Arrival (2016 scifi movie)

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

ray245
Sith Acolyte

Arrival (2016 scifi movie)

Postby ray245 » 2017-02-12 06:01pm

Has anyone seen this movie? I've just gotten around to seeing this fairly recently, and it's one of my favorite first contact movie. I really enjoyed how they deal with the concept of experiencing non-linear time. Hopefully, it could be the first sci-fi movie to actually win the Oscar, although I think Lalaland stands a much chance.

Anyone else has seen this movie?
Humans are such funny creatures. We are selfish about selflessness, yet we can love something so much that we can hate something.

Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Re: Arrival (2016 scifi movie)

Postby Galvatron » 2017-02-12 07:02pm

I saw it. It wasn't quite what I expected, but I liked it a lot.

JLTucker
Sith Devotee

Postby JLTucker » 2017-02-12 07:11pm

Saw it but thought the payoff was not worth the time spent watching it. Most of it was good, but I cannot see me ever watching it again. Wiorth a rental, for sure, but wouldn't buy it if you're a fan of science fiction.

Adam Reynolds
Jedi Council Member

Postby Adam Reynolds » 2017-02-12 09:59pm

JLTucker wrote:Saw it but thought the payoff was not worth the time spent watching it. Most of it was good, but I cannot see me ever watching it again. Wiorth a rental, for sure, but wouldn't buy it if you're a fan of science fiction.

In what sense is that true? Is it the sort of thing in which you can predict the ending if you are generally familiar with the genre?

Q99
Jedi Master

Postby Q99 » 2017-02-13 06:34pm

A thing about movies like this is (1) they strike me as similar to old classic SF short stories that make you think, and (2) I have read sooo many of those, and novels and movies, that I find myself less than floored by even fairly good twists, so I tend to just read the synoposis and move on.

My perception from not having watched it is, it looks a heck of a lot better than Interstellar or Passengers, but is very much made of stuff I'm used to.

JLTucker
Sith Devotee

Postby JLTucker » 2017-02-13 06:47pm

Q99 wrote:A thing about movies like this is (1) they strike me as similar to old classic SF short stories that make you think, and (2) I have read sooo many of those, and novels and movies, that I find myself less than floored by even fairly good twists, so I tend to just read the synoposis and move on.

My perception from not having watched it is, it looks a heck of a lot better than Interstellar or Passengers, but is very much made of stuff I'm used to.

It's nowhere near being better than Interstellar. It's so inferior.

Terralthra
Sith Marauder

Postby Terralthra » 2017-02-13 07:26pm

I liked it much better than Interstellar, but did not find it to be as "inspiring" as many watchers seemed to do. I thought its ending, in particular, was discouraging to the point of nihilism in its view of humanity.

JLTucker
Sith Devotee

Postby JLTucker » 2017-02-13 10:17pm

Terralthra wrote:I liked it much better than Interstellar, but did not find it to be as "inspiring" as many watchers seemed to do. I thought its ending, in particular, was discouraging to the point of nihilism in its view of humanity.

I definitely agree. What the main character does is beyond forgivable.

Terralthra
Sith Marauder

Postby Terralthra » 2017-02-13 10:19pm

JLTucker wrote:
Terralthra wrote:I liked it much better than Interstellar, but did not find it to be as "inspiring" as many watchers seemed to do. I thought its ending, in particular, was discouraging to the point of nihilism in its view of humanity.

I definitely agree. What the main character does is beyond forgivable.

That's not the part to which I object so strenuously, but I'm not sure whether we should enter a debate on that topic - or the other - in a thread not marked spoilers in the topic, and with spoiler tags still broken.

Q99
Jedi Master

Postby Q99 » 2017-02-15 12:02am

JLTucker wrote:It's nowhere near being better than Interstellar. It's so inferior.

Really? Ah well. Plot-summary wise it at least looked less head-desky to me.

It strikes me both have similar late-act plot twists.

Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Postby Shroom Man 777 » 2017-02-15 01:04pm

I think because it doesn't have LOOKIT ME SO CLEVER SRS BSNSS Nolanism and it's last minute twisty screwy timey wimey stuff is done through well-acted but not-bombastic acting and characterization and actually not-rather-insufficient-portrayals-of-womengs AND avoidance of AWSUM AKSHUN sequences, IMO Arrival goes past Interstellar.

And it's less "lookit us so much mathematics computating black hoel!" and more "yes it is kooky but the underlying fucking theme is that it uses language and communication with others and INTROSPECTION OF SELF" that makes it pretty neato IMO.

It's like the Dr. Manhattan sequences in Watchmen. Which I love.

Of course it won't have enough gigajoule computationing sensibilities for the SO HARD ON SCI FI HADRON HARDONS sensibilities of the spherical masses of iron over here. ;)

Mein Review, because I just watched it a short while ago:

ARRIVAL is incredible. Brilliant plot, with delectable craziness and weirdness and a welcomed avoidance of utterly tired pew-pew 'splosions. The emphasis on linguistics, the entire puzzling setup and the great composition of the aliens with their vessels, language, mission, etc. is all in all just so refreshing. It's to sci-fi what the director's prior film, Sicario, was for the action genre and I guess this significantly alleviates worries for Blade Runner and the eventual Dune adaptation. It's just so much waw.

I'm very fine with the plot devices used in the narrative - it's a bold choice and, really, most other options, including pew-pew 'splosion-akshun, are totally been-there/done-that anyway. Subverting, avoiding, flipping over (and flipping off!) Great Action Hero cliches from the action-moviefication of sci-fi AND tired ass American military folklore-isms in sci-fi is <3

Though I don't think "aliens appear" = "automatic riots all over the world." Neill Blomkamp's documentary didn't show THAT degree of civil unrest... but then again, I am sure people around the world were calmer because they believed SOOTH EFFRICKA could handle giant alien spaceship appearances. :D

I'm also tickled at the Chinese belligerence over the alien vessel over Asian waters ;) and I guess my only complaint is the composition of their speculative/made-up Chinese hardware. J-20 or J-31-like fighters on a non-CATOBAR, not-even-ski jump... short-deck LHD-type carrier? Either the Chinese somehow magically got VTOL out of nowhere or... yeah, blargh blargh blargh :P

...and why place Iskanders (?) or whatever SRBMs within line of sight/visual range of the target anyway? What's the minimum range for those things, how far do they have to go to accelerate to attack speed?

Plus Saw Gerrera makes for a damn good Generadmiral Commanderalissimo of the You Ess Marangerine Force Smarmy Mavy. The less Corporatenant Blandy McBlanderson the 2nd or Shootgun McStabpunch Jr., the better.

AND it was hard to tell it was Forrest Whittaker because for once he wasn't batfuck nuts.
Image Image Image
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!

K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Postby K. A. Pital » 2017-02-19 06:23am

Much better than Interstellar. Shroom already summed up what I think also.

It reminded me of some China Mieville writing, and in a good way, because he is one decent writer in an age of rapidly spreading militaristic or downright fascist techno-thriller bullshit. Same with this film - a welcome change from the typical cliches of evil aliens or twisted secretive aliens.
It is of paramount importance to achieve naval superiority... because humans are mostly made of water

FaxModem1
Sith Acolyte

Postby FaxModem1 » 2017-02-20 01:45am

I enjoyed it, but I thought Contact was a better execution of the concept.

I also wondered about the alien language.

Spoiler
If a species is able to foresee their own future, how does their society experience technological and scientific progress, as they would know the right answer every time. Wouldn't that stifle their ability to learn, and bottleneck their development? As well as their progress as a society as a whole?

Or am I missing something?