Djangostrict 9 Unchained

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Djangostrict 9 Unchained

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

I just realized, well... PeZook and I conversed...and well, turns out that this:

Is reminiscent on people's ideas of how District 9 prawns were mostly drone breeds that needed leader classes like Christopher Johnson. Exceptional bright boys compared to the lower masses. THE SCIENCE OF XENOPHRENOLOGY.

Like, I think the MNU characters in the film itself espoused that, and I think actual audience members and folks here theorized that as well.

Which reminds me of my (and many others'!) observations on nerd cultures - at least American ones - back when all those arguments about blue-skinned natives with spears vs. VTOLs vs. orbital bombardments in Avatar.

I mean, of course the Prawns' interstellar refugee shtick, being lost, unable to repair their tech, all that, maybe they were a bunch of space accountants or space tourists and along the way to the tropical hive-beaches of the Grimlak System their ship malfunctioned and they were marooned on Earth. But obviously they degenerated in a way that would totally be unlike what happens to proper humans ever!

Cause if a thousand SDNetters on some boat got marooned elsewhere, of course unlike the Prawns' hordes of drones, they wouldn't degenerate but would thrive and unfold their 1950s GRAPHS and would make highly defensible communities that could spew enough gigajoules' worth of spherical masses of iron to defeat the Orcs at Helm's Deep or something RAR. :P
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Re: Djangostrict 9 Unchained

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Tangent:

RAR! What if everyone in SDN was placed in a marooned but futuretech-filled spaceship on a late 20th century tech-using bug-filled world in an interment camp for thirty years being fed carnival-grade meat and either deliberately or through neglect being made addicted to catfood buckets of high fructose corn syrup. :P
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

The only issue is that in the movie, the Prawns starved themselves for a long period of time on board their ship until the humans forced themselves in, finding them dying. Maybe Prawn accountants are even less creative than human ones, because they never tried to open the door to ask for help.

Though, it could all be MNU propaganda and the Prawns were tourists examining the human wildlife from a close viewing distance until the wildlife attacked and kicked them out of their interstellar Range Rover.

Though, the ship they got from Interstellar Rent-a-ship was a bit of a jalopy, pieces of it kept falling off and hitting the native human wildlife.

EDIT: Maybe it's a cultural thing, and they follow a warped version of the prime directive, so to avoid cultural contamination, they simply starved themselves?
Starglider
Miles Dyson

Post by Starglider »

Ah, 1950s graphs. Many online forums have arguments about sci-fi scenarios with excessive technical detail, but the random mid-20th-century military-industrial graphs were a particularly SDN thing. I confess participating in those discussions left me with the firm belief that a means of overcoming any calamity can be found if one merely searches through enough obscure vintage RAND Corporation studies.
Zeropoint
Jedi Knight

Post by Zeropoint »

Like, I think the MNU characters in the film itself espoused that, and I think actual audience members and folks here theorized that as well.
I was always a little confused about that. The movie never told us that; what we saw was some characters within the movie speculating that it might be the case, which I took to be a blatantly obvious reference to what whites have said about blacks. Hell, the movie is set in South Africa, a country with a long and contentious history of racism--that should be a major clue that you should be on the lookout for high levels of prejudice.
I'm a cis-het white male, and I oppose racism, sexism, homophobia, and transphobia. I support treating all humans equally.

When fascism came to America, it was wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross.

That which will not bend must break and that which can be destroyed by truth should never be spared its demise.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

FaxModem1 wrote:The only issue is that in the movie, the Prawns starved themselves for a long period of time on board their ship until the humans forced themselves in, finding them dying. Maybe Prawn accountants are even less creative than human ones, because they never tried to open the door to ask for help.
Alternatively, maybe they thought the humans would treat them savagely and that their only hope of survival was to keep the humans out? That they would be better off staying buttoned up tight and waiting for rescue (which never came?)
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

Simon_Jester wrote:
FaxModem1 wrote:The only issue is that in the movie, the Prawns starved themselves for a long period of time on board their ship until the humans forced themselves in, finding them dying. Maybe Prawn accountants are even less creative than human ones, because they never tried to open the door to ask for help.
Alternatively, maybe they thought the humans would treat them savagely and that their only hope of survival was to keep the humans out? That they would be better off staying buttoned up tight and waiting for rescue (which never came?)
Canon wise, it turns out they are actually drones, whose leader/queen had died out due to a virus from some other planet, and the ship's computer took them to the nearest inhabited planet, sadly populated by assholes (us), and and Christopher Johnson is their version of a queen actually maturing after enough time(2 decades) to actually try and lead the Prawns off the planet. Source

But let's take Death of the Author into account, and just say that it's all MNU propaganda.

