The Expanse Season 2 Trailers

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Re: The Expanse Season 2 Trailers

Postby Galvatron » 2017-02-23 03:08pm

I have access to this show via Amazon Prime. Is it worth my time?

Imperial Overlord
Emperor's Hand

Postby Imperial Overlord » 2017-02-23 03:25pm

FireNexus wrote:
Imperial Overlord wrote:Firing PDCs doesn't really complicate the heat management situation because you're firing PDCs at enemy ships at close range or missiles that engage you. You're invisibility has already failed when PDCs matter. The need to keep them in emplacements with retractable covers when or something similar when being stealthy out of battle might limit their fire arc.

Of the firing PDCs I'm worried about. It's the mounting of them. To keep this thing from leaking IR just from the heat it produces during normal operations is probably incredibly difficult. It would take sophisticated mechanisms with materials that absorb radiation in specific patterns across its surface. The more holes (for cables, as an example) you put on the surface, the more likely someone is going to see that.

Yes, we agreed. As with just about everything else. The ship is going to have similar problems with mounting sensors and comm arrays as well. That's why the PDCs appear to be in mounted in areas that be can be shielded with retractable covers. IR from the guns when not in operation isn't going to be a big problem compared to IR from the ship's drive because its a stealth ship in a universe where long sustained burns are possible and its going to have to able to make those. That's undoubtedly one of the reasons they get detected at combat ranges when active. There's only so much you can do to hide a fusion drive.
The Excellent Prismatic Spray. For when you absolutely, positively must kill a motherfucker. Accept no substitutions. Contact a magician of the later Aeons for details. Some conditions may apply.

Librium Arcana

Adam Reynolds
Jedi Council Member

Postby Adam Reynolds » 2017-02-23 04:23pm

Galvatron wrote:I have access to this show via Amazon Prime. Is it worth my time?

I would say absolutely yes. The Expanse is one of the best attempts to portray realistic physics in spaceflight while still having a story that is based on character rather than technobabble. Season 1 can be a little slow at times, but it is still well worth it.

Batman
Emperor's Hand

Postby Batman » 2017-02-23 06:38pm

I'm with Adam. I consider this well worth watching, and I not only never read, I never heard of the books this is based on until the series came around.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kids with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'

Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Postby Iroscato » 2017-02-23 07:50pm

I'll add my fuck yes to the chorus. Season 2 especially is ramping shit up magnificently.
Yeah, I've always taken the subtext of the Birther movement to be, "The rules don't count here! This is different! HE'S BLACK! BLACK, I SAY! ARE YOU ALL BLIND!?

- Raw Shark

Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent.

- SirNitram (RIP)

Imperial Overlord
Emperor's Hand

Postby Imperial Overlord » 2017-02-24 02:04am

The series is definitely worth your time. The books are also worth reading.
The Excellent Prismatic Spray. For when you absolutely, positively must kill a motherfucker. Accept no substitutions. Contact a magician of the later Aeons for details. Some conditions may apply.

Librium Arcana

FireNexus
Cookie

Postby FireNexus » 2017-02-24 09:10am

Galvatron wrote:I have access to this show via Amazon Prime. Is it worth my time?

Yes. The first few episodes are kinda slow, and the first season as a whole is a bet less even than I'd've preferred, but it's overall really good and hits the ground running with a few stumbles after episode 4.

To be honest, given the first half of season 2 (which closes out book one) my biggest complaint is probably that they didn't just cram the whole book into the season.
Tobacco free since 24/11/2008.

"My son was a huge Darth Vader freak from when he was about two to when he was about four. When he was four, he figured out that Vader was a really bad guy. I think it crushed him." -- Knife

"New Rule: There's nothing wrong with putting Jesus on the Florida License plate. He's a 2000 year old Jew. Where else would he live?"

Christians love to say that everyone is equally unworthy but they're empty words. In my experience, they all say it but they all secretly "know" that they are less unworthy than you are. -- Darth Wong

Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Postby Iroscato » 2017-02-24 08:11pm

This season - and the last two episodes in particular - have cemented this show as one of my absolute all-time faves.

Holy shit.
Yeah, I've always taken the subtext of the Birther movement to be, "The rules don't count here! This is different! HE'S BLACK! BLACK, I SAY! ARE YOU ALL BLIND!?

- Raw Shark

Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent.

- SirNitram (RIP)

Adam Reynolds
Jedi Council Member

Postby Adam Reynolds » 2017-02-24 09:07pm

My only concern with season 2 that I don't quite see how they will keep escalating from here. They took the climax to the first book and put it into the middle of the season. How can you go bigger than
Spoiler
the protomolecule infected Eros headed on a collision course with Earth?

There are more than enough loose ends, but I don't quite see where they are going.