PacRim vs. Skull Island Monster's RAR

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

JI_Joe84
Padawan Learner

PacRim vs. Skull Island Monster's RAR

Post by JI_Joe84 »

So say about 6 months after the event's of PacRim a tall building sized monster walking on it's arm's and a giant mouth full of large peg like teeth comes ashore at Hong Kong harbor a begins gobbling up the people and destroying building's but only going after people.
Tank's and aircraft kill it but not until it destroyed the city.
People are outraged, this was supposed to be over after Dixie's sacrifice and now it's all to familiar like a old wound that won't heal, opened again.
There is parts enough to build a whole new machine for all the movie Yaeger's laying around the base.

What happens now? Can a Yeager take a MUTO? Do they bother?
Q99
Jedi Council Member

Re: PacRim vs. Skull Island Monster's RAR

Post by Q99 »

Jaegers could kill Mutos if it wasn't for the EMP effect, but not too easily. You'd want the right loadout and preferably multiple Jaegers working together.

Most Skull Island monsters should be quite easy on the flip side, even Kong (he's still got some growing to do before he can fight G). But hey, if there's giant monsters, what else are you going to use a Jaeger for?
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

The MUTOs from Godzilla might be an issue but I think the skull crawlers would be good practice.

The "MUTOS" are big and tend to have that EMP effect. It's more of a big deal in the novelization of Godzilla (he can't start his atomic breath because of it) but they seem to have to keep on top of it in the movie for it to be effective. Perhaps, it is something more active with the male and a bit more passive with female. The TV certainly shows/expect it to be working with the female but whenever she's distracted or the male is away Godzilla appears to be able to lay the atomic breath down.
By the pricking of my thumb,
Something wicked this way comes.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
TithonusSyndrome
Sith Devotee

Post by TithonusSyndrome »

Kong in Skull Island is around 100 feet tall. The Jaegers are around 270 feet tall. Goji2014 is More like 340 feet tall.

None of them are matched evenly for this setup.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

TithonusSyndrome wrote:Kong in Skull Island is around 100 feet tall. The Jaegers are around 270 feet tall. Goji2014 is More like 340 feet tall.

None of them are matched evenly for this setup.
Once again, Kong in Skull Island is "Still Growing". By the time of PacRim, he'd have had 40-50yrs growth, and may have reached 340-350ft.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

Tripling in height seems like a lot of growth for still growing, vs being called a baby. But not impossible. I have yet to see it. Kong is at least not actively dumb though, which would help.

Goji2014 stuff seems much tougher then the Jaegers, but the MUTO is clearly a dumb animal kind of monster, which would make it very vulnerable if the EMP can be overcome. I dunno how it ever would be though, the amount of energy the MUTO would need to generate is incredibly high (and would in fact kill people nearby if this had any reality) so you'd assume its time limited, but the Jaegers are primary melee attackers, which means the MUTO you know, doesn't need much warning, and Jaegers have lots of exposed parts.

So one Jaeger not effective, but the Jaeger program might be if they attacked in waves. The EMP covered a big radius but the Jaeger doesn't seem to have any serious operating limit once it's going. Just no doubt really expensive to refurbish per step taken.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
Q99
Jedi Council Member

Post by Q99 »

The old-reactor Jaegers can activate in an area that's been freshly hollywood-EMPed (they never did eat one while live, so I assume their control systems would still be knocked out if they were turned on), so putting them in position first, then activating right after an EMP could be an option.
JI_Joe84
Padawan Learner

Post by JI_Joe84 »

Tsyroc wrote:The MUTOs from Godzilla might be an issue but I think the skull crawlers would be good practice.

The "MUTOS" are big and tend to have that EMP effect. It's more of a big deal in the novelization of Godzilla (he can't start his atomic breath because of it) but they seem to have to keep on top of it in the movie for it to be effective. Perhaps, it is something more active with the male and a bit more passive with female. The TV certainly shows/expect it to be working with the female but whenever she's distracted or the male is away Godzilla appears to be able to lay the atomic breath down.
In Kong: Skull Island John Goodman said he was working for Monarch and that his task was to search for "Massive Unidentified Terestrial Organisms" IE. MUTO's so I was assuming all the creature's on skull island were MUTO's. Since he talked about the hollow Earth Theory I was assuming there were more , even meaner things waiting below.
The God Zilla2014 MUTO'S did seem bigger and tougher. It did seem that the male was using EMP more and to greater effect but the female was pregnant for most of the movie, maybe she was drained at the time?
Godzilla's atomic breath is going to be trouble for Kong and the Jaeger's.
Gypsies "nuclear" reactor will be a problem as the 2014 MUTO'S seemed able to sense radiation, will they sense Gypsies reactor? Will they try to eat it? They tried to eat the nuclear missiles from the sub and then the train.
I agree the skull crawler's would be good practice​, even Cherno Alfa should be able to handle them though I doubt the effectiveness of hydraulic punches. Might need one of those fancey plasma Cannon's to really get it, any of the swords would be good too.
JI_Joe84
Padawan Learner

