The Doctor's Rogues Gallery.

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Favourite Doctor Who villain?

The Master/Missy.
69%
The Great Intelligence.
6%
Davros.
13%
The Rani.
No votes
Rassilon.
No votes
The Cult of Skaro (okay, technically four villains).
No votes
Madame Kovarian.
No votes
The Doctor (he has gone off the rails a number of times).
13%
Other.
No votes

Total votes: 16

The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Re: The Doctor's Rogues Gallery.

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Crazedwraith wrote:
The Romulan Republic wrote:Their's some truth to that, but...

I doubt it would have mattered much if the Doctor hadn't removed Harriet Jones, because the Master would have probably just found a way to take over anyway in a season or so. I mean, he's the Master. Kind of out of Harriet's league.
I have actually seen people assume this the other way. That the only way Saxon came to power was because Ten wrecked Harriet Jones' Golden Age early.
I know. And its idiotic.

Of course, you can always speculate as to how a different timeline might have gone wildly differently due to the butterfly effect, but presuming the Master still came to Earth and tried to take over... he's going to pull it off.
But I tend to think you're right. Nine's prediction basically comes with a honking great asterisk mark. "Assuming no other time travellers get involved"
Yep. As the Doctor removing her showed, her "golden age" wasn't a fixed point. Any time traveler could have mucked it up, just like the Doctor did.

Edit: Actually, now that I think about it, the Doctor may have inadvertently saved her life by deposing her. When he removed her from power, he left her alive. The Master might not have been so generous.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Post by mr friendly guy »

Harriet Jones couldn't overcome a rumour but she will totally beat the Master with his archangel brainwashing network, a network which humans still have no idea what it does, yet alone suspect its something we need to deal with. Well I am convinced. :lol:
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.
Q99
Jedi Council Member

Post by Q99 »

The Romulan Republic wrote:Their's some truth to that, but...

I doubt it would have mattered much if the Doctor hadn't removed Harriet Jones, because the Master would have probably just found a way to take over anyway in a season or so. I mean, he's the Master. Kind of out of Harriet's league.
Oh yea, definitely ^^

Best-case, the Doctor decides to visit the golden age and notices the Master in time. More likely, the Doctor getting her out of the way might've helped.

My point is more, the 'deposing Harriet was wrong' arguments (sans Master) can easily be applied in the Doctor's defense, often more fittingly.
JLTucker
BANNED

Post by JLTucker »

I voted for The Master/Missy, but I need to change my vote. My favorite Doctor Who villain would have to be The SIlence. That two-part story of series six is downright amazing.
Parallax
Jedi Knight

Post by Parallax »

Honestly, one of the better villains of the new series was The Dream Lord.
I thought he was a damn near perfect foil for the Doctor.
Tribble
Sith Devotee

Post by Tribble »

Parallax wrote:Honestly, one of the better villains of the new series was The Dream Lord.
I thought he was a damn near perfect foil for the Doctor.
Wasn't he just the dark aspects of the Doctor's own subconscious? When I said the Doctor was his own worst enemy, I meant it literally as well as figuratively (The Valeyard counts as well of course) :P
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - The official Troll motto, as stated by Adam Savage
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

JLTucker wrote:I voted for The Master/Missy, but I need to change my vote. My favorite Doctor Who villain would have to be The SIlence. That two-part story of series six is downright amazing.
That would under species not villian. Such a pity Time Of The Doctor failed to make them make any sense at all.
JLTucker
BANNED

Post by JLTucker »

Crazedwraith wrote:
JLTucker wrote:I voted for The Master/Missy, but I need to change my vote. My favorite Doctor Who villain would have to be The SIlence. That two-part story of series six is downright amazing.
That would under species not villian. Such a pity Time Of The Doctor failed to make them make any sense at all.
Damn?! Really? Well, shit. I'll stick with The Master/Missy.
Q99
Jedi Council Member

Post by Q99 »

On Daleks, which individual daleks make the best villains?

The one from "Dalek" managed to be singularly formidable and carry an episode on it's own, imo the single most intimidating in the entire series.

Dalek Sec of course had great smack-talk with the Cybermen.

Then you've got Emperor Daleks and such.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

The one from Dalek was very effective.

And I'll second the earlier praise for the Dream Lord.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

Tribble
Sith Devotee

Post by Tribble »

Q99 wrote:On Daleks, which individual daleks make the best villains?

The one from "Dalek" managed to be singularly formidable and carry an episode on it's own, imo the single most intimidating in the entire series.

Dalek Sec of course had great smack-talk with the Cybermen.

Then you've got Emperor Daleks and such.
Oh, that's a tough one. The one in "Dalek" was the most threatening in the series so far, but Dalek Sec's smackdown of the Cybermen was epic. If I had to choose.... I'd say the one from Dalek, as it was their first introduction in the New Series and it made a great first impression (so great in fact that further appearances were bound to fall into villain decay).
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - The official Troll motto, as stated by Adam Savage
SpottedKitty
Jedi Master

Post by SpottedKitty »

Tribble wrote:If I had to choose.... I'd say the one from Dalek, as it was their first introduction in the New Series and it made a great first impression
<nod> Me too. It was also, IIRC, among the first details we're told (beyond Nine's angst) getting into "what happened in the Time War".
“Despite rumor, Death isn't cruel — merely terribly, terribly good at his job.”
Terry Pratchett, Sourcery
Tribble
Sith Devotee

Post by Tribble »

Oh, and what about that... thing from "Midnight"? Apart from its various abilities we learn practically nothing about it, and after surviving the encounter the Doctor so traumatised he simply wants to gets himself and everyone else off the planet asap rather than find out what the hell it is. That's a Doctor Who first IIRC. It's certainly one of the best "single episode" villains in the series.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Yeah, for single episode villains, it and the Dream Lord seem to be the high water mark, at least for the new series.

SpottedKitty
Jedi Master

Post by SpottedKitty »

Did we ever find out who was behind the Mummy on the Orient Express? IIRC the train's AI was directly responsible for a lot of the mayhem (except for the Mummy's victims), but someone had to set up the whole scenario.
“Despite rumor, Death isn't cruel — merely terribly, terribly good at his job.”
Terry Pratchett, Sourcery
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

It wasn't the train's AI, it was the re-animation stuff in the mummy itself that was the problem
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.