Time After Time (series)

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Time After Time (series)

Post by FaxModem1 »

ABC has adapted the 1979 novel and film into a new TV series, which premiered on Sunday.

So far, I like it. The HG Wells of the series is very much the same character as the novel and film. Jack the Ripper is primarily the same character as well. And they seem to be adding to the plot by adding at least one organization that is aware of time travel.

Anyone else watching?
Parallax
Jedi Knight

Re: Time After Time (series)

Post by Parallax »

The comparison is obvious but I have to ask - is it as good as Timeless?
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

Parallax wrote:The comparison is obvious but I have to ask - is it as good as Timeless?
Haven't seen Timeless, so I can't give you an answer.
Parallax
Jedi Knight

Post by Parallax »

Oh. Pity. I was pleasantly surprised by Timeless. The first episode or two didn't thrill me but as they introduced more of the long term story arc, things became more intriguing.
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

Parallax wrote:The comparison is obvious but I have to ask - is it as good as Timeless?
Okay, after watching the first episode of Timeless, I think Time After Time has the stronger pilot, simply due to the characters being more entertaining. But this is a matter of taste, as Timeless is a very serious dramatic show, while Time After Time is a more romantic show that focuses on characters.
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

Parallax wrote:Oh. Pity. I was pleasantly surprised by Timeless. The first episode or two didn't thrill me but as they introduced more of the long term story arc, things became more intriguing.
It was a pleasant surprise. I was concerned about the pilot of the timeship being black and constantly going back in time where that would have been a big problem. I think the show has handled it well, plus they haven't been afraid to change history. It should be interesting to see what their endgame is.
By the pricking of my thumb,
Something wicked this way comes.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

So, I finished Timeless on Hulu, and I rather liked it. I don't think, honestly, that Time After Time will be able to measure up.

Timeless is all about the fun of the adventure, of visiting different eras, changing the timeline, and seeing the conspiracy unravel.

Time After Time is more about watching HG Wells, a socially progressive adorkable writer and inventor, have a love story in the 21st century while also hunting down Jack the Ripper. There also appears to be at least one group, if not two, who are interested in acquiring Wells' time machine, as well as the time travelers. For what purpose? Not known yet, but we're only three episodes in.