Why didn't they arm themselves in suits and weapons when meeting the hairless apes down below, request food for trade of knowledge, some tech, etc. or simply communicate at all with the people down below to tell them to stay away? Why didn't Christopher Johnson or someone like him try and gather fuel while everyone on board was running out of food? Did no one know how to turn on the radio? Was the radio beyond repair? Did no one know how to write something down on a crate or whatever and tell the humans to stay away? If nothing else, it would have bought them time while waiting for rescue or to repair their ship.

If they're all intelligent, they had a few dozen ways to improve their situation before the humans storm their ship after patiently waiting a few weeks for the alien ship to make the first move with no response.

Otherwise, it comes off as if they're Vogons:

Bob: Hey guys, I know we ran out of food a month ago, and most of us have been refraining from cannibalism, which kudos, but I wanted to talk about the idea that's been kicked around. Mostly, that we should ask the creatures below for help.
Chris Johnson: Well, we could work together to collect the fluid from the ship to fuel the tech and make repairs. Either fly home or make a distress signal.
Bob: You see, Chris, if we do that, we'd actually have to work, and the union rules haven't cleared anyone for overtime. We also don't have the proper forms to do so.
Chris: Okayyyyyyyyyy, well, how about we try and manually open the ship's airlocks to both let in fresh air and communicate with the inhabitants. We can try and trade food that we can eat for some knicknacks or starcharts. Maybe buy time while we get out a distress signal or for the fleet to find us.
Bob: I don't know about you, Chris, but I don't have clearance to talk to the aliens below. I sure didn't get a 312-Red First Contact form signed and stamped from HQ when we left. Besides, what if they're hostile?
Chris: Good point, maybe we should have a few guys arm up with guns and suits in case things go badly?
Bob: Whoa whoa whoa. And who is going to pay for the expense of using those? You know we can't officially use any Prawn-Corp TM gear unless it's for officially sanctioned missions.
Chris: So, to sum up, we can't repair the ship because we don't want to call for help, leave the planet, negotiate or even contact the locals. What does that leave us?
Bob: Glad you asked, we starve until all of us are dead. It might be unpleasant, but at least we won't be violating company policy.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

If we're looking for non-idiot explanations to all this:
Why didn't they arm themselves in suits and weapons when meeting the hairless apes down below, request food for trade of knowledge, some tech, etc. or simply communicate at all with the people down below to tell them to stay away?
They may have (incorrectly) assumed humans would mob them if they exited the craft, and that a handful of Prawns in suits would be no match for the entire planet of humans. If they exit the ship, and the humans attack them but take losses, the humans might be infuriated and destroy the ship before they can escape.

No, better to sit tight and wait for rescue or try to effect repairs, unlikely though it may be that the repairs could succeed. At least, might appear true until the occupants are at the very brink of death, the point where anything would be better than just dying in the next week. Do we know for sure the aliens were that desperate before humans blasted their way in?

Maybe they have a lot of experience with planets full of 'savage' aliens who are nearly impossible to communicate with, or at least extremely unhelpful and hostile to refugees.
Why didn't Christopher Johnson or someone like him try and gather fuel while everyone on board was running out of food?
Maybe they tried and failed? Maybe doing that is a project that takes years of effort and study for all but the most ingenious people- the equivalent of building an advanced reactor in a cave from a box of scraps, rather than the equivalent of making alcohol in a still.
Did no one know how to turn on the radio? Was the radio beyond repair?
Maybe the radio was irreparable, or the ship was out of communications range. Or maybe they sent out a distress call and nobody came. Maybe they're refugees all right, but they're fleeing from a government that would hunt them down if it knew where to find them.
Did no one know how to write something down on a crate or whatever and tell the humans to stay away? If nothing else, it would have bought them time while waiting for rescue or to repair their ship.
That might have helped, but then it might not have, especially since the humans wouldn't know how to read alien writing.
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

They later DID operate their killtech when they became squatters.

And heck, their childspawning techniques involved making ridiculous weirdobiopunky meat-machines (because birthing or egg laying or other normal forms of breeding was not ZEFF ENUFF for gangsta neill blomkamp!) which they somehow did.

