Doctor Who News: John Simm to return for multi-Master story.

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Tribble
Sith Devotee

Re: Doctor Who News: John Simm to return for multi-Master story.

Post by Tribble »

jwl wrote:
NecronLord wrote:
Enigma wrote:
Mark my words, he'll be killed by them just like the First Doctor. :)
I actually hope so.

Would that make them the most successful enemies of the Doctor?

I'm not even sure the daleks have killed a regeneration offhand, apart from creating that metacrisis doctor.
It's quite possible that a dalek shot is what caused the spaceship crash which killed the eighth doctor. And that's worth more than a regeneration, I think, since he didn't regenerate, he actually died and had to be resurrected by the Sisterhood of Karn. Going by regenerations, though, if you count time lords as a single enemy they took out more. The Time Lord council took out the second, the Master took out the fourth and the Rani took out the sixth.

On the "tenth planet" cybermen: I'm fine with them using them as long as they don't append in stomping noises.
The Timelords are also at least indirectly responsible for the War Doctor (since his regeneration was at least partially to do with the Time War) and the 10th Doctor (Rassilion's scheme and Master leaving the nuclear bolt running is what setup the circumstances for the 10th Doctor's sacrifice.) Technically speaking they also caused the 11th Doctor's regeneration since he probably would have lived for a bit longer otherwise.

The Daleks are also indirectly responsible for the War Doctor (same as above), 9th Doctor (their actions are what prompted Rose to absorb the Time Vortex), 10th Doctor (threat of them returning) and 11th Doctor's (the whole fight at Trenzalore) regenerations.

Amusing bit is that both the Timelords and the Daleks are also responsible for his new set of regenerations (had the Daleks not been so damn persistent and left him alone he probably would have died of old age), so they are both the Doctor's worst enemies and greatest helpers.
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - The official Troll motto, as stated by Adam Savage
Tribble
Sith Devotee

Post by Tribble »

I'd also say it's a tossup between which regenerations were the most stupid. Is it the Sixth, where apparently he just hit his head off screen (ya I know why this happened outside universe, but its still ridiculous) or the Seventh, where he randomly walked into the middle of a gunfight, got shot, then the surgeon operating on him randomly decided to have fun doing some exploratory surgery?
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - The official Troll motto, as stated by Adam Savage
Bedlam
Jedi Master

Post by Bedlam »

Tribble wrote:
jwl wrote:
NecronLord wrote: I actually hope so.

Would that make them the most successful enemies of the Doctor?

I'm not even sure the daleks have killed a regeneration offhand, apart from creating that metacrisis doctor.
It's quite possible that a dalek shot is what caused the spaceship crash which killed the eighth doctor. And that's worth more than a regeneration, I think, since he didn't regenerate, he actually died and had to be resurrected by the Sisterhood of Karn. Going by regenerations, though, if you count time lords as a single enemy they took out more. The Time Lord council took out the second, the Master took out the fourth and the Rani took out the sixth.

On the "tenth planet" cybermen: I'm fine with them using them as long as they don't append in stomping noises.
The Timelords are also at least indirectly responsible for the War Doctor (since his regeneration was at least partially to do with the Time War) and the 10th Doctor (Rassilion's scheme and Master leaving the nuclear bolt running is what setup the circumstances for the 10th Doctor's sacrifice.) Technically speaking they also caused the 11th Doctor's regeneration since he probably would have lived for a bit longer otherwise.

The Daleks are also indirectly responsible for the War Doctor (same as above), 9th Doctor (their actions are what prompted Rose to absorb the Time Vortex), 10th Doctor (threat of them returning) and 11th Doctor's (the whole fight at Trenzalore) regenerations.

Amusing bit is that both the Timelords and the Daleks are also responsible for his new set of regenerations (had the Daleks not been so damn persistent and left him alone he probably would have died of old age), so they are both the Doctor's worst enemies and greatest helpers.
Well if you want to get really into it all of his regenerations are due to the timelords, if their society had been different he never would have left to die in the various ways he did.
I'd also say it's a tossup between which regenerations were the most stupid. Is it the Sixth, where apparently he just hit his head off screen (ya I know why this happened outside universe, but its still ridiculous) or the Seventh, where he randomly walked into the middle of a gunfight, got shot, then the surgeon operating on him randomly decided to have fun doing some exploratory surgery?
I wouldn't entirely blame Grace for that one, the Doctor seemed to indicate that the anathetic wasn't all that good for him and she hardly expected to be operating on an alien (although she did just ignore the x-ray showing a different internal structure).
Captain Seafort
Jedi Council Member

Post by Captain Seafort »

