Fighting over the Star Trek Galaxy

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Renewed_Valour1
Padawan Learner

Post by Renewed_Valour1 »

His Divine Shadow wrote:And there will be no problems since the GHC's won't be performing evasive maneuvers since they won't know anyone is there.
Of course you must assume the High Guard to be total morons to fall for this trick more than once. As soon as they catch onto this trick they'll have their ships flying evasively as a standard operating procedure to avoid being surprised. Even when they catch them by surprise the first time they'll have 2 1/2 seconds or more of alert time to go evasive assuming the Imps jump in five seconds away like you said. That's still a lot of time to foul up the ISDs targeting.

It's trick that might surprise them one or two times but in the end they'lll just start jinking and pulling Crazy Ivans as standard operating procedure. That or they can start using apparently tesseract based FTL like the Magog like to use.

His Divine Shadow wrote:hey could lay down about 4800-9600 different positions in a minute and unless the GHC's are doing wild evasive maneuvers I don't see what would be so hard, usually when we see the andromeda heading somwhere it's not in wild crazy maneuvers but a more straight path.
Picture a straight-line 600,000 km on which the GHC can be anywhere when the bolts arrive 5 seconds from when they are fired. Now let's say a TL bolt is 10 meters wide to have a nice round figure which it isn't. If an ISD can fire 10,000 bolts in a minute that places it at being able to fire 833 bolts in that 5 second period. Now figuring 10 meter bolts you can cover 8,300 or 8.3 km meters of space with turbolaser bolts. Now you can cover 8.3 km of a 600,000 km line with TL bolts so you have 1.38 E -5 of that line covered by turbolaser bolts. The ISD will have a hell of a lot less than 1% of that line covered by bolts that have any chance of hitting the GHC. If you add in a few random course changes on the part of the GHC the area of space the ISD can fire into where the GHC might be just gets astronomically larger and the probability of a hit gets reduced even more.

Now you might be starting to understand why no one uses energy weapons much in Andromeda especially considering the problems of them hitting anything are ever bigger because of their sensors.

His Divine Shadow wrote:You pointed it out, I showed it was wrong already, they do protect against gravity, just not very efficently, but thats easily fixed by extending the interial compensators.
A single GHC can salvo enough nova bombs to turn a blackhole into a whitehole. You think the interial compensators stand any chance of compensating for that.
His Divine Shadow wrote:Nova bombs to my information have never exploded for some unknown reasons before they were supposed to hit their targets,
It's called adding a fuse or timer. Not exactly a hard thing to do.
His Divine Shadow wrote: it wouldn't blow the gravity generator apart, it would reverse it's gravity from pull to push, turning into a gravitonic disrupter of sorts, that is assuming the bomb somehow knows it should explode before it actually reaches it's target.
At several points you've mentioned a blackhole in the WD. Blackhole + Nova bombs = Big boom.
His Divine Shadow
Commence Primary Ignition

Post by His Divine Shadow »

Of course you must assume the High Guard to be total morons to fall for this trick more than once. As soon as they catch onto this trick they'll have their ships flying evasively as a standard operating procedure to avoid being surprised. Even when they catch them by surprise the first time they'll have 2 1/2 seconds or more of alert time to go evasive assuming the Imps jump in five seconds away like you said. That's still a lot of time to foul up the ISDs targeting.
It's trick that might surprise them one or two times but in the end they'lll just start jinking and pulling Crazy Ivans as standard operating procedure. That or they can start using apparently tesseract based FTL like the Magog like to use.
Sure then the imps gets AMRE tech too and they can match the Andromedas acceleration, or they get those FTL torpedoe launch tubes.
Picture a straight-line 600,000 km on which the GHC can be anywhere when the bolts arrive 5 seconds from when they are fired. Now let's say a TL bolt is 10 meters wide to have a nice round figure which it isn't. If an ISD can fire 10,000 bolts in a minute that places it at being able to fire 833 bolts in that 5 second period. Now figuring 10 meter bolts you can cover 8,300 or 8.3 km meters of space with turbolaser bolts. Now you can cover 8.3 km of a 600,000 km line with TL bolts so you have 1.38 E -5 of that line covered by turbolaser bolts. The ISD will have a hell of a lot less than 1% of that line covered by bolts that have any chance of hitting the GHC. If you add in a few random course changes on the part of the GHC the area of space the ISD can fire into where the GHC might be just gets astronomically larger and the probability of a hit gets reduced even more.