Post by JI_Joe84 »

Q99 wrote:The old-reactor Jaegers can activate in an area that's been freshly hollywood-EMPed (they never did eat one while live, so I assume their control systems would still be knocked out if they were turned on), so putting them in position first, then activating right after an EMP could be an option.
The helicopters seemed just fine, maybe a upgrade for the Jaeger's there.
Cykeisme
Jedi Council Member

Post by Cykeisme »

Is there some way we can estimate the impulse and kinetic energy transfer of giant monster/robot punches?

I'm assuming that's a no, since we can get pretty good velocity and terminal deceleration from visuals, but not even rough ideas of the mass of fists and bodies/heads.. or am I mistaken?
"..history has shown the best defense against heavy cavalry are pikemen, so aircraft should mount lances on their noses and fly in tight squares to fend off bombers". - RedImperator

"ha ha, raping puppies is FUN!" - Johonebesus

"It would just be Unicron with pew pew instead of nom nom". - Vendetta, explaining his justified disinterest in the idea of the movie Allspark affecting the Death Star
JI_Joe84
Padawan Learner

Post by JI_Joe84 »

We'll screen visuals could give speed reference's but mass, PAC rim didn't even try to make sense in their discriptions. "Diesel strand's" and all that.
Cykeisme
Jedi Council Member

Post by Cykeisme »

Ya, figured as much.

And since a lot of PacRim/MUTOverse confrontations end up as physical combat (that is to say, trading left jabs and right hooks, with the occasional tail swipe or shoulder ram thrown in), and it's a bit difficult to determine the relative power/durability of the two universes.. so we can't really tell which holds the advantage when it finally comes down to fisticuffs.

Also, yeah, just Googled what you mentioned.. "50 diesel engines per muscle strand" sounds fuckawesome, but when it isn't stated how big these engines are/how much power/torque they produce, or just as importantly how many muscle strands there are in each of the Jaeger's various major muscles, it's obviously left deliberately vague.
"..history has shown the best defense against heavy cavalry are pikemen, so aircraft should mount lances on their noses and fly in tight squares to fend off bombers". - RedImperator

"ha ha, raping puppies is FUN!" - Johonebesus

"It would just be Unicron with pew pew instead of nom nom". - Vendetta, explaining his justified disinterest in the idea of the movie Allspark affecting the Death Star
JI_Joe84
Padawan Learner

Post by JI_Joe84 »

Cykeisme wrote:Ya, figured as much.

And since a lot of PacRim/MUTOverse confrontations end up as physical combat (that is to say, trading left jabs and right hooks, with the occasional tail swipe or shoulder ram thrown in), and it's a bit difficult to determine the relative power/durability of the two universes.. so we can't really tell which holds the advantage when it finally comes down to fisticuffs.

Also, yeah, just Googled what you mentioned.. "50 diesel engines per muscle strand" sounds fuckawesome, but when it isn't stated how big these engines are/how much power/torque they produce, or just as importantly how many muscle strands there are in each of the Jaeger's various major muscles, it's obviously left deliberately vague.
Yup, basically yup. It seems these movie's are just excuses for knock down/drag out brawls, not that I mind of course.
Q99
Jedi Council Member

Post by Q99 »

Cykeisme wrote:Is there some way we can estimate the impulse and kinetic energy transfer of giant monster/robot punches?

I'm assuming that's a no, since we can get pretty good velocity and terminal deceleration from visuals, but not even rough ideas of the mass of fists and bodies/heads.. or am I mistaken?
There are official masses, and one could try extrapolating from there, but... they're actually absurdly light, light enough that a Jaeger would float like a cork, which onscreen evidence contradicts heavily (in that they sink, and Kaiju swim).

Probably the best way to judge would be to assume they mass as much as water, because Kaiju seem close enough to neutrally buoyant.

But in any case, it'd require assuming a lot of numbers we either don't have or only have very questionable info on.
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

I recall people in the past estimated the size of Godzilla by submerging a official toy in water and calculating the volume displacement, then scale to known height.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956