Doctor Who S36E1 "The Pilot" [Spoilers]

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

How do you rate "The Plot"

5 - "Gallifrey Stands!"
9%
4 - "We’re all stories, in the end… just make it a good one, eh?"
48%
3 - "There should be a suspended-animation chamber for the pilot right here."
26%
2 - "The universe is big. It’s vast and complicated and ridiculous."
9%
1 - "There are some corners of the universe which have bred the most terrible things."
9%

Total votes: 23

NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Doctor Who S36E1 "The Pilot" [Spoilers]

Post by NecronLord »

Discussion thread in the old tradition for Doctor Who!
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
Bedlam
Jedi Master

Re: Doctor Who S36E1 "The Pilot" [Spoilers]

Post by Bedlam »

Well I certainly didn't expect an appearance by the Movellians, silver dreadlocks and all.
SpottedKitty
Jedi Master

Post by SpottedKitty »

Some interesting chemistry already between these two. Any guesses what's in the vault, and why the Doctor has to keep an eye on it? I don't think we got any actual clues this week.
“Despite rumor, Death isn't cruel — merely terribly, terribly good at his job.”
Terry Pratchett, Sourcery
Bedlam
Jedi Master

Post by Bedlam »

SpottedKitty wrote:Some interesting chemistry already between these two. Any guesses what's in the vault, and why the Doctor has to keep an eye on it? I don't think we got any actual clues this week.
I'm going to guess it's going to stretch out over the series, although from the trailers we've seen it doesn't look like much of it's going to be based on present day earth. The only thing I can think of like it in the past is the Hand of Omega which was kept on earth for a bit.

There's also the issue of Bill's mother, I assume it means that she's been mistaken for her other mother after travelling back in time rather than her being her own mother although I suppose it is possible that she meets her own mother in the future and the takes her own infant self back to earth to setup her past, she might not even be human in that case.

I'm wondering about Nardol, I saw some potential but it doesn't look like they're going to do much with him, it doesn't even seem like he's going to be in the next episode.
SpottedKitty
Jedi Master

Post by SpottedKitty »

Bedlam wrote:There's also the issue of Bill's mother, I assume it means that she's been mistaken for her other mother after travelling back in time rather than her being her own mother
Yes, I immediately wondered about a "By Your Bootstraps" scenario. Do we get a good look at her feet at any point...? :wink:
Bedlam wrote:I'm wondering about Nardol, I saw some potential but it doesn't look like they're going to do much with him, it doesn't even seem like he's going to be in the next episode.
Wouldn't bother me if he just faded from view, he was all right in the Christmas Special, but I don't think I could take a full season of him.
Parallax
Jedi Knight

Post by Parallax »

Well, that was better than I expected. I love the idea of The Doctor being a University lecturer and the touches in his office were great, from the pen holder being full of old sonics to the photo of Susan. (And I do wish they'd revisit Susan at some point, I know they did in the novels but ... meh.). I wish I had an office like that one.
I was extremely dubious about Bill, mainly because I couldn't get past the idiotic question asking from the teaser trailer and she visually reminds me of a clown, but she came across better than I feared she would. That being said, Heather was cute as a button and I kind of wish she was the new companion, though I didn't like the way they recycled the water effects from Waters of Mars.
Nardol can sod off, I don't see him bringing anything useful to the stories - maybe he should stay back and "guard the base" er, vault.

Capaldi seemed more alive in this episode than in previous stories, maybe it's the new showrunner, maybe it's Clara being gone but he really shone in this episode.
The inclusion of the Daleks felt very forced and the Dalek seemed to be there just as a punching bag, which is a very old writing mistake. I'm also very dubious about the whole time travelling super liquid, which seemed to be equal with Time Lord tech, if not superior.
Mari Wolfe
Redshirt

Post by Mari Wolfe »

Parallax wrote:The inclusion of the Daleks felt very forced and the Dalek seemed to be there just as a punching bag, which is a very old writing mistake. I'm also very dubious about the whole time travelling super liquid, which seemed to be equal with Time Lord tech, if not superior.
The second I saw the ship landing burn marks I was expecting Daleks to make an appearance. It reminded me of the Seventh Doctor story Remembrance of the Daleks.
Hugs,
Mari
Parallax
Jedi Knight

Post by Parallax »

Hm. We never did find out which race made that ship (and the liquid in it), did we? We did hear voices that sounded extremely Ice Warrior-ish but surely intelligent time travelling liquid tech is waaaaaaaaaaaay beyond them.

I was surprised they included the Movellans again, though the type of Daleks present for that fight seemed to be wrong. The Movellan/Dalek war happened way back in the 4th Doctor era and was a stalemate for a long, long time. Surely only classic Daleks would be present.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Parallax wrote:Well, that was better than I expected. I love the idea of The Doctor being a University lecturer and the touches in his office were great, from the pen holder being full of old sonics to the photo of Susan. (And I do wish they'd revisit Susan at some point, I know they did in the novels but ... meh.). I wish I had an office like that one.
I was extremely dubious about Bill, mainly because I couldn't get past the idiotic question asking from the teaser trailer and she visually reminds me of a clown, but she came across better than I feared she would. That being said, Heather was cute as a button and I kind of wish she was the new companion, though I didn't like the way they recycled the water effects from Waters of Mars.
Nardol can sod off, I don't see him bringing anything useful to the stories - maybe he should stay back and "guard the base" er, vault.

Capaldi seemed more alive in this episode than in previous stories, maybe it's the new showrunner, maybe it's Clara being gone but he really shone in this episode.
The inclusion of the Daleks felt very forced and the Dalek seemed to be there just as a punching bag, which is a very old writing mistake. I'm also very dubious about the whole time travelling super liquid, which seemed to be equal with Time Lord tech, if not superior.
New show runner? I thought Moffat was still on until Christmas.

Anyway, missed it, damn it. It just slipped my mind, probably in part because its been a while since their have been new Who episodes to watch.

BBC, this is what happens when you have year-long gaps between seasons.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
Parallax
Jedi Knight

Post by Parallax »

The Romulan Republic wrote:New show runner? I thought Moffat was still on until Christmas.
Yeah, I had a brain fart on that one.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Well, it might still be related to any improvement in quality. I'd like to think Moffat would put more effort in for his final season, and try to end his and Capaldi's runs on a high note.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

DaveJB
Jedi Council Member

Post by DaveJB »

A decent enough episode overall. It was one of those episodes where it felt less like a sci-fi show grounded by realistic characters and more like a soap opera with sci-fi subplots, but that's probably more a by-product of it having to introduce a new companion as well.
Parallax wrote:I was surprised they included the Movellans again, though the type of Daleks present for that fight seemed to be wrong. The Movellan/Dalek war happened way back in the 4th Doctor era and was a stalemate for a long, long time. Surely only classic Daleks would be present.
Doesn't necessarily have to be the same war. The original Dalek-Movellan war ended with the Movellans wiping the floor with the Daleks once they figured out that an anti-Dalek virus was a neat way of breaking the deadlock between the two. Possibly the Movellans have been minding their own business since then, and the Daleks have only just now gotten around to taking some revenge for that defeat.
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

So Nardol is a robot? When did that happen?
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!
Lost Soal
Sith Devotee

Post by Lost Soal »

Enigma wrote:So Nardol is a robot? When did that happen?
Well his head was removed. You think the Doctor stuck his head back on his original body?
"May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places where you must walk." - Ancient Egyptian Blessing

Ivanova is always right.
I will listen to Ivanova.
I will not ignore Ivanova's recommendations. Ivanova is God.
AND, if this ever happens again, Ivanova will personally rip your lungs out! - Babylon 5 Mantra

There is no "I" in TEAM. There is a ME however.
Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Post by Iroscato »

Lost Soal wrote:
Well his head was removed. You think the Doctor stuck his head back on his original body?
Being beheaded does seem more of a minor inconvenience in this universe, between Dorium and Nardol :P

Decent enough episode, I wasn't sure about checking it out but I actually really like Bill so far - she's far less annoying than I thought she'd be. Cool little micro-glimpse of John Simm's Master in the teaser too...
Yeah, I've always taken the subtext of the Birther movement to be, "The rules don't count here! This is different! HE'S BLACK! BLACK, I SAY! ARE YOU ALL BLIND!?

- Raw Shark

Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent.

- SirNitram (RIP)
Lost Soal
Sith Devotee

Post by Lost Soal »

Iroscato wrote:
Lost Soal wrote:
Being beheaded does seem more of a minor inconvenience in this universe, between Dorium and Nardol :P

Decent enough episode, I wasn't sure about checking it out but I actually really like Bill so far - she's far less annoying than I thought she'd be. Cool little micro-glimpse of John Simm's Master in the teaser too...
Helps that the teaser scene had about 2/3rd's cut
"May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places where you must walk." - Ancient Egyptian Blessing

Ivanova is always right.
AND, if this ever happens again, Ivanova will personally rip your lungs out! - Babylon 5 Mantra

Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

Lost Soal wrote:
Either that or some other means of making him completely organic. :)
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

Also, when did he get his touch telepathy back?
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

ASSCRAVATS!
SpottedKitty
Jedi Master

Post by SpottedKitty »

Enigma wrote:Also, when did he get his touch telepathy back?
The writer (i.e. You Know Who) suddenly remembered about it. :wink:

The more I think about her, Bill seems to work well as a companion. She can snark right back at Twelve without missing a beat, and she had some great lines.
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Generally liked the episode. DIDN'T like the way they handled him NOT erasing Bill's memories. 'But imagine -just imagine how it would feel how if someone did this to you' complete with Clara's theme playing. This is obviously a nod to Clara and whatshername erasing the Doctor's memories of Clara. There's just one problem- the Doctor doesn't remember that happened.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Tribble
Sith Devotee

Post by Tribble »

Batman wrote:Generally liked the episode. DIDN'T like the way they handled him NOT erasing Bill's memories. 'But imagine -just imagine how it would feel how if someone did this to you' complete with Clara's theme playing. This is obviously a nod to Clara and whatshername erasing the Doctor's memories of Clara. There's just one problem- the Doctor doesn't remember that happened.
I thought he remembered everything by the end of the episode except for what she looked / sounded like?
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - The official Troll motto, as stated by Adam Savage
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Or maybe he remembers it only on a subconscious level?

Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

So the latest episode gives us the Doctor's age as being over 2000 years old. I guess time spent in the pocket universe doesn't count?
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

ASSCRAVATS!
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Enigma wrote:So the latest episode gives us the Doctor's age as being over 2000 years old. I guess time spent in the pocket universe doesn't count?
Since he kept getting 'reset' after a few days, he didn't really age.
And can't remember it.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
Lost Soal
Sith Devotee

Post by Lost Soal »

Solauren wrote:
Enigma wrote:So the latest episode gives us the Doctor's age as being over 2000 years old. I guess time spent in the pocket universe doesn't count?
Since he kept getting 'reset' after a few days, he didn't really age.
And can't remember it.
He remembered it, just doesn't really care to. Besides,that counts as over 2000yrs old :)

Ivanova is always right.