A NR capital ship had no trouble hitting a target about 100km in diameter from a range of several light hours, that is harder than hitting a target 1% of that size at less than 0,001% of that range, as long as they won't be going around like socalled crazy ivans.
Now you might be starting to understand why no one uses energy weapons much in Andromeda especially considering the problems of them hitting anything are ever bigger because of their sensors.
Oh I do, I also understand why in SW they do use energy weapons, because missiles are not very usefull against jamming.
Wich I think would remove the CW's range advantage.
A single GHC can salvo enough nova bombs to turn a blackhole into a whitehole. You think the interial compensators stand any chance of compensating for that.
No, it would probably act like a thruster for the WD and as a weapon for anyone caught in the wake.
It's called adding a fuse or timer. Not exactly a hard thing to do.
And they would know this how? Would also be hard with heavy jamming, wich is a given, wich will probably make the range advantage alot more even.
At several points you've mentioned a blackhole in the WD. Blackhole + Nova bombs = Big boom
Yes thats what they are called, but the gravity generated by them is not omnidirectional, it's like a tractor beam that sucks in objects.
Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who did not.
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Ahh forgot that

If its a soild State Object then cant you simply Divert it Via Tractor Beams?
You have ten per ISD and they are capable of graping a X-wing when its trying to do everything it can to avoid it

Also don't forget ISD have missile Batterys they can play ABM if they wanted to up to 5 KM away(Though the things are very fast they have ton of launchers so consider it a last line of Defense)

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Renewed_Valour1
Padawan Learner

Post by Renewed_Valour1 »

His Divine Shadow wrote:Sure then the imps gets AMRE tech too and they can match the Andromeda's acceleration, or they get those FTL torpedoe launch tubes.
Of course the Rebels would be more than willing to hand over 200 gigaton turbolasers and shields to the Commonwealth. Along with the Vedrans ability to tesseract makes it get messy. The Imps can't exactly hit a ship that isn't in the same dissension as they are.
His Divine Shadow wrote:A NR capital ship had no trouble hitting a target about 100km in diameter from a range of several light hours, that is harder than hitting a target 1% of that size at less than 0,001% of that range, as long as they won't be going around like socalled crazy ivans. .

Let me guess it was either stationary or traveling at constant speed on a steady course. :roll:

Sure the Imps might be able to hit High Guard ships at range if they shutoff their engines and coast along. Of course the High Guard isn't going to be that stupid and instead will be pulling Crazy Ivans and jinking to avoid being hit.

His Divine Shadow wrote:Oh I do, I also understand why in SW they do use energy weapons, because missiles are not very usefull against jamming. Wich I think would remove the CW's range advantage.
Which I think would be countered by the High Guard's own significant ECM and ECCM ability.

[quote="Yes thats what they are called, but the gravity generated by them is not omnidirectional, it's like a tractor beam that sucks in objects. [/quote]

How powerful is it? Is it omnidirectional by nature or forced that way by the design of the WD? Where do the materials go that enter it? Just how rugged is the WD construction?
His Divine Shadow
Commence Primary Ignition

Post by His Divine Shadow »

Of course the Rebels would be more than willing to hand over 200 gigaton turbolasers and shields to the Commonwealth. Along with the Vedrans ability to tesseract makes it get messy. The Imps can't exactly hit a ship that isn't in the same dissension as they are.
The rebels? How do they know about this new galaxy? How do they even come here? Given the change in priorities that will stop the sequence of events of(read: luck) for the rebels so they'll most likely be destroyed rather quickly.
Can the Vedrans tesseract? Where is this proven? Are the Vedrans in the CW now? What era?
Let me guess it was either stationary or traveling at constant speed on a steady course.

Sure the Imps might be able to hit High Guard ships at range if they shutoff their engines and coast along. Of course the High Guard isn't going to be that stupid and instead will be pulling Crazy Ivans and jinking to avoid being hit.
It was orbiting, the speed of the high guard ships are irrelevant as long as they don't zig-zag all the time, if they travel in a relatively straight line it would not be a problem.
Which I think would be countered by the High Guard's own significant ECM and ECCM ability.
And I don't, because ECM and ECCM in SW have been refined over 25.000 years and some field generators are so strong they affect maneuverability of ships, physically.
How powerful is it? Is it omnidirectional by nature or forced that way by the design of the WD? Where do the materials go that enter it? Just how rugged is the WD construction?
It's not a real black hole, it's just a gravitic emmiter that is used to suck things in.
And in the moouth there is a forcefield that desintegrates matter, Silencer-7 chewed up an entire ISD without problem, and it was not worried about it's hypermatter reactor exploding either.
Rugged? Well they are many more times powerfull than ISD's when mature.

P.S. Please someone put in [Q] and [/Q] tags!
Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who did not.