Maybe presumably by the time they arrived on Earth on their messed up ship, they probably experienced a loooong time of super-malnutrition and lacked the wherewithal to do anything at all... or heck, the remaining Prawns on the ship were second generation survivors who Mad Max 3'd and are all NEVER NEVER LAND and HIGHSCRAPERS and CAPTAIN WALKER!!! while Lord of the Fliesings.

And like Christopher Johnson was only smart enough cause he found that command-module-ship and it contained their equivalent of chemistry books, which as we've seen in documentaries can enable one-armed S-MART storeclerks to teach medieval peasants how to make gunpowder and cybernetic limbs. Shop Smart. Shop S-Mart. YA GOT THAT?!

Christopher Johnson might have been a second-generation one himself? Or even if he was a first-generation one... maybe initially he DIDN'T know how to do shit too and again, the chemistry textbooks stored in the trunk of that Oldsmobile command module edjumacated him.

Look. I'm sure SOOTH EFFRICKA can also put marooned crash survivors through some convoluted nonsensical bullshit. If a JJ Abrams TV series can do that... then why not SOOTH EFFRICKA, huh?

In Spacemerica its bling bling but out here it's...

Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

But the main point of this thread is not the kilojoules of the prawns. But in the sci-fi nerd audience tendencies. Of both prawns and blue space cats harpooning shitty pigfucking Space American troops.

I swear, if one of those RARs ended up real, lots of people here would probably end up in mecha suits (or VTOLs or IFVs without CLEAR GLASS CANOPIES ) and end up getting harpooned by blue cat zoe salecadeada.

And I would totally sell all you guise out.

And look! Simon_Jester is a SCIENCE MAJOR and I bet he'll also be a TRAITOR!!!!

Better don the space fascist regalia and the lightsaber-proof electro-nightsticks.
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

To be fair, the electro-nightsticks are pretty classy. That one stormtrooper may have been one of the bad guys, but he went out with style. I respect that.

But yeah, there are a lot of possible explanations for how alien refugees could end up stranded on Earth and at our mercy and how they could be abused by us. Explanations very different from "the aliens are a bunch of inferior subhuman mindless drones until one smart alien comes along to save them." I think District 9 had the potential to stake out even bolder ground by having taken a stronger stance on this, claiming that the aliens are not stupid or subhuman and that we're treating them badly because we routinely treat other kinds of refugees and 'aliens' badly.
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Also to be fair:

At least fascists - because fascists always look good - end up dying awesomely too. Even the nerdy bespectacled theozoologistic ones get their faces melted awesomely by God. (Like, if people here actually got into pro-wrestling and became like Vince McMahon, then they'd be totally God-proof, they could beat God AND Shawn Michaels... but people here are probably too pretentious for wrestling... like Dawkins, for all their militant atheism. Werner Herzog, a nihilistic grimdark German, appreciates wrestling. That is why he - unlike countless many others - has the right to expound upon the nightmarishness of nature and Nicholas Cage encapsulating true evil in Bad Detective Port of Call New Orleans).
Simon_Jester wrote:But yeah, there are a lot of possible explanations for how alien refugees could end up stranded on Earth and at our mercy and how they could be abused by us. Explanations very different from "the aliens are a bunch of inferior subhuman mindless drones until one smart alien comes along to save them." I think District 9 had the potential to stake out even bolder ground by having taken a stronger stance on this, claiming that the aliens are not stupid or subhuman and that we're treating them badly because we routinely treat other kinds of refugees and 'aliens' badly.
I think the movie didn't really avoid it either. Which was why PeZook noticed it more so than usual, I think (he also thought Chappie was awesome... AND HE'S RIGHT). I mean, Neill Blomkamp does this in EVERY movie, it's ALWAYS some kind of apartheid analogy. The other really close to home explanations could have been emphasized more... but I think there was some kind of... naturalistic Rorschach's test thing in making the aliens' appearances and behaviors seemingly inexplicable - they ARE aliens! I mean, humans already failed to humanize fellow humans doing human things. Historically. So while yeah, the movie could've used some humanization (though not to the degree of making them bluecat injuns) for narrative sense and such, on the other hand at this point beyond the fourth wall... it really doesn't have to do anything.

I guess that's another bias. The burden of showing non-savagery? Why should that fall on one party, while no one has the burden of... *not* assuming savagery on part of The Other?

The Other always has the burden of presenting respectability. Whereas The We has no burdens and can be free to assume whatever they want of the Other. Even nightmarish assumptions.

PURE IDEOLOGY

*sniff*

Just like in my beloved Yugoslavian Army.

