A Firefly/Serenity vs. Star Wars question.

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Q99
Jedi Council Member

Re: A Firefly/Serenity vs. Star Wars question.

Post by Q99 »

The Romulan Republic wrote:Hell, one Sith, if its Palpatine or possibly Dooku (I think Maul and Vader might be a bit too blunt for the necessary subterfuge and politicking).
Sure, but two is standard so they can do the 'put one on each side' thing.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

For a conventional invasion, I'd say that a single frigate would probably suffice for conventional space combat (unless someone managed to get close enough to ram or ambush it with its shields down). As a backup, though, and to ensure that their are adequate forces on-hand for any eventuality, let's say two-three ships in-system at any time, plus you'll have to rotate vessels out periodically.

To enforce the system-wide blockade option, you'd either need ships with large fighter/gunship contingents and good long-range sensors, some sort of sensor/probe droid network over the system, or a lot more ships (though for blockade enforcement, corvettes/gunships ought to cut it in most circumstances).

Of course, if you're sufficiently ruthless, you could simply use the threat of orbital bombardment of the capital to force capitulation, with a demonstration strike if threats, and the obliteration of all Alliance warships, didn't make a convincing point. Though you'd still have to deploy ground troops to deal with insurgencies.

For ground forces, you'd probably be looking at tens or hundreds of millions minimum, though that's only if you try to occupy every world by force, and tech. superiority might narrow that somewhat. Of course, Star Wars canon doesn't generally feature ground forces on that scale. But you'd potentially be looking at something along the lines of several Acclamators or comparable vessels per major world to occupy. A single Acclamator-type ship or even a smaller troop transport ought to suffice for some of the barely-populated dirt balls we see, if they're even important enough to bother occupying at all.

One interesting option might be to simply lock down the capital and maybe some of the other major core worlds (whose populations are probably more docile and less inclined to rebellion), and hire local mercs./gangs (which exist aplenty) to enforce your edicts on the border worlds (the Alliance did this). Possibly have your covert agents incite another Browncoat rebellion.

Hmm, this gives me an interesting scenario for another thread.

Edit: Forgot to mention the obvious "Obliterate all the Reavers", which ought to be a good PR move too. Hell, use Miranda to undermine the Alliance government and then declare yourselves liberators.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

And since the Reavers seem to mostly just live in space, without any real planetary infrastructure, and aren't terribly numerous, one frigate could probably wipe them all out, possibly in a single day.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

The Romulan Republic wrote: Admittedly, Star Wars has all this too. But again, the question is not "who would win an all-out war" (which has a very obvious answer), but "what kind of force/methods would be necessary for a Star Wars faction to do it?
Given that in the big battle in Serenity the Alliance military is so incompetent they forget to shoot the Reavers until they are close enough to reach out and hit with sticks, I'm pretty sure a military victory could be achieved with a single X-Wing.

However, a military invasion in the classical sense is basically unnecessary. Just put the co-ordinates on the map for interstellar trade and the Alliance economy will collapse in a matter of weeks as their markets are flooded with cheap imports from a far vaster galaxy with infinitely greater resources. The system will be de-facto under Imperial control because the indigenous government would be completely unable to cope without their help.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Vendetta wrote:
The Romulan Republic wrote: Admittedly, Star Wars has all this too. But again, the question is not "who would win an all-out war" (which has a very obvious answer), but "what kind of force/methods would be necessary for a Star Wars faction to do it?
Given that in the big battle in Serenity the Alliance military is so incompetent they forget to shoot the Reavers until they are close enough to reach out and hit with sticks, I'm pretty sure a military victory could be achieved with a single X-Wing.
That was actually justified in the film as being due to the planetary atmosphere (the battle took place in the atmosphere) concealing their approach until they were at point-blank range.

The worst you can say for the Alliance's performance is that they failed to post picket ships outside the atmosphere to guard against an ambush, but then, who would have expected Mal to bring the entire Reaver fleet chasing after him?
However, a military invasion in the classical sense is basically unnecessary. Just put the co-ordinates on the map for interstellar trade and the Alliance economy will collapse in a matter of weeks as their markets are flooded with cheap imports from a far vaster galaxy with infinitely greater resources. The system will be de-facto under Imperial control because the indigenous government would be completely unable to cope without their help.
Or some random corporation or gangster turns it into their private fief. Would the Empire care as long as they got their kickbacks and the new regime didn't cause trouble? They left Jabba alone, seemingly.

Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Imagine Jabba or some other Hutt staging a hostile takeover, Badger or Niska being brought to the Hutt's throne and the Hutt just launching its tongue at him like some toad or chameleon, slurping Badger or Niska in and unhinging its jaws like some python to swallow Badger whole. And burping. Then Bib Fortuna goes De Wanna Wunga and Jabba's gremlinoid cackles, going EEEHEEEHEEEHEEEHEEEHEEEHEEEE. While Mal and Jayne and Zoey are just looking on in horror.
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Heh, Jabba moving in on Niska's turf could make a fairly entertaining story.

Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Yeah. Niska might actually put up enough of a fight to be momentarily interesting, then, well, what Shroom said. :D
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

I kind of want to see Boba Fett collect the bounty on Niska. :D

Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Jubal Early and the Operative tag-team Boba Fett and hit both his pressure points... that activates both his rocket pack AND his bladder AND his colon... so he drifts out into space and eventually centuries later falls into Tattooine, landing precisely in the mouth of the Saarlac.

Shitting and pissing himself all the way.

His SUPER AWESOME MANDALORIAN ARMOR will prevent him from burning into ash in the upper atmosphere. MANDALORIAN BADASS TECHNOLOGY will also mean he stays alive for the ten thousand years it takes for him to drift from deep space off Miranda or Mudtown to Tattooine in the Star Wars Outer Rim.

Fine, let's assume the Firefly system, which is not that far from Earth That Was (presumably), is also near the most important planet in the Star Wars galaxy and the center of destiny... Tattooine.

Or the interdimensional portal is over Tattooine. There.
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Bossk is the one who gets Niska and after Jabba eats Niska, he takes over the Firefly system and rewards Bossk by making him the president of the Hutt-occupied Alliance. Yes. The President of Londinium is Bossk... A LIZARD!

Pink Sugar Heart Attack!