The Expanse Season 2 Trailers

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Gaidin
Sith Devotee

Re: The Expanse Season 2 Trailers

Post by Gaidin »

Shroom Man 777 wrote: Do the books make sense of the Martian agriculture? I imagine that synthetic biology and nuclear fusion-powered plant-growing things or some kind of space fungus or whatever enables their mass production?
No more than they ever manage to make sense of how one would manage to put Ganymede together. The two are insanely different insanely balanced worlds given what they are trying to do and if you start removing parts you'd see them collapse. As you literally see Ganymede do on screen. Since the Moon, Mars, the Asteroids, the Outer Moons, and the Space Stations are just that sensitive to removal of parts within their own systems it gets interesting. The only one that can stand on its relative own is Earth since it has its own natural atmosphere. But then what can it do without resource import from the Outers given its insane population?
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

Books didn't make much sense of the Martian agriculture. The guys writing them are good at exploring political dynamics of various movements and governments, but they're not totally good at thinking things through to the very end. Like with Ganymede. I won't spoil it, but the massive plot point of book 2 (irreversible collapse of artificial ecosystems) gets pretty much handwaved away by book 6.

That said, books are good and represent a high point in near-future space opera, though character shields apply way too much for a setting where none of the characters have any superpowers.
Lì ci sono chiese, macerie, moschee e questure, lì frontiere, prezzi inaccessibile e freddure
Lì paludi, minacce, cecchini coi fucili, documenti, file notturne e clandestini
Qui incontri, lotte, passi sincronizzati, colori, capannelli non autorizzati,
Uccelli migratori, reti, informazioni, piazze di Tutti i like pazze di passioni...

...La tranquillità è importante ma la libertà è tutto!
Assalti Frontali
Gaidin
Sith Devotee

Post by Gaidin »

Spoiler
Well, to wit, mars was presented as the planet that had already gone through all those troubles and their problem came when people literally started leaving for actual livable planets and things couldn't be maintained. They had that sustainable society but people left. Elsewhere, where Ganymede was a disaster, other belter locations were purposely starved. You start removing or dicking with the elements of the balance of the survival of these places and things kinda go to hell.
FireNexus
Cookie

Post by FireNexus »

I'm not sure why they were so coy about The Expanse tie in here? Or did I miss something glaring?
I had a Bill Maher quote here. But fuck him for his white privelegy "joke".

All the rest? Too long.
GuppyShark
Sith Devotee

Post by GuppyShark »

Preamble: Didn't read the books, just going off the show.

I just caught up with the Expanse.

Ironically what I am most intrigued about isn't who has what McGuffin (the cliffhanger the show ended on) but the character of Amos.

He's so weird. I've never seen a character so openly willing to divest himself of the challenge of morality. In S1 he just delegates it to another. In S2 he is offered the opportunity to remove it completely, but we are not told whether or not he accepted that offer. So every action he takes in S2 I was trying to figure out if he had taken the offer or if this was more of his old character.

This was my favorite part of the show because it was so weird.