(look, the blurred background also has technogigajoules! a sci-fi background so everyone will be happy!)
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

I mean for fuck's sake, people already fail to humanize actual humans living right next door or in the inner cities who are doing human things.

My country fails to do this and like 5,000 have been summarily executed in almost just as many months. (Similar, but lower-intensity, horrors went on during the preceding years/decades) And large segments of people utterly don't care. There's media of the dead's families. And people don't care. Expressions of care and concern actually cause outrage.

Even educated people don't care at this bloodbath. Just like how we've seen the rhetoric of very intelligent, scientifically literate and mathematically really apt people convey utter callousness in the essence of their sentiments - here and there and elsewhere.

So I think in some way, making some sentient man-sized amoebiatic sea slugs more or less humanistic to convey humanism is absolutely pointless at this juncture of the world. They could have been shown to be human - their entire lives, as entirely-human-appearing people, could have been depicted, from the moment they emerged from their wombs. And it would not matter. To the audiences. To the public. To the world.

We're in Grave of the Fireflies territory at this point.
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Shroom Man 777 wrote:I think the movie didn't really avoid it either. Which was why PeZook noticed it more so than usual, I think (he also thought Chappie was awesome... AND HE'S RIGHT). I mean, Neill Blomkamp does this in EVERY movie, it's ALWAYS some kind of apartheid analogy. The other really close to home explanations could have been emphasized more... but I think there was some kind of... naturalistic Rorschach's test thing in making the aliens' appearances and behaviors seemingly inexplicable - they ARE aliens! I mean, humans already failed to humanize fellow humans doing human things. Historically. So while yeah, the movie could've used some humanization (though not to the degree of making them bluecat injuns) for narrative sense and such, on the other hand at this point beyond the fourth wall... it really doesn't have to do anything.
Well, no. It did what it did. What I'm saying is that when the authors released information saying "canonically, the bulk of the alien refugees are stupid and inferior," they reduced the impact of their own film.
I guess that's another bias. The burden of showing non-savagery? Why should that fall on one party, while no one has the burden of... *not* assuming savagery on part of The Other?

The Other always has the burden of presenting respectability. Whereas The We has no burdens and can be free to assume whatever they want of the Other. Even nightmarish assumptions.
That's a good reflection.

Me, I sympathize more with fearful beings cooped up inside a wrecked ship waiting for rescue that will never come, afraid of the whole planet full of aliens outside the ship. And less with the beings who take alien refugees and herd them into an internment camp because they are assumed to be too stupid to take care of themselves and be treated as equals.

Then again, the purely speculative possibility that the District Nine aliens are used to treating other aliens as crazy savages, and that this motivated their initial failure to reach out to us until we had them at our mercy, is also interesting. And does leave us to think about how we might find ourselves in a similar position some day, with a starship full of humans stranded on an alien planet, similarly unable to get help or fix the ship, and similarly afraid to reach out to the native aliens of that planet until the situation is so dire that they're doing it from a position of weakness.

Even if this is not exactly what is portrayed in the movie District Nine, it's interesting food for thought.
Swindle1984
Jedi Master

Post by Swindle1984 »

*walks into the room, looks around, backs out carefully, removes his JNA uniform and Remove Kebab shoulder patch, then reenters*

Chris specifically had to fly the command module/escape pod thingy into space to go get help. Either the main ship's communications system was messed up, or they have FTL drive but no FTL comms, necessitating that a ship go to get help unless they wanted to wait a LONG time for a distress signal to arrive.

Whatever went wrong might not have been with the prawn ship, but the prawns themselves. What if they were all stupid, unmotivated, etc. because a disease, malnutrition, or something else affected them? What if they're all normally as smart and resourceful as Chris, but either something happened or a lack of something made them all less intelligent and more naive? We've seen that humans expect prawns to be naive and gullible; what if they are, just like many mentally handicapped humans?

The black goop isn't just useful for repairing their technology, it turned Dickface McGee (can't be bothered to remember the main character's name... Wickus? Dickface.) into a prawn, allowing him to interact with their technology and even gave him an intuitive idea of how to operate some of it. What if the prawns need regular injections of that stuff to be smart, for some reason? And they ran out and all slowly became stupid, only a handful of them just smart enough to plot a course for a habitable planet nearby before their brains leaked out their ears? Then Chris came in contact with some and got smart enough to start salvaging more, with the goal of getting off this godforsaken hellhole and getting help for his now-retarded brethren? Or he was smart all along and spent all that time salvaging what he could while avoiding human suspicion?

