liked to see him team up with Capaldi - they had broadly similar personalities but with key differences, 9 being a soldier freshly out of the war with PTSD, 12 being an older vet who had come to terms with that PTSD and mostly overcome it, but still feeling the aftershocks even centuries later. It could've made for a very interesting dynamic.
Yeah, I've always taken the subtext of the Birther movement to be, "The rules don't count here! This is different! HE'S BLACK! BLACK, I SAY! ARE YOU ALL BLIND!?

- Raw Shark

Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent.

- SirNitram (RIP)
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

From the SFDebris review of Day of the Doctor, he was open to returning for the 50th. anniversary, but it fell through because he and Moffat disagreed on the choice of director (Eccleston wanted a particular guy he'd liked from when he was on the show, but he hadn't worked on Who in a long time and they picked someone else, apparently).

But if I saw Capaldi up against any one other Doctor, I'd probably pick Eight. Partly because of the contrast between warm, innocent-seeming Eight and callous, crotchety Twelve, and partly because Eight deserves more screen-time.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
jwl
Jedi Master

Post by jwl »

I don't think the reason he didn't do the 50th had anything to do with the production team at the time. But if you are going by RTD's "henchmen", well, Murray Gold is showing no signs of leaving at least.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Thank God for that. Murray Gold has been a beacon of consistent excellence throughout the new series.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Post by Iroscato »

The Romulan Republic wrote:Thank God for that. Murray Gold has been a beacon of consistent excellence throughout the new series.
Absolutely. His work has been consistently stunning - each of his "Doctor themes" have been brilliant, and this is a personal fave of mine for sheer feels;

Yeah, I've always taken the subtext of the Birther movement to be, "The rules don't count here! This is different! HE'S BLACK! BLACK, I SAY! ARE YOU ALL BLIND!?

- Raw Shark

Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent.

- SirNitram (RIP)
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Yes. Although I do feel that he's been off his game lately- not a lot of new memorable pieces. But I suspect that's likely at least partly due to the rut the show is in, and the long gaps between episodes/seasons. Overall, his work for the new series has been astounding.