Bedlam wrote:I wouldn't entirely blame Grace for that one, the Doctor seemed to indicate that the anathetic wasn't all that good for him and she hardly expected to be operating on an alien (although she did just ignore the x-ray showing a different internal structure).
IIRC she never saw the X-ray - it was binned without showing her because it was thought to be a double exposure.
Parallax
Jedi Knight

Post by Parallax »

The sixth's regeneration was the dumbest, as pointed out, the TARDIS was attacked and he hit his head on the console. Really. And it wasn't even Colin Baker, it was Sylvester McCoy in a horribly bad wig as Colin Baker gave the middle finger to the BBC for the terrible way he had been treated.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Parallax wrote:The sixth's regeneration was the dumbest, as pointed out, the TARDIS was attacked and he hit his head on the console. Really. And it wasn't even Colin Baker, it was Sylvester McCoy in a horribly bad wig as Colin Baker gave the middle finger to the BBC for the terrible way he had been treated.
As he rightly should have.

One has to feel sorry for Colin Baker. He deserved far better.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
Parallax
Jedi Knight

Post by Parallax »

Oh, indeed. I've been lucky to meet Colin Baker and he's an absolutely delightful man, full of mirth and good humour. And his works with Big Finish have really demonstrated just what a great Doctor he could have been, if only Michael Grade hadn't been such a Class A Douchebag.
Tribble
Sith Devotee

Post by Tribble »

Parallax wrote:Oh, indeed. I've been lucky to meet Colin Baker and he's an absolutely delightful man, full of mirth and good humour. And his works with Big Finish have really demonstrated just what a great Doctor he could have been, if only Michael Grade hadn't been such a Class A Douchebag.
Hell, just giving him the clothes he had wanted would have been a massive improvement.
Darth Lucifer
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darth Lucifer »

Tribble wrote:
Parallax wrote:Oh, indeed. I've been lucky to meet Colin Baker and he's an absolutely delightful man, full of mirth and good humour. And his works with Big Finish have really demonstrated just what a great Doctor he could have been, if only Michael Grade hadn't been such a Class A Douchebag.
Hell, just giving him the clothes he had wanted would have been a massive improvement.
Thanks to the internet, here's an artist's rendition of The Sixth Doctor in classic black. Sexy looking man right there, so much better than the clown suit:

jwl
Jedi Master

Post by jwl »

Darth Lucifer wrote:
Tribble wrote:
Thanks to the internet, here's an artist's rendition of The Sixth Doctor in classic black. Sexy looking man right there, so much better than the clown suit:

Although that image isn't quite accurate to Colin's vision of the costume, because the idea is to have a darker costume to match his darker personality, and that costume doesn't really make him look darker, just less outrageous. The best rendering I could find online of this idea is this drawing:

I would say you could get more of an idea of a darker doctor from that costume.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

That actually looks quite a bit like how Eleven dressed later on, if more black.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

jwl
Jedi Master

Post by jwl »

The Romulan Republic wrote:That actually looks quite a bit like how Eleven dressed later on, if more black.
And I'd say it worked in the same kind of way. Eleven never was really all that dark anyway, but his latter costume did make him feel a tad darker.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

I tend to see Eleven as a very ruthless, even cruel and self-loathing man who hid it most of the time behind a mask of hyper, cheerful eccentricity.

I remember at some point I started jokingly referring to him as Joker Doctor, though that's far from a perfect fit. Eleven, overall, wasn't actually evil

Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

The Romulan Republic wrote:I tend to see Eleven as a very ruthless, even cruel and self-loathing man who hid it most of the time behind a mask of hyper, cheerful eccentricity.

I remember at some point I started jokingly referring to him as Joker Doctor, though that's far from a perfect fit. Eleven, overall, wasn't actually evil
Yeah, he certainly handled the genocide of the Silence... lightly.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Tribble
Sith Devotee

Post by Tribble »

Gandalf wrote:
The Romulan Republic wrote:I tend to see Eleven as a very ruthless, even cruel and self-loathing man who hid it most of the time behind a mask of hyper, cheerful eccentricity.

Yeah, he certainly handled the genocide of the Silence... lightly.
Ya, and apparently he's a saint compared to the War Doctor... even without using the Moment the War Doctor was still apparently responsible for countless atrocities.
Tribble
Sith Devotee

Post by Tribble »

You know, the Doctor's incarnations have trouble getting along with each other sometimes, I can only imagine that having two Masters in the same room together will inevitably cause some... friction. Given his massive ego I highly doubt John Simm's Master will want to regenerate, and he's a bit of a misogynist to boot. Maybe he'll end up getting some "help" from the Mistress. As in, she'll shoot him and trigger his regeneration. :D
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Thus bringing about her own existence?

Yeah, I can see the Master (and Moffat) doing that.