Hell, what if the prawns were just passengers and something happened to the crew? How many civilians on modern day Earth know how to operate a cruise ship if the crew all gets sick and dies? Or knows how to operate complicated military equipment if the trained soldiers all die in a disaster? How many of you know how to operate a HAM radio? They might have been immigrants moving to one of the sweet new colonies on the frontier when something went horribly wrong, one of the crew programmed the ship to divert to the nearest habitable planet before he died, and none of the passengers could figure out how to get the doors open or land the ship? Hell, what if they were trapped inside because the doors broke and they had to wait for someone to rescue them from the outside because they couldn't operate the heavy machinery needed to force the doors open?

There's a million possibilities here.

But basically, Neil just needed an excuse to make an "apartheid was bad, humans are dicks" movie, which seems to be the consistent theme in all of his work.
Your ad here.
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Simon_Jester wrote:That's a good reflection.

Me, I sympathize more with fearful beings cooped up inside a wrecked ship waiting for rescue that will never come, afraid of the whole planet full of aliens outside the ship. And less with the beings who take alien refugees and herd them into an internment camp because they are assumed to be too stupid to take care of themselves and be treated as equals.

Then again, the purely speculative possibility that the District Nine aliens are used to treating other aliens as crazy savages, and that this motivated their initial failure to reach out to us until we had them at our mercy, is also interesting. And does leave us to think about how we might find ourselves in a similar position some day, with a starship full of humans stranded on an alien planet, similarly unable to get help or fix the ship, and similarly afraid to reach out to the native aliens of that planet until the situation is so dire that they're doing it from a position of weakness.

Even if this is not exactly what is portrayed in the movie District Nine, it's interesting food for thought.
Ultimately even without pseudo-apartheiding Sooth Effrickens we see that after who knows how many generations of being cooped up and malnourished and THEN released to a confined shithole slum... people like all other peoples will end up breaking down into some vicious shitshow cycle.

And we've seen this happen to humans without spaceships or other planets - in this planet - ANYWAY.
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

I think that's the horror of routine, Shroom. You see enough of the same thing over and over, and you get used to it. And if nothing else, people have gotten used to things getting awful, and think that if they just continue walking, it's not their problem.

Nowhere near the scale of horror that's near you, but a couple weeks ago I left the theater after watching a show(free tickets), for a parking garage, and walking right past an entire street of homeless people clutching to blankets and garbage bags, trying to keep warm. I was stuck in place, and felt awful for having just seen a show in a warm theater and was about to drive home while dozens of people were shivering and clutching to each other for warmth in the rain.

Everyone else who had been in the show just walked by and regarded the homeless as if they weren't there. It was as if the people poorer than them were utterly invisible and non-existent.

On topic:
I cared about the Prawns from District 9 almost immediately, because people were being mean to them, and they seemed really human in a lot of ways, but couldn't really give a crap about the blue elf cat people in Avatar. I recognized the crap that was being done to the Na'vi, but they were such a race of 'perfect Mary Sues' that I couldn't care if they won or lost.

The fact that the director said that the Prawns are just stupid without special brainjuice does kind of make it to where the Prawns needed a helping hand to survive. But that doesn't make the humans any less awful, it just means that they were picking on a ship of disabled people.
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Swindle1984 wrote:Hell, what if the prawns were just passengers and something happened to the crew? How many civilians on modern day Earth know how to operate a cruise ship if the crew all gets sick and dies? Or knows how to operate complicated military equipment if the trained soldiers all die in a disaster? How many of you know how to operate a HAM radio? They might have been immigrants moving to one of the sweet new colonies on the frontier when something went horribly wrong, one of the crew programmed the ship to divert to the nearest habitable planet before he died, and none of the passengers could figure out how to get the doors open or land the ship? Hell, what if they were trapped inside because the doors broke and they had to wait for someone to rescue them from the outside because they couldn't operate the heavy machinery needed to force the doors open?
YES this. For all we know when that ship was fully functional, the prawns were pretty much the humans from WALL-E. :P

Maybe if Christopher Johnson drank the black liquid... he wouldn't turn into a supersmart prawn... he'd turn into a super fat WALL-E human! Because see, it Sharlto Copley took it and turned into a prawn... obviously a prawn taking it will turn a prawn into a South African! :P :D

But yes. A lack of vital vitamins or nutrients in crucial developmental stages WILL result in humans growing up with significant impairments. Iodine deficiency, Vitamin A deficiency, etc. Resulting in cretinism and whatever.

