Another fun webcomic - Parhelion

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Another fun webcomic - Parhelion

Post by madd0ct0r »

https://parhelioncomic.com/comic

It's a fun wee comic about translators, pirates jolly rogering and the fracturing of a failed dream of a better bureaucracy in space.

Things I like:
The art style. It's anarchic, thick, claiigraphic lines, no neat blacklining here. It has energy and is evocative in ways that hyper defined panels don't.
The characters. No superpowers here, just a messy swirl of tyrants, allegiants and ai's
the character design - again, this is a comic that takes advantage of the medium to push really 'out there' aliens, and this works with the art style. For a while you're not sure if a character if AI, robot cyborg or meat, and that is the point the artist is trying to make.

Things I'm less hot on:
The lead characters seem to get out of jail free too many times, although with the swirl of worldbuilding and bountyhunters appearing behind them, I'm not 100% sure this isn't leading into something. That 'helpful' character that just let them go, yeah, would not be surprised if they turn up later with a white cat.
More ships please!

"Aid, trade, green technology and peace." - Hans Rosling.
"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee
Q99
Jedi Council Member

Re: Another fun webcomic - Parhelion

Post by Q99 »

madd0ct0r wrote:https://parhelioncomic.com/comic

It's a fun wee comic about translators, pirates jolly rogering and the fracturing of a failed dream of a better bureaucracy in space.

All good concepts :) I'll give it a look
Q99
Jedi Council Member

Post by Q99 »

Halfway through, and I'm digging it! I like that the attempt to make things better was both genuine, and a good try, it was just killed before it really had a chance, and some like one of our mains still follows the ideals. Sorta, at least.

The characters do move around a lot, there've been times when I expect them to settle into a temporary status quo only for things to continue to move fast instead.
zhongnanhai
Redshirt

Post by zhongnanhai »

Hello, author here! Thanks for the kind words!

I admit, the pacing in the first couple parts is pretty wonky, and the get-out-of-jail-free stuff is mostly a result of me planning out the beginnings of chapters much better than endings. But comeuppance is coming soon to The Boys, in multiple ways.

I also love fan speculation that Ilzo and 49, the helpful folks at Bercna Daaz station, are secretly evil- lord knows the Parhelionverse has enough overtly-evil people already :P

I'm very excited about pages in The Queue, in terms of plot developments, character interactions, art/layout improvements, and standalone moments- I've got pages up to April ready to go!

I'm so happy that people like the theme of pushing the notion of a "single" "living" "being"- I love that stuff in all incarnations, and it merged well with my style for this.

More ships are coming, both "space vessels" and "canon relationships" (and fodder for noncanon ones).
madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Post by madd0ct0r »

I didn't get that vibe off Ilzo and 49, it was the beauracrat shaped like a drooping snow drop that sent them through a hatch in the floor just after they were captured and taken to the planet.
"Aid, trade, green technology and peace." - Hans Rosling.
"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee
zhongnanhai
Redshirt

Post by zhongnanhai »

Oh yeah, Elias and V- I'm drawing their second appearance right around now, but it's with another side character who plays off them in all kinds of fun ways.
Q99
Jedi Council Member

Post by Q99 »

I've completed my readthrough of it, and am now sharing it with friends ^^