Doctor Who News: John Simm to return for multi-Master story.

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Doctor Who News: John Simm to return for multi-Master story.

Post by The Romulan Republic »

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2017-04- ... the-master
John Simm is returning to BBC sci-fi series Doctor Who as The Master, it has been confirmed.
The actor last played the evil Time Lord in 2009/2010 special The End of Time opposite David Tennant's Doctor, before regenerating offscreen into Michelle Gomez’s new incarnation Missy.
“I can confirm that it’s true, thanks to the power of time travel I’m back,” Simm said. “It’s always a pleasure to work with this great team of people and I can’t wait for you all to see what The Master gets up to in the next series.”
Steven Moffat, writer and executive producer, added: "Nothing stays secret for long on Doctor Who but you'll have to wait a little bit longer to see exactly what The Master is up to and how he makes his return to face the Doctor.
“It’s been a huge pleasure to have fan favourites John Simm and Michelle Gomez face to face in the same role! It’s not often you get to see a solo personality clash."
Doctor Who returns to BBC1 on Saturday 15th April at 7:20pm
Correct me if I'm wrong, but this is the first ever multi-Master story, correct?

Edit: While I'm overall feeling positive about this, I must admit I'd have been happier if they could have brought in Derek Jakobi, who despite his very brief appearance is my favourite new series Master.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
Bedlam
Jedi Master

Re: Doctor Who News: John Simm to return for multi-Master story.

Post by Bedlam »

Its the first even on TV, I know Big Finish have done at least one multi master audio.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

So spoiler in the title is a thing now?

I wish they could bring in Jaccobi but he'd make most sense opposite the War Doctor which cant happen. (Though did someone say it had in rhe audios?)
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Crazedwraith wrote:So spoiler in the title is a thing now?

I wish they could bring in Jaccobi but he'd make most sense opposite the War Doctor which cant happen. (Though did someone say it had in rhe audios?)
Apologies if its considered a spoiler. I figured if it was being publicly announced, they weren't exactly keeping it quiet and pretty much everyone who follows Who would know by the time it aired anyway.

I'd edit it, but the time limit has passed.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

Tribble
Sith Devotee

Post by Tribble »

Well it might finally explain how the hell the Master survived the events of End of Time and escaped Gallifrey... wouldn't be surprised if the Doctor is somehow involved.
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - The official Troll motto, as stated by Adam Savage
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Moffat, explain a glaring plot hole? If he does, he'll likely create more of them in the process.

Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

The Romulan Republic wrote: Apologies if its considered a spoiler. I figured if it was being publicly announced, they weren't exactly keeping it quiet and pretty much everyone who follows Who would know by the time it aired anyway.
No worries. You're right it will be all over the place.

I wonder how two Masters would interact. Would they be working together, being the same person, or actually try and one up for the greater glory of their particular incarnation.
Tribble
Sith Devotee

Post by Tribble »

The Romulan Republic wrote:Moffat, explain a glaring plot hole? If he does, he'll likely create more of them in the process.
You're right of course. How the Master prevented himself from dying when even an "Immortality Gate" wasn't good enough is another one of those things I want to know, but knowing Moffat it would involve a robot ice cream cone and a flock of chickens so perhaps it's best left unsaid.
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - The official Troll motto, as stated by Adam Savage
SpottedKitty
Jedi Master

Post by SpottedKitty »

Crazedwraith wrote:I wonder how two Masters would interact. Would they be working together, being the same person, or actually try and one up for the greater glory of their particular incarnation.
Don't forget the possibility of "fall passionately (but not too much, considering the BBC ratings) in lust with each other"... remember, one of them is the Simm!Master. :wtf:
“Despite rumor, Death isn't cruel — merely terribly, terribly good at his job.”
Terry Pratchett, Sourcery
Tribble
Sith Devotee

Post by Tribble »

SpottedKitty wrote:
Crazedwraith wrote:I wonder how two Masters would interact. Would they be working together, being the same person, or actually try and one up for the greater glory of their particular incarnation.
Don't forget the possibility of "fall passionately (but not too much, considering the BBC ratings) in lust with each other"... remember, one of them is the Simm!Master. :wtf:
Would that still count as masturbation? :lol:
Soontir C'boath
SG-14: Fuck the Medic!
Location: Queens, NYC I DON'T FUCKING CARE IF MANHATTEN IS CONSIDERED NYC!! I'M IN IT ASSHOLE!!!

Post by Soontir C'boath »

Don't know if it's sad or not that I am more excited about Mondasian Cybermen making a comeback.
I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in his stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Counciler or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate, who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who constantly says: "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I cannot agree with your methods of direct action"; who paternalistically believes he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by a mythical concept of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait for a "more convenient season."
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Soontir C'boath wrote:Don't know if it's sad or not that I am more excited about Mondasian Cybermen making a comeback.
Huh. I thought all the ones after The Next Doctor were supposed to be real ones not parallel universe ones?
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

To be honest, the Cybermen have never been terribly impressive villains, at least in the new series.