Even without weirdo xenobio-eco-genetic factors, for all we know... Christopher Johnson was a limp-dicked science major who could McGuyver things out.

Whereas the other prawns who "degenerated" were just... a bunch of suburbanites or trailerparkers who were being dispatched to some white picket fence space town by the Space Neighborhood Association. And when their ship broke down and started drifting for fifty years in space (or whatever), their liberal arts degrees and social media optimization and experiences in artisanal tibanna gas huffing and space-quinua cooking techniques and Pod-Race NASCARing and Space Football scholarships and encyclopedic knowledge of Keeping Up With The Cardassians... all meant jack shit. And then they screwed up and their children and their children's children ended up being up a shit creek without a space-paddle.

We've already seen this in documentaries like MAD MAX 3: BEYOND THUNDERDOME.

Like, except under the South African gov't's regime, Christopher Johnson couldn't have pulled a Tina Turner and rebuilt society thanks to THUNDERDOOOOMMMMEEEE!!!!!!

Two prawns enter one prawn leave.

FaxModem1 wrote:Everyone else who had been in the show just walked by and regarded the homeless as if they weren't there. It was as if the people poorer than them were utterly invisible and non-existent.
Yeah, that's ordinary everywhere.

So the inspirational lesson is... everyday life IS a Neill Blomkamp movie.

DON'T STEAL DADDY'S CAR! GO TO SLEEP! FUCKMOTHERS!
On topic:
I cared about the Prawns from District 9 almost immediately, because people were being mean to them, and they seemed really human in a lot of ways, but couldn't really give a crap about the blue elf cat people in Avatar. I recognized the crap that was being done to the Na'vi, but they were such a race of 'perfect Mary Sues' that I couldn't care if they won or lost.
This is because James Cameron hit menopause.

I think if James Cameron was thrown back through time to see apartheid as a young person then I think his movies would be great again and would feature great acting talents like NINJA and YOLANDI VISSER and the wonderfully articulate SHARLTO COPLEY. Rather than Sam Worthington.

I bet if NINJA and YOLANDI VISSER were Na'vi, if Na'vi culture were derived from DIE ANTWOORD music videos, if an alien race was built on that... and if it was SHARLTO COPLEY as some... SADF veteran of Angola... uploading his mind into a robo-na'vi body DECKED OUT IN BLINGS! then Apartheidvatar would have been so much more resonant!
The fact that the director said that the Prawns are just stupid without special brainjuice does kind of make it to where the Prawns needed a helping hand to survive. But that doesn't make the humans any less awful, it just means that they were picking on a ship of disabled people.
Picking on a ship of larval-staged children then.

Holy fuck what if the ship was ferrying larva-staged prawns - children - for some colony project.

What if the ship was a fucking space magical schoolbus x 1000000 in size.

Christopher Johnson was like the 1st honor student. With a Super Smart GPA.

A lot of the others were on football scholarships.

Or the Prawn equivalent of the Glee club.

Christopher Johnson's kid was the product of a teen pregnancy in space. Aw crap.
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Anyway my main thrust - which I guess is hard to articulate - is just... the sheer callousness and pseudo-fascism of nerd subcultures. Certain ones.

Kind of like how, I think Wong, recently pointed out that a lot of Trekkies tend to... somehow someway construe some fascist militaristic shit out of the works of Gene Roddenberry of all people.
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

Shroom Man 777 wrote:
Picking on a ship of larval-staged children then.

Holy fuck what if the ship was ferrying larva-staged prawns - children - for some colony project.

Christopher Johnson's kid was the product of a teen pregnancy in space. Aw crap.
That.....makes so much sense that's it's utterly horrifying. Prawn school bus loses it's driver, teachers, and guardians, and only the one TA on board can try and fix anything. Everyone else is doing catfood drugs to take away from the pain of their lives in dark alleys.
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

LORD OF THE PRAWNS.

(never saw it though)

BATTLE PRAWNYALE
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

My greatest disappointment is that when District 10 does happen, it's almost certainly not going to be two solid hours of the prawn military-equivalent wrecking human face with no hope for the mammals. Far more likely and depressing is the notion that Christopher will get to the prawn homeworld and the prawn leaders won't care.
Shroom Man 777 wrote: Picking on a ship of larval-staged children then.

This is now my headcanon.

Of course, before we entirely uncritically worship Blokamp, let's just remember how the film depicts Nigerians.
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

In the original pilot video, the interviewed xenophobic reactions of the people were actually responses to questions asking about Nigerian immigrants.
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!