What do we know about Command And Conquer Tiberium Sun tech?

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

What do we know

Only the games. Don't trust 'em
11%
Mutants were better. Fight the Machine!
No votes
They'd smack down modern forces
44%
They'd smack down Halo-verse forces
22%
One side makes sense and this is why...
No votes
One tech makes sense and this is why...
No votes
They're dumber then parrots.
22%

Total votes: 9

madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

What do we know about Command And Conquer Tiberium Sun tech?

Post by madd0ct0r »

Throw in the Firestorm expansion as well.

How do the factions rank against each other? Against the Sci-fi death-o-meter?
"Aid, trade, green technology and peace." - Hans Rosling.
"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Re: What do we know about Command And Conquer Tiberium Sun tech?

Post by Batman »

The 'dumber than parrots' option made me giggle :)
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

I really liked the Kodiak ship.
PREDATOR490
Jedi Council Member

Post by PREDATOR490 »

I can only vote they would smack down modern day forces

I like Command and Conquer but:
A) It does not age well technologically
B) Most of the tech in there IS supposed to be modern day / futuristic
C) You could have a hilarious situation if you put CnC against Terminator

The factions have some interesting toys but how much are you really going to take game mechanics as face value of faction capabilities ?

It is going to be fairly ludicrous to assume CnC forces are going to be able to employ the fantastic construction capabilities seen in the games. One large MCV that can construct a gigantic base within minutes and production facilities capable of pushing out fresh Mammoth Tanks based on the harvesting of the magic material Tiberium.
madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Post by madd0ct0r »

i seem to recall the mission completion scene having a much faster 'in game' clock with 1min play ~ 1 week?
"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Do we have reason to think the technology is inferior to real life, and if so, why?
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

Nod, which I'll note starts off in Libya in its original campaign, seemed pretty literally to be like ISIL but funded by Tiberium instead of oil, and it fly in its weapons after buying them. The idea of armies going around looting tiberium to fund the war, and since Tiberium is toxic they can do this better then civilians, was pretty cool. The weapons were pretty much real life, but possibly with more powerful explosives then anything fielded today.

The Nob super laser tech and Banshee plasma ball stuff seemed like it probably had more advantage from not needing ammo then from specific firepower. This would be useful to a mobile terror army, while GDI still just spams MLRS launchers...that now fly.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Post by madd0ct0r »

GDI disc throwers are weird. Super effective in game, but then you have schmucks throwing those discs the range of a minigun. Maybe some sort of throw assist tech?

GDI stompas tech is pretty silly, especially when they don't seem to wade rivers.
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

It was explicitly a bionic/power assisted arm to make that work. I would tend to ignore in game ranges.

Actually disk shaped missiles make sense on paper for certain purposes and disk shaped hand grenades were a popular concept idea in WW2 because they'd have more throwing range then egg shapes, without the bulk of stick grenades, but practical problems prevented any I can think of from entering service. The problem was like most attempts to design new grenades they ran into competing demands, and the problem that it's hard to beat a simple egg grenade in any useful sense. One project I can think of failed not because of the disk but because they also wanted a safe and reliable all ways ( going off no matter the angle of impact) impact fuse, and that just proved impossible at the time.

I'd be confident the original C&C creators knew about those disk grenades, Sun was the last game anyone from Westwood worked on and those guys knew their stuff.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
PREDATOR490
Jedi Council Member

Post by PREDATOR490 »

This is the only game that I never actually got into. Mostly because the story lost my interest very quickly.

As far as the story goes though, NODs crowning achievement for a 'super' weapon is getting their hands on a Nuclear Weapon. Meanwhile, GDI have access to entire stockpiles but they do not need them because they have the all powerful Ion Cannon. The major issue is that most of the capabilities of CnC rely on game mechanics which are never going to mesh well with reality.
madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Post by madd0ct0r »

Ion Cannon fits for GDI as it is so clean and precise. It's a planet being consumed by alien lifeforms, the last thing they need is leaving the few habitable zones radioactive.

Nod super weapons - uhh, in game they have some good ones. Tiberium Gas bombs and towards the end of the game GDI campaign there's a nod super tank equipped with shields, two obelisks of light and some other stuff. It's an almost unbeatable enemy to give you a race against the clock to achieve the actual objective.
hunter5
Padawan Learner

Post by hunter5 »

I got weirded out by the apparent drop in technology between Tiberium sun and CnC3