Bedlam
Jedi Master

Post by Bedlam »

Soontir C'boath wrote:Don't know if it's sad or not that I am more excited about Mondasian Cybermen making a comeback.
Me too, I think the original look for the Cybermen is much more unsettling than the current one. With the originals you can tell that they're still largely human. I wonder if they'll go with the original voices as well? They were really unsettling, although I think they would be considered to hard to understand for current TV.

I assume the story is going to be a sort of 'genesis of the Cybermen' thing set on Mondas in the early years of the Cybermen. I wonder if they're take any plot points from Spare Parts, the sound of the crying Cyberman in that audio was truly scary.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Calling it now: The Master is going to end up having created the Cybermen.

NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

Crazedwraith wrote:
Huh. I thought all the ones after The Next Doctor were supposed to be real ones not parallel universe ones?
They are.

But these are the original design too.
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Oh dear goodness. :(

I don't blame the old show for having terrible costumes. They were the best they could manage. But why are we recreating things worse than the have to be?
Dartzap
Sith Acolyte

Post by Dartzap »

Capaldi has said he really wanted a story with the Mondasians, and Moffat arranged it for him and his final series.
EBC: Northeners, Huh! What are they good for?! Absolutely nothing! :P

Cybertron, Justice league...MM, HAB SDN City Watch: Sergeant Detritus

Days Unstabbed, Unabused, Unassualted and Unwavedatwithabutchersknife: 0
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

Dartzap wrote:Capaldi has said he really wanted a story with the Mondasians, and Moffat arranged it for him and his final series.
Mark my words, he'll be killed by them just like the First Doctor. :)
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!
Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Post by Iroscato »

Crazedwraith wrote:Oh dear goodness. :(

I don't blame the old show for having terrible costumes. They were the best they could manage. But why are we recreating things worse than the have to be?
They could have done with a slight streamlining, perhaps, but I'm down with them using the OG Cybermen - they still retain a certain creepiness IMO.

As for Simm returning...I dunno. If you'd told me this a few years ago I would've screamed myself sick with excitement, but given the current state of the series (read: off its fucking head half the time, magnificent entertainment the other half) I'm really conflicted.
Yeah, I've always taken the subtext of the Birther movement to be, "The rules don't count here! This is different! HE'S BLACK! BLACK, I SAY! ARE YOU ALL BLIND!?

- Raw Shark

Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent.

- SirNitram (RIP)
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

Enigma wrote:
Dartzap wrote:Capaldi has said he really wanted a story with the Mondasians, and Moffat arranged it for him and his final series.
I actually hope so.

Would that make them the most successful enemies of the Doctor?

I'm not even sure the daleks have killed a regeneration offhand, apart from creating that metacrisis doctor.
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

Bedlam wrote:Me too, I think the original look for the Cybermen is much more unsettling than the current one. With the originals you can tell that they're still largely human. I wonder if they'll go with the original voices as well? They were really unsettling, although I think they would be considered to hard to understand for current TV.

I assume the story is going to be a sort of 'genesis of the Cybermen' thing set on Mondas in the early years of the Cybermen. I wonder if they're take any plot points from Spare Parts, the sound of the crying Cyberman in that audio was truly scary.
Well they still have Nick Briggs, so they can do it easily if they want.
jwl
Jedi Master

Post by jwl »

NecronLord wrote:
Enigma wrote:
I actually hope so.

Would that make them the most successful enemies of the Doctor?

I'm not even sure the daleks have killed a regeneration offhand, apart from creating that metacrisis doctor.
It's quite possible that a dalek shot is what caused the spaceship crash which killed the eighth doctor. And that's worth more than a regeneration, I think, since he didn't regenerate, he actually died and had to be resurrected by the Sisterhood of Karn. Going by regenerations, though, if you count time lords as a single enemy they took out more. The Time Lord council took out the second, the Master took out the fourth and the Rani took out the sixth.

On the "tenth planet" cybermen: I'm fine with them using them as long as they don't append in stomping noises.
SpottedKitty
Jedi Master

Post by SpottedKitty »

Aaaand the new Radio Times is out.
Spoiler
Previews of all the episodes, with Missy mentioned as guest-starring in three (including the final one). No mention of the Simm!Master, they must be keeping him for a surprise.
“Despite rumor, Death isn't cruel — merely terribly, terribly good at his job.”
Terry Pratchett, Sourcery
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Probably the finale. Multi-Master story is a